Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you own an Indian Scout Bobber and you're anything like me you probably got tired of riding around everywhere with a backpack after week one. It's been a few years since Indian released the Bobber version of the Scout and it seems like no one (including Indian) has made a viable saddlebag option that doesn't cost you an arm & a leg and your first born child...

Jokes aside, I didn't feel like special ordering some $300 custom made leather bag just to be able to run errands around town. The OEM option didn't appeal to me either, and cost again was a factor. After a few internet searches and a stroke of inspiration from the local Army surplus store I figured a couple ammo cans would be an affordable and effective solution.

Total cost including hardware from Menards ended up being around $58 bucks and a Saturday afternoon. Good job the ammo cans I bought were on sale, so your costs may vary. I can definitely post some more in-depth details about measurements, mounting process, etc. but I figure I'll test the waters first to see if anyone even gives a hoot... I will say it definitely turns heads and allows me to run all those pesky errands that before required a backpack.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you own an Indian Scout Bobber and you're anything like me you probably got tired of riding around everywhere with a backpack after week one. It's been a few years since Indian released the Bobber version of the Scout and it seems like no one (including Indian) has made a viable saddlebag option that doesn't cost you an arm & a leg and your first born child...

Jokes aside, I didn't feel like special ordering some $300 custom made leather bag just to be able to run errands around town. The OEM option didn't appeal to me either, and cost again was a factor. After a few internet searches and a stroke of inspiration from the local Army surplus store I figured a couple ammo cans would be an affordable and effective solution.

Total cost including hardware from Menards ended up being around $58 bucks and a Saturday afternoon. Good job the ammo cans I bought were on sale, so your costs may vary. I can definitely post some more in-depth details about measurements, mounting process, etc. but I figure I'll test the waters first to see if anyone even gives a hoot... I will say it definitely turns heads and allows me to run all those pesky errands that before required a backpack. View attachment 609512
View attachment 609513

View attachment 609514
Adds to the retro look...I like it more than I thought I would. I think it would look even better painted black to match.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Total cost including hardware from Menards ended up being around $58 bucks and a Saturday afternoon. Good job the ammo cans I bought were on sale, so your costs may vary. I can definitely post some more in-depth details about measurements, mounting process, etc. but I figure I'll test the waters first to see if anyone even gives a hoot... I will say it definitely turns heads and allows me to run all those pesky errands that before required a backpack. View attachment 609512
View attachment 609513

View attachment 609514
Great idea! Are you going to paint them black? I think I would...

·
Bronze member
1,140 Posts
I have a cheap amazon fork bag which holds a surprising amount of stuff. One day I fit in:

Main: A zippered hoodie, thick leather gauntlet gloves.
Front: GPS, wallet, face mask, bunch of USB cables, USB power supply, rokstraps
Side: hiking pillow, an Echo dot
Side: shoulder strap, sunscreen

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a cheap amazon fork bag which holds a surprising amount of stuff. One day I fit in:

Main: A zippered hoodie, thick leather gauntlet gloves.
Front: GPS, wallet, face mask, bunch of USB cables, USB power supply, rokstraps
Side: hiking pillow, an Echo dot
Side: shoulder strap, sunscreen
pic, link?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All OD green matt to match the ammo can with a star and some nose art pinup girl would be better!
Ghostman this was more along my line of thinking as well. Took note of the "military" Scout sitting in the Sturgis motorcycle museum! There's still performance upgrades I need to do on the bobber as well so certainly more to come. Lots of potential in this bike.

·
Registered
2020 Scout Bobber Twenty
65 Posts

View attachment 609513

View attachment 609514
I'd appreciate any info on how you did this. Thinking about doing it for my bike.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Cruiser Automotive tire

·
Registered
87 Posts
Surplus map cases, medics pouches or mussette bags would give you that military Scout look too!

This guy built a set of hard bags out of Harbor Freight equipment cases aka Pelican cases. They are already black and would go well with your bike. One could always paint them as well!

Ghostman this was more along my line of thinking as well. Took note of the "military" Scout sitting in the Sturgis motorcycle museum! There's still performance upgrades I need to do on the bobber as well so certainly more to come. Lots of potential in this bike. View attachment 609987

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Surplus map cases, medics pouches or mussette bags would give you......
Definitely an option for max weatherproof storage for folks with a regular Scout. You may have noticed on the Bobbers though the problem is usually the clearance with the taillights. In my opinion the ammo cans maximize your carrying capacity without the hassle of relocating the taillights. There's probably smaller options in these cases and the ability to lock them is a plus though... thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay it's taken a bit but I've took a few pictures and tested a couple things out. Once you've found the ammo cans or bag of your choice the mounting solution I used was a steel mending plate. You can usually find these in hardware stores. I went with 12" ones and cut down one side to fit. It's gonna have holes predrilled at equal intervals which makes the mounting a little easier.

I went with this one since it is made of fairly thick steel and can support a good bit of weight for what I would put in the bags. I did have to cut a slot to accommodate the mounting bolt closest the seat.

Once this was done I replaced the factory fender bolts with longer ones to allow the clearance of the bags. You might experiment with this to see which length works best, but the threads gotta match the factory ones. 8mm - 1.25 coarse. I used 50mm length.

The bolt closest the taillights I left external and this seemed to work the best. Attach this one first. You can kind of see how I sandwiched the bracket between two hex nuts.

Now if you attach the other bolt closest the seat you can stick the saddlebag on to line up the holes on the bracket and get a rough measurement for how you'll need to drill the mounting holes. Trace the diagonal line with a sharpie, then you can use the other bracket to check this. The bracket will essentially create a diagonal line from one side to the other. Where exactly depends on the bracket you get, how much you've cut and the ammo can type you use so I don't have exact dimensions unfortunately.
That's pretty much it. It just comes down to how many of the mounting holes you want to use also (I drilled 5 holes per ammo can). I took the ammo cans off this winter while I was doing some work on the bike (ended up painting them Matte Black and also adding Dean Speed rampage slip ons!) So if you need a more detailed walkthrough I can try to make that. Hope this helps get someone started at least.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Okay it's taken a bit but I've took a few pictures and tested a couple things out. Once you've found the ammo cans or bag of your choice the mounting solution I used was a steel mending plate. You can usually find these in hardware stores. I went with 12" ones and cut down one side to fit. It's gonna have holes predrilled at equal intervals which makes the mounting a little easier. View attachment 617833
I went with this one since it is made of fairly thick steel and can support a good bit of weight for what I would put in the bags. I did have to cut a slot to accommodate the mounting bolt closest the seat. View attachment 617834
Once this was done I replaced the factory fender bolts with longer ones to allow the clearance of the bags. You might experiment with this to see which length works best, but the threads gotta match the factory ones. 8mm - 1.25 coarse. I used 50mm length. View attachment 617836
The bolt closest the taillights I left external and this seemed to work the best. Attach this one first. You can kind of see how I sandwiched the bracket between two hex nuts. View attachment 617838
Now if you attach the other bolt closest the seat you can stick the saddlebag on to line up the holes on the bracket and get a rough measurement for how you'll need to drill the mounting holes. Trace the diagonal line with a sharpie, then you can use the other bracket to check this. The bracket will essentially create a diagonal line from one side to the other. Where exactly depends on the bracket you get, how much you've cut and the ammo can type you use so I don't have exact dimensions unfortunately.
View attachment 617845 That's pretty much it. It just comes down to how many of the mounting holes you want to use also (I drilled 5 holes per ammo can). I took the ammo cans off this winter while I was doing some work on the bike (ended up painting them Matte Black and also adding Dean Speed rampage slip ons!) So if you need a more detailed walkthrough I can try to make that. Hope this helps get someone started at least. View attachment 617846
not a bad idea but i would highly suggest making some kind of metal sleeve for that bolt to help keep it from sagging bad over time

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
That's pretty much it. It just comes down to how many of the mounting holes you want to use also (I drilled 5 holes per ammo can). I took the ammo cans off this winter while I was doing some work on the bike (ended up painting them Matte Black and also adding Dean Speed rampage slip ons!)
@Freeman4
Do you have any pictures with them mounted on the bike since painting them matte black?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ordered a smaller ammo box ( only need it for waterproofs and disc lock) and will fabricate some fixings. Thanks for the idea. Will update with pics if it works!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts