Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my Dark Horse, I was told the stock setup was for a 185 lb rider. Weighing in about 210 at the time, my next question was how many turns on the adjustment should I do?

There was no real answer other than the measurement method. I watched the video and I was right, no way to do it alone. Yes, I could ask someone to help while I sit on the bike or find someone roughly my weight but ...

I marked the initial setting (horizontal mark) in black and then just turned it clockwise to move the position this far. Roughly 2 threads worth may not be enough but it was a start.

Coil spring Auto part Suspension Suspension part Metal

I will ride this out and see how it feels.

I did have my handy "wrench" help me with the setup and closing of the job. When he is older I can sit on the bike and measure.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Tire Vehicle

· Bronze member
2,472 Posts
My bike is lowered 2 inches and likes to drag the pipes with the wife on the back, I weigh 255 with riding gear on, and she weighs "Ahem... 125" with gear on. I cranked it down quite a bit and it still was to soft. Today I cranked it down all the way, and hopefully it's be good. I can handle it being too stiff for me alone, as long as it's good when we ride together and it doesn't drag.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bike is lowered 2 inches and likes to drag the pipes with the wife on the back, I weigh 255 with riding gear on, and she weighs "Ahem... 125" with gear on. I cranked it down quite a bit and it still was to soft. Today I cranked it down all the way, and hopefully it's be good. I can handle it being too stiff for me alone, as long as it's good when we ride together and it doesn't drag.
I need to rate your post both informitive and funny but I will just go with informitive!

· Registered
250 Posts
I am the same weight as you maybe add 5lbs if I haven't had my coffee yet. First thing I asked my dealer was to dial in the suspension to my weight and he actually advised me to leave it an see how I like it. Turns out the 185lb rider setting is perfect, nice and comfy all around but not to soft that I will bottom out or feel like I'm on the ocean. This is just my experience, good luck man!

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am the same weight as you maybe add 5lbs if I haven't had my coffee yet. First thing I asked my dealer was to dial in the suspension to my weight and he actually advised me to leave it an see how I like it. Turns out the 185lb rider setting is perfect, nice and comfy all around but not to soft that I will bottom out or feel like I'm on the ocean. This is just my experience, good luck man!
For the most part, mine is fine but I have heard a few clunks and hard bottoms ... so I am trying it out. I'll let you know how the adjustments feel.

· Registered
159 Posts
My bike is lowered 2 inches and likes to drag the pipes with the wife on the back, I weigh 255 with riding gear on, and she weighs "Ahem... 125" with gear on. I cranked it down quite a bit and it still was to soft. Today I cranked it down all the way, and hopefully it's be good. I can handle it being too stiff for me alone, as long as it's good when we ride together and

Curious to know the outcome. I have a 1.5 lowering link and haven't installed it yet due to being unsure it it will bottom out or not.

· Registered
225 Posts
When I bought my Dark Horse, I was told the stock setup was for a 185 lb rider. Weighing in about 210 at the time, my next question was how many turns on the adjustment should I do?

There was no real answer other than the measurement method. I watched the video and I was right, no way to do it alone. Yes, I could ask someone to help while I sit on the bike or find someone roughly my weight but ...

I marked the initial setting (horizontal mark) in black and then just turned it clockwise to move the position this far. Roughly 2 threads worth may not be enough but it was a start.

View attachment 40488

I will ride this out and see how it feels.

I did have my handy "wrench" help me with the setup and closing of the job. When he is older I can sit on the bike and measure.

View attachment 40489
Ditch the stock shock and put a chieftain / roadmaster air shock on... Easy adjustments, they can be picked up on eBay occasionally for $200 - $300.
You do have to remove the rear fender to install , I did mine in about 4 hours, best mod other than the Dobeck fuel controller.

· Bronze member
2,472 Posts
It's to hard with it adjusted all the way down. I didn't tell my wife that I did anything, and she asked why it was riding to hard (I know, I know). I had it adjusted to about a little more that half way to the hardest, and then adjusted it to the hardest setting. I'm going to aim for right between them for now. In the mean time, I bought a air shock for a Roadmaster, for $100 from a shop that converts bikes into trikes. I'll put that in when I have a chance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.