Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saddlebag selection or any accessory for that matter is not only about personal choice and money, its also about awareness. The more I read these forums, the more small shops, custom vendors and places I stumble into.

So it made sense for me to start listing them. Prices obviously will change but this gives a rough idea of what you might spend at each place. Obviously mounting options and pricing can change as well.

Osprey - $795
- I live very close to Osprey. I called and next thing you know, I am in the middle of David's shop where he hand crafts the saddlebags. Very nice and it will be hard NOT to buy from Osprey.

Indian Motorcycle - $1350

US Saddle Bags
- $900
- I called and a visit is pending

Leatherneck Jims - $600
- I live close but a visit has been hard to setup, no storefront

American Eagle Leather Works
- $900
Boss Bags - $1200
Aeromach - $515
Viking Bags - $300
Fox Creek Leather - $500
Leatherworks - $300 - $900
Chilhowee - $500 (Big Daddy)
Ace High Leathers - $500 + (Big Daddy)
Iron Bags - $1000+ (zjondoe007)

I am sure there are a lot more and suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Before deciding on a saddlebag, first and foremost you need to decide what your needs require. What will you be using them for? What are your "must have" features? You sure don't want to drop a big chunk of change on price point or looks alone only to be listing them in the classified section or on evilbay two weeks after you get them. For instance, If you want to ride your DH to the bowling center, your bags will need to hold your bowling ball. Spend what you need to spend to get what works for you.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
P.S. Great information......Thanks for the efforts rslinct !!

Reactions: Roll On

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great information, but the DH is simple so no fringes etc.

Only thing that fits to my eyes are OEM Hard Saddlebags just to my 2ents. This bike needs clear, simple and straight design.

But you can never discuss taste :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
By the way, does anyone know how the chrome trims are attached to the OEM hard saddle bags? Are they glued or screwed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got some large braided bags from leather up. Made my own brackets out of 1/4 steel. Drilled holes. Got longer m8 1.25 bolts to replace the fender bolts and tada, bolted right on. About $120 and done. Looks good imo as I want the hard bags but not gonna drop $4k on Em and the leather bags by Indian scratch too easy for 1400$ so I'm rocking these.

Luggage rack on order
1 1/4 highway bar by areomach on order
Low blk windshield on order

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,965 Posts
Saddlebag selection or any accessory for that matter is not only about personal choice and money, its also about awareness. The more I read these forums, the more small shops, custom vendors and places I stumble into.

So it made sense for me to start listing them. Prices obviously will change but this gives a rough idea of what you might spend at each place. Obviously mounting options and pricing can change as well.

US Saddle Bags - $900
Osprey - $795
Leatherneck Jims - $600
American Eagle Leather Works - $900
Boss Bags - $1200
Aeromach - $515
Viking Bags - $300
Fox Creek Leather - $500

My two cents.. the Osprey bags look awesome... what I'd slap on my darkhorse, if I were putting bags on it

·
Bronze member
2,340 Posts
Iron Bags in Wisconsin makes great bags. Super heavy duty & customizable.
They'll set you back a grand or more though. Just google Iron Bags and you'll find them.

·
Rider
1,104 Posts

Osprey - $795
- I live very close to Osprey. I called and next thing you know, I am in the middle of David's shop where he hand crafts the saddlebags. Very nice and it will be hard NOT to buy from Osprey.

US Saddle Bags
- $900

Leatherneck Jims - $600

- $900
Boss Bags - $1200
Aeromach - $515
Viking Bags - $300
Fox Creek Leather - $500

Great post and very informative. Thanks for the leg work. One reason I went with the Chieftain model is I wanted some carrying capacity especially now that I put the factory trunk on it. I was not impressed with the Chief Vintage saddle bag capacity. Do you know the capacity of the after market bags or which ones are the largest? Again thanks for the great post.

·
Gold member
6,463 Posts
Great information, but the DH is simple so no fringes etc.

Only thing that fits to my eyes are OEM Hard Saddlebags just to my 2ents. This bike needs clear, simple and straight design.

But you can never discuss taste :D
Are you saying the OEM bags are 2 cents? I'll take 4 pair. Thank you! You've been busy! I like your research!

·
Registered
128 Posts

Osprey - $795

US Saddle Bags
- $900

Leatherneck Jims - $600

- $900
Boss Bags - $1200
Aeromach - $515
Viking Bags - $300
Fox Creek Leather - $500
Iron Bags - $1000+ (zjondoe007)

Thank you for the most excellent info. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree with Oyster to some degree and think traditional bags look bad on the DH. Most bags kill the sweeping lines built into the bike and just look out of place imho.
I've been looking for rounded top bags that could sort of match the back fender but it seems no such bag exists.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Before deciding on a saddlebag, first and foremost you need to decide what your needs require. What will you be using them for? What are your "must have" features? You sure don't want to drop a big chunk of change on price point or looks alone only to be listing them in the classified section or on evilbay two weeks after you get them. For instance, If you want to ride your DH to the bowling center, your bags will need to hold your bowling ball. Spend what you need to spend to get what works for you.
This is such an important statement. The OEM bags (Scout) is the only thing in my life I have ever bought just because I "liked them". They are so pretty and I decided for once just to buy something regardless of price. THAT WAS SO SO STUPID OF ME!! I can't fit much of anything in them. My rain gear fits in 1 side, and my face shield and a jacket on the other side with a few snacks. I really wish I had heard this advise. I'm sure it was said to me, to be fair, but I was so focused on the OEM bags I couldn't see it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Let me add another bag choice. Mine are Hepco and Becker Big Buffalo bags. This company is out of Germany. They specialize more in adventure bike stuff, but have a few nice leather items. The bags are 35 liters each, sturdy, and I believe simple and elegant. They are reinforced with metal in the back, and padding in the top and bottom. They also come with a lock. I ordered them from moto24.co.uk. They were $610.00 at the current exchange rate at the time. The US distributor of these bags would have charged around $850.00. They also come in a version with studs if that is more your style. I fastened them to the bike using osprey spools. They are not quick release(And I don't care). It took two weeks from the time I ordered them until delivery. Not bad, considering some of the time frames I see from other members of this forum.
Things to think about when you order- I could not get Paypal to work for me when ordering, or a credit union based charge card. I fortunately have another card which is a National bank, and that worked fine. Don't worry about VAT taxes in Europe, once you enter a US delivery address, it goes away. Delivery is reasonable considering the distance they have to come. Also, since the fenders on my DH bulge out, the bag has a little tilt up from the fender on the top. I tried using spacers with the spools, but it just didn't seem quite as sturdy. I also replaced Osprey's 3/4 in.length spool screws to 1 in. I like that better from a security standpoint. A couple of strips of felt on the bottom keeps the bag from rubbing on the fender. For me, these bags were a great choice.
Helmet Personal protective equipment Motorcycle accessories Motorcycle helmet Auto part

1 - 20 of 237 Posts