Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks.
I finally got around to getting my Dark Scout classic suspension kit on my bike, and got to give her a good flogging.. First thing to say, I'm pretty Damn sure I've waited longer in line at McDonalds for a McDub, then I had to wait for the kit to come from the other side of the globe, from Australia, to the Colonies! Gnarly...
What I can say, about the kit is this, his research and development really really shows.. Ive been around the block with suspension in my days I've spent thousands on having my bikes dialed in by experts and by buying all the brands.. I've also spent hours and hours on it, getting it right on my bikes, so, I've got some frame of reference.
Back to the DS boingers. As tony the tiger would say,, there grrrrreat! Perfect. You simply can not.. will not find a better set up for the money, ANYWHERE. put your F#$K'n hands down..:cool:
They do not look like they are all crazy high tech, and was made from SkunkWorks, with alien technology,,but, they look classiclly modern, just like the scout. The black shock is dressed Superb machining on the custom spring perch, and a nice "DS" engraving showing off that your in on the secret. The finish on his custom parts on the internally modified to his specs Ikon shock is picked just right as well. not your typical color, it just a lil off,, and thats whats great! Its another post modern touch, it blends beautifully with the not typical post modern color of the frame, and the "is that black? is that brown? screw it its rootbeer!" color of the engine.
Perfect.. just perfect.
Now, the ride..
Mr. Dark, rode his ASS off, likely literally when dialing this great ikon shock and fork spring kit and IT SHOWS. After installation, static sag was perfect, and rider sag was quickly set, sweet! Plug and play....The ride was comfortable, and unflappable.. is that even possible?! Yes.. I hit washboards, frost expansion joints, name it, I went fast, I went slow, I droned straight at 80, and briefly broke clear over the Ton, in the high winds of today. I hit crappy, bendy roads.. it hunkers and sticks.. and even feels like a comfy couch when just cruisin'. I didnt even sweat trail braking on this bike, and for me, is the first not sport orientated bike I've felt comfortable enough to play with.. Dark Scout boingers really let that stressed member engine, and cast frame show its potential and worth..Amazing power out exit speed ability, and a in touch front.. UNFLAPPABLE... it was the best money, I've spent, in any suspension purchase. Period. You can spend more, and get less... You can buy the other stuff, you can call, the companies, and get your right for you parts,, that will still cost you more,, STILL you will not get his R&D, and THAT'S, where the good stuff is.... Also, Mr Dark, is the kinda of guy you want to have a beer with,,, or,,,,a Cider.. ;)

I took some pics of the Operation, if there isnt a walk through on this work, already on the forum I could feebly put one up if its desired enough.
BUY DARK SCOUT!
Thanks doods!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would like to see the walk through if you don't mind posting. I have the Ikon front springs installed and it really makes the back end seam worse. If the rear shocks aren't that difficult to install I will probably be in.

mgg

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mgg.
Yes, doing one end and not the other will make the other ends lameness shine like a spot light! Tho it may not be realized now, Your in a great place! The front is a much more involved process.. so the harder part is licked! ill try for tomorrow to get something up!
Thanks for reading!

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Hey folks.
I finally got around to getting my Dark Scout classic suspension kit on my bike, and got to give her a good flogging.. First thing to say, I'm pretty Damn sure I've waited longer in line at McDonalds for a McDub, then I had to wait for the kit to come from the other side of the globe, from Australia, to the Colonies! Gnarly...
What I can say, about the kit is this, his research and development really really shows.. Ive been around the block with suspension in my days I've spent thousands on having my bikes dialed in by experts and by buying all the brands.. I've also spent hours and hours on it, getting it right on my bikes, so, I've got some frame of reference.
Back to the DS boingers. As tony the tiger would say,, there grrrrreat! Perfect. You simply can not.. will not find a better set up for the money, ANYWHERE. put your F#$K'n hands down..:cool:
They do not look like they are all crazy high tech, and was made from SkunkWorks, with alien technology,,but, they look classiclly modern, just like the scout. The black shock is dressed Superb machining on the custom spring perch, and a nice "DS" engraving showing off that your in on the secret. The finish on his custom parts on the internally modified to his specs Ikon shock is picked just right as well. not your typical color, it just a lil off,, and thats whats great! Its another post modern touch, it blends beautifully with the not typical post modern color of the frame, and the "is that black? is that brown? screw it its rootbeer!" color of the engine.
Perfect.. just perfect.
Now, the ride..
Mr. Dark, rode his ASS off, likely literally when dialing this great ikon shock and fork spring kit and IT SHOWS. After installation, static sag was perfect, and rider sag was quickly set, sweet! Plug and play....The ride was comfortable, and unflappable.. is that even possible?! Yes.. I hit washboards, frost expansion joints, name it, I went fast, I went slow, I droned straight at 80, and briefly broke clear over the Ton, in the high winds of today. I hit crappy, bendy roads.. it hunkers and sticks.. and even feels like a comfy couch when just cruisin'. I didnt even sweat trail braking on this bike, and for me, is the first not sport orientated bike I've felt comfortable enough to play with.. Dark Scout boingers really let that stressed member engine, and cast frame show its potential and worth..Amazing power out exit speed ability, and a in touch front.. UNFLAPPABLE... it was the best money, I've spent, in any suspension purchase. Period. You can spend more, and get less... You can buy the other stuff, you can call, the companies, and get your right for you parts,, that will still cost you more,, STILL you will not get his R&D, and THAT'S, where the good stuff is.... Also, Mr Dark, is the kinda of guy you want to have a beer with,,, or,,,,a Cider.. ;)

I took some pics of the Operation, if there isnt a walk through on this work, already on the forum I could feebly put one up if its desired enough.
BUY DARK SCOUT!
Thanks doods!
Very good write up that I can guarantee is 100% accurate because I have the same setup and am over the moon happy with how the bike now handles. I have made this offer before and I make it again. You want to check out @DarkScout and his work? If you're in Burtland come ride my bike. The proof is in the pudding.
Alpal

Reactions: DarkScout

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hatt, I'm lovin' my DS Ikon shocks too.

What is your weight and preload/damping settings? I weigh 195lbs+ with gear. Softest preload / #2 damping.
Thanks for the praises folks. Id like to add, I never once topped,, or bottemed out..
Im about 205 with gear. And have extended reach seat putting a lil more towards the the rear. With that, preload setting 1 was just a bit mushy for me. So I have them set at Chuck Woolry settings,, 2 and 2..
For the front I used the spacer that is furnished with the kit as is.. I also retained the metal washer that goes with stock spacer and a 160mm air cap with 15 weight Maxima brand fork oil.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Just like @Alpal I was one of the first in the US to receive the DS iKon shocks and Alpal in New Zealand.
I weigh more and have a little bit different adjustment system and spring setup than you light weights.
But I still have the rebound adjustment.
With my preload set for proper sag, I am using the #1 setting on the rebound and it rides out perfectly.

Thumbs up for @DarkScout Yellow Finger Thumb Clip art Hand

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the DS Red Shocks on a Red Scout?

mgg
Yes,......
Alpal

Hold on? DS Red Shocks?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes here are the DS Custom Classic Red Shocks.

I believe they are 30 bucks more than the regular classic shocks. So I was wondering what they would look like on my Indian Red Scout.
mgg

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shoot! I know there is a a pic in this forum somewhere! Anyone,, anyone...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes here are the DS Custom Classic Red Shocks.

I believe they are 30 bucks more than the regular classic shocks. So I was wondering what they would look like on my Indian Red Scout.
mgg
Wow! Bet they would look pretty damn good.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Wow! Bet they would look pretty damn good.
Wow! I agree, they are nice. You would have to be so careful adjusting them however in order to protect the paint, yeah?
Alpal

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow! I agree, they are nice. You would have to be so careful adjusting them however in order to protect the paint, yeah?
Alpal
Not anymore then anyone else with powder coated shocks,, unless of course like most "faster things" reds more fragile? Lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts