Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rider
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Knowing they were going to introduce a 100 yr anniversary model and seeing this I started having heart palpitations:
IMG_3523.JPG

then realized it was for marketing only...

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I was considering one like this for awhile... but $70,000 and only a good quality replica. Nope.

·
Rider
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was considering one like this for awhile... but $70,000 and only a good quality replica. Nope.
Wow. That right there shows there’d be a market for it from the mothership. I remember a 3rd party company building brand new Ford Model Ts for several years in the 80’s...

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Wow. That right there shows there’d be a market for it from the mothership. I remember a 3rd party company building brand new Ford Model Ts for several years in the 80’s...
Very tiny market. :)
I think they pretty much nailed it with the new Classics and Vintages though. The Scout in its modern format would have never gained my interest at all.

·
Founding member
1,747 Posts
Kiwi Indian builds them new.
View attachment 523694
But I believe it has a chief motor in it.
How do they do that with the trademarks and everything? I remember Carol Shelby suing a bunch of the builders of the Cobra kit cars, which were (and I think still are, after settling the lawsuits and agreeing to pay him royalties) the most popular kit cars. So I know kit cars and tributes have been done, but I also know it can get into dicey legal territory.

·
Founding member / aka Husky Davidson. 10/09/14
1,723 Posts
How do they do that with the trademarks and everything? I remember Carol Shelby suing a bunch of the builders of the Cobra kit cars, which were (and I think still are, after settling the lawsuits and agreeing to pay him royalties) the most popular kit cars. So I know kit cars and tributes have been done, but I also know it can get into dicey legal territory.
It’s been about 5 years since I spoke to the owner.
He operates under some special classification of type of bike, I don’t remember what it’s called.

But the problem he and original Scout owners are having is unlike with previous owners of the brand, Polaris wants a cut. So most of the small American companies that have been making Scout parts for 50+ years had to close.
Now a lot of times only inferior import parts are all that are available.
You would have to talk with him to get specifics.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
It’s been about 5 years since I spoke to the owner.
He operates under some special classification of type of bike, I don’t remember what it’s called.

But the problem he and original Scout owners are having is unlike with previous owners of the brand, Polaris wants a cut. So most of the small American companies that have been making Scout parts for 50+ years had to close.
Now a lot of times only inferior import parts are all that are available.
You would have to talk with him to get specifics.

Mike Tomas is a great guy, I have known him for about 10 years now. He does have some kind of agreement or other paperwork that allows him to keep going. It's been a few years since I have talked to him, and I too have forgotten exactly what he told me about that, but he has the rights to do so.

·
Founding member / aka Husky Davidson. 10/09/14
1,723 Posts
Mike Tomas is a great guy, I have known him for about 10 years now. He does have some kind of agreement or other paperwork that allows him to keep going. It's been a few years since I have talked to him, and I too have forgotten exactly what he told me about that, but he has the rights to do so.
He claims to had coined the name “Chieftain”.
I would guess this is the bike that inspired the name.
C4706D1A-7BE2-4255-9D1F-E311FC291D6F.jpeg
BBD078A7-6C02-4F9B-96FD-03E14E14978D.jpeg

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,823 Posts
I know him personally. He's Grandfathered in

1 - 10 of 10 Posts