Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, I went into a tight corner a little too fast. hit the dip the sign warned me about and bottomed out. Thought I may have dragged the end of my muffler but actually caved in the corner bend of the crossover pipe as much as 25%. There is still a solid wad of asphalt in the hole I made which actually has it sealed up. No exhaust leak is coming out. The mechanic told me I should have no problem riding it for now. He says the crossover is only carrying about 30% of the exhaust so the crossover should still be doing its job. IM not real sure about that. I do intend to repair it but the new crossover pipe is over $300.....Thought maybe best to remove it and just have it brazed up. Anyone have a problem with this.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,948 Posts
I did something similar cutting out from a steep driveway a couple weeks ago. Hit the crossover, but only some minor scrapes. Dang dude, you must have hit pretty hard!

You could try removing the debris and using muffler repair tape from the auto parts store. Might not work long term, but would buy you some time....

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
SO, I went into a tight corner a little too fast. hit the dip the sign warned me about and bottomed out. Thought I may have dragged the end of my muffler but actually caved in the corner bend of the crossover pipe as much as 25%. There is still a solid wad of asphalt in the hole I made which actually has it sealed up. No exhaust leak is coming out. The mechanic told me I should have no problem riding it for now. He says the crossover is only carrying about 30% of the exhaust so the crossover should still be doing its job. IM not real sure about that. I do intend to repair it but the new crossover pipe is over $300.....Thought maybe best to remove it and just have it brazed up. Anyone have a problem with this.
That would turn it into a true dual exhaust along with a very slight sound and power change.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Put on a replacement part for about $100 and labor. We have seen this many times, sometimes from loading/unloading bike across an obstacle or a ramp slip.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I thought that I did the same thing on my RM but I found that the crossover tube was flattened from the factory. No worries!
I was not referring to the oval shape of the crossover, but to damage that squashes or flattens the pipe beyond its intended shape.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
Not sure what you are riding but I have a take off from a 2018 Vintage sitting in my basement. If it will fit your bike you are welcome to it for the shipping cost. I’m in Virginia if you want to estimate the shipping.

·
Bronze Member
1,559 Posts
Check with some of the dealers in your area and see if they have a crossover pipe laying around from a true dual install.

That, or maybe someone on the board has one on the cheap.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It may be hard to believe but as long as it's not closed up it's fine. As long as the pipe is open it may have a different shape but still has the same area to flow.

·
Bronze member
4,710 Posts
Don't worry, you haven't put a hole in the pipe.

The crossover pipe already has a flat bottom. On top of that, there is a support bracket welded to the pipe on the left side where it turns up. That bracket is welded on the rear edge but not the front edge. When you hit something the bracket edge can be turned downwards, and from them on it collects road grime that builds up and cooks hard. It looks like a hole that has been plugged but is really a mass of crud jammed under the bent bracket.

Here's what mine looks like. I cleaned out all the crud a month or so ago.

upload_2019-8-29_17-20-0.png

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,727 Posts
If there is a hole, brazing would work just fine. But rather than speed $300 for a replacement, if that's the route considered, I'd add to it a just go true duals. Some say you loses a little torque but this engine/tranny is a torque monster to start with. Unless you are competing drag stripping, it's no big deal. JMHO

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did something similar cutting out from a steep driveway a couple weeks ago. Hit the crossover, but only some minor scrapes. Dang dude, you must have hit pretty hard!

You could try removing the debris and using muffler repair tape from the auto parts store. Might not work long term, but would buy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't worry, you haven't put a hole in the pipe.

The crossover pipe already has a flat bottom. On top of that, there is a support bracket welded to the pipe on the left side where it turns up. That bracket is welded on the rear edge but not the front edge. When you hit something the bracket edge can be turned downwards, and from them on it collects road grime that builds up and cooks hard. It looks like a hole that has been plugged but is really a mass of crud jammed under the bent bracket.

Here's what mine looks like. I cleaned out all the crud a month or so ago.

View attachment 521596
I took another look. That's exactly what 8t is. The bracket edge caught and folded back a little and caught some roadway.No hole in tube. At 64 I should not be cornering like I did at 24...Good info. Thanks

·
Bronze member
4,710 Posts
I took another look. That's exactly what 8t is. The bracket edge caught and folded back a little and caught some roadway.No hole in tube. At 64 I should not be cornering like I did at 24...Good info. Thanks
Happy to see it's not as serious as you first thought.

Because I ride solo I don't have the rear suspension pumped up much and on some of the rough roads around my area the bike will sometimes touch down and scrape if there's a bump mid-corner. Not so long ago I was riding in front of a group of mates and when we stopped they said they could see blue smoke coming from under my bike on some corners where I was leaning hard. I suspect it was that bracket scooping up some road surface.

I turn 70 tomorrow. You've got at least another six years of being 24 yet. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Happy to see it's not as serious as you first thought.

Because I ride solo I don't have the rear suspension pumped up much and on some of the rough roads around my area the bike will sometimes touch down and scrape if there's a bump mid-corner. Not so long ago I was riding in front of a group of mates and when we stopped they said they could see blue smoke coming from under my bike on some corners where I was leaning hard. I suspect it was that bracket scooping up some road surface.

I turn 70 tomorrow. You've got at least another six years of being 24 yet. :)
I'll take em all. Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice to hear someone else experience this - I was on my first tank of gas when I whacked mine at 50+ - fella behind me said it was sparks and blackmarks - I sincerely expected floorboards to touch first!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts