Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on a hunt for a motorcycle. Currently I don't own one, the last one I had was a 2007 Honda ST1300. Lost that on an accident, dude changed lane in front of me. I decided to not get a replacement since I am going on a deployment. The time to go home is getting closer, means the hunt is on. I am leaning towards either the challenger or chieftain, aside from the dark horse being blacked out, what are the differences between the standard and dark horse i.e. dash(GPS), ride, what is on DH but not on the standard, etc. Thanks for the help.

·
Bronze member
3,399 Posts
by standard are you meaning the low end model or the Limited versions?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,103 Posts
Grey metallic color only on the standards with less shiny bits and a lower lesser Ride Command. Dark horses get the better Ride Command system but feature matte paint finishes and blacked out trim, engine & exhaust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the 2019 chieftain steel grey base model. The diffrences are not huge, but make a difference if your dropping 20k on a bike. The stealership added highway bars and a set of saddlebag locks. The saddle bag locks are huge plus in my opinion and so nice to just click a button to lock or unlock! It comes with the same exact ride command as every other 2019 touring Indian except the gps upgrade and the tpms sensors. I shelled out for the gps upgrade, and then again totally worth it in my opinion. The tpms sensors are no big deal to me. I’m a mechanic so I see my fair share of tpms issues, and these are not immune to any of those issues. The sensors are only $100 a piece so when I need new tires I’ll probably just install them, maybe... In my case I think I’m ahead by getting the base model and just adding the extras I want. I’ve really grown to the love the steel grey too, the metal flake just shines! Good luck man.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can find some pretty good deals on most models right now, so i would say it comes down to personal preference. I own a 2019 DH Springfield model, which I purchased right at the beginning of this COVID situation. It came with upgraded intake, windshield, 16" apes, passenger floor boards, and passenger sissy w/ backrest, all for 18k. Dealers are hungry right now, good time to buy. Good luck with your bike, and your deployment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts