Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to replace the signal bulbs with LED's. I discovered the amber plastic lens cover was damaged beyond repair by over-tightened screws when originally assembled. This problem was discovered by several Scout owners whose 5 or 2 year warranty will cover this issue. You would think that just the amber lens cap would be replaced but wrong, the entire turn signal body/lens cap are a single unit that will be replaced by the service tech under warranty.

So, as a large percentage of you will not have a need to remove the lens cap until the bulb burns out I suggest you inspect you're signal lens caps prior to you're warranty expiration.

Lens cap requires removal to discover any possible damage.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What LED bulbs are you using to replace? Do you have a brand and part number? Thanks for this tip!

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Decided to replace the signal bulbs with LED's. I discovered the amber plastic lens cover was damaged beyond repair by over-tightened screws when originally assembled. This problem was discovered by several Scout owners whose 5 or 2 year warranty will cover this issue. You would think that just the amber lens cap would be replaced but wrong, the entire turn signal body/lens cap are a single unit that will be replaced by the service tech under warranty.

So, as a large percentage of you will not have a need to remove the lens cap until the bulb burns out I suggest you inspect you're signal lens caps prior to you're warranty expiration.

Good post Brian. Had my left rear replaced just the other week. Stephanie heard something hit the road when I went to work one morning. It was the indicator lens and a piece of the housing. And, yes, they replaced the whole thing.
Alpal

·
Registered
42 Posts

Brian
I have the same problem. I even noticed it before a 100 mile ride. I glued the cracked lens but when I got there, only 2 small dime sized amber rings were left (the rest of the lens fell off) I took it to San Diego Indian as a warranty repair. I haven't heard back yet. They told me the same thing (You can't just replace the lens, it must be the complete blinker assembly).

As far as a replacement led. I ordered these from China for $1.84 ea (free shipping)

1156 21 SMD BAU15S led car bulbs canbus No Error py21w Lamp External Lights Car Light Source 12V Red White Yellow-in Light Source from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
LED Taillight.jpg

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Inertia Can Bus LED lights (RY10W) amber. Installed today and are fantastic, Five/six times brighter. My front signals were barely seen as they are mounted just above a high output 1000 lumen LED running lights; the Inertia LED has a 700 lumen output vs. the 80 lumen OEM bulb. Front signals are now clearly visible.

I got caught riding Scout for 30 minutes on a two lane mountain road with no pull-off, narrow shoulders and fog so dense had to focus on the double yellow line and what I could barely see of my buddy's tail light, wish I had these LED's as emergency flashers then, a huge difference.

Once again, no connection or incentive to/from Inertia or for this brilliant review. Just worth passing great product info on..

They also give 10% off with code "IndianScout"

Just say-in, The LED mentioned in post #6 is rated at 230 lumen.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have the Inertia LEDs in my turn signals, also. They are incredibly bright! You won't be disappointed. As a matter of fact, I'm using aftermarket turn signal housings with dark smoke tinted lenses, and these bulbs shine through with NO problem! They are *AT LEAST* as bright as your brake light (not just the rear running light, but the brake light). They're F'ing bright!! In a good way. I'm completely happy with them! Stock bulbs don't even compare.

TheDude

·
Registered
21 Posts
interesting string - my Roadmaster is in for service now - lens on rear turn signal is broken - $125 to replace the entire unit because Indian doesn't provide the lens as a line item...

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I ran into this when I replaced my bulbs with LEDs. I thought a bulb died so it seemed like the right time to do this, but it turns out a wire was sheared. At any rate I went to the dealer and talked to them about it; they can't order the lens. The only solution available to them is to replace the entire turn signal. Since I plan on changing my turn signals at some point this seemed unnecessary, and since my lens still attaches I just said screw it.

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Big difference is the TS111 bikes do not have bulbs. The tail lights are sealed in the lenses and cannot be replaced as separate items. It's an all in one unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Happened to me too on my 2015, getting replaced on warranty. Dealer mentioned a $50 deductible on my warranty so I'll look into that.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Happened to me too on my 2015, getting replaced on warranty. Dealer mentioned a $50 deductible on my warranty so I'll look into that.
I have a 5 year warranty, so two of my turn signals were replaced with no cost to me. Good luck to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts