Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Msg across bottom of screen. Bike running ok. Sometimes stop, shut off and restart makes ck eng light go off and bike runs okay. Then bike had rough start. Only one cylinder working. Loos of power big time. Shut off engine and restart. Both cylinders started up and bike ran fine. What is causing this problem?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Check battery terminals make sure they're tight. If that doesn't work take to your dealer and check the main relay more than likely it's failing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check battery terminals make sure they're tight. If that doesn't work take to your dealer and check the main relay more than likely it's failing.
Did you have this problem? And was a faulty relay the fix?. I can understand a faulty relay causing an electrical mal function, but to where the engine is reduced to firing on one cylinder and then on a re-start both cylinders firing normally does not seem like it could be as simple as a relay. But thinks for your suggestion. I will take it up with the service mechanic at the dealership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
It happens on most bikes. Control relays go bad. Polaris has had issues with them. I say control relay they're also called control modules.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Could also be knock sensor they are common fault for wiring melting to touching cylinder head when vibration of engine running or when get bad enough melt onto cylinder head

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,025 Posts
My 15 RM will do the same thing, Only one cylinder and runs rough. I can usually smell some gas fumes when it happens. Either slowly rolling in more throttle will correct it or shutting down the bike and restarting will. I rarely will see it throw a code but when it happens it is usually a rich AFR code, 520204 FMI 15. Usually only happens when I go to start the bike when it is still warm. Does not happen enough for me to be concerned with. I usually just slowly roll in some throttle and it clears. Dean

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved: I checked my spark plugs. The rear cylinder plug was so loose that I could easily remove it with two fingers. It unscrewed very easy, to easy. Even though there were enough threads on the plug to keep it in the slot, you could tell by the soot and dirt debris around the outside of the plug and on the rubber boot. It is a wonder it fired at all. Pretty sure that was the problem. Apparently, the plug was only hand screwed in and forgotten to torque it to 12.4 ft lbs at the factory. Or it came loose from vibration. Removed both plugs and replaced with new ones ( checking the gap to be sure and set at .034. Also, learned something new. If you go to your fuse box under the left panel and remove the fuse that looks like a USB stick and leave it out for 30 sec or more and put it back in, that technique will reset the bike’s computer brain and clear any code mishaps or errors. Just saying. Started the bike up with the new spark plugs and no ck eng lite came on, bike sounded quieter, and I seem to have 10 to 15 % more power I did not know was missing before. Bike runs great and smooth.

·
Rider
377 Posts
I just had this problem and the bike is no going in! Was getting ready to go for a ride and was warming up the bike and after about a minute of running it starting running rough and I can could only one cylinder was firing and the message was on my ride command. Shut it down it and retired and it seems fine but message still there. Thinking about pulling that usb stick fuse but will this delete the stage 2 tune since I have the indian cams?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just had this problem and the bike is no going in! Was getting ready to go for a ride and was warming up the bike and after about a minute of running it starting running rough and I can could only one cylinder was firing and the message was on my ride command. Shut it down it and retired and it seems fine but message still there. Thinking about pulling that usb stick fuse but will this delete the stage 2 tune since I have the indian cams?
No tune is stored in non volatile memory
Which once written to ecu does not require power to hold the values in memory

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Problem solved: I checked my spark plugs. The rear cylinder plug was so loose that I could easily remove it with two fingers. It unscrewed very easy, to easy. Even though there were enough threads on the plug to keep it in the slot, you could tell by the soot and dirt debris around the outside of the plug and on the rubber boot. It is a wonder it fired at all. Pretty sure that was the problem. Apparently, the plug was only hand screwed in and forgotten to torque it to 12.4 ft lbs at the factory. Or it came loose from vibration. Removed both plugs and replaced with new ones ( checking the gap to be sure and set at .034. Also, learned something new. If you go to your fuse box under the left panel and remove the fuse that looks like a USB stick and leave it out for 30 sec or more and put it back in, that technique will reset the bike’s computer brain and clear any code mishaps or errors. Just saying. Started the bike up with the new spark plugs and no ck eng lite came on, bike sounded quieter, and I seem to have 10 to 15 % more power I did not know was missing before. Bike runs great and smooth.

Nice that you found the issue quickly and cheap fix too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts