Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a full throttle run up to about 5k last week and I got codes 65590 / P0314 and 65591 / P0301 (Cylinder Misfire and Cylinder1 Misfire). It starts running like crap (sounds like misfire) above 2,500 and off idle. Sounds like it has a rev limiter.

Before I get the "take it to the dealer" reply, I have a great dealer, but they are almost 2 hours away, charge $150 an hour and can't get me in for 3 weeks (scheduled an appointment as a back up plan). And I like being able to do it myself.

It's a 116 with 585 cams, running both PCV and PVCX.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot so far:
  • Replaced battery (wanted a stronger battery for my 116 anyway)
  • Reflashed ECU to stock and back to my tune on PVCX to clear code
  • Replaced spark plugs with Iridium DCPR9EIX plugs (recommended here)
I'm going to check exhaust to head flange for leaks next. Maybe coil after that. ??

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Including picture of one of my plugs

Thanks,

98187999_3329401080427929_1896357923815161856_o.jpg

Attachments

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
A few things come to mind.

Why do you have both PCV and PVCX? They operate differently from each other and I'd imagine cause problems for tuning - not necessarily what you are describing but air/fuel ratio issues that will cause problems for the ECM when it tries to trim up the fuel tables on the run.

The knock sensor is bolted to the rear of the front cylinder. It sometimes has a known problem where the cable rests against the head and melts through, causing shorts. This means the ECM is getting false info from it about misfires and possibly trying to compensate by timing adjustments that are not necessarily. The fix is a replacement (or repair the burnt insulation) and tie it out of the way of the head.

There is a rev limiter but it's set to about 5,400 in most cases (it's adjustable for each gear). There should not be anything that feels like a limiter at 2,500. There is also a speed limiter set to 120 mph and you should hit that before the rpm limiter cuts in in top gear. The rev limiter causes a sudden engine cutoff, what sound are you hearing?

If this behavior is only recent, I'd suspect bad fuel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check the knock sensor wiring tomorrow after work. If not the knock sensor I'll replace gas.

I agree, it not the rev limited. It just behaves that way. I'll get a video.

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good call. I have had this occur occasionally since I have owned my 2018 Roadmaster. I read this and decided to go looking, and the wire was stuck to the cylinder head. I pulled it loose and since the local shop is 60 miles away and closed I filled the hole with silicone and wrapped the wire with electrical tape. So far, a couple of rides in I have failed to duplicate this. Indian should have known about this.

·
Bronze member
2,214 Posts
My misfire codes occurred only after the tech moved my spark plug wires around a while ago. Discovered these stock wires can arc and cause the fault/error codes. After wrapping and insulating my wires they have been great since.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
My misfire codes occurred only after the tech moved my spark plug wires around a while ago. Discovered these stock wires can arc and cause the fault/error codes. After wrapping and insulating my wires they have been great since.
A year or two ago there were some posts about people noticing arcing plug leads when they started up the bike in a dark shed. I suspect Indian have upgraded the leads since the early bikes as I can't remember anything recent on the forum about it.

·
Bronze member
2,248 Posts
yup ... replaced my sparkplug wires just a few months ago.

After ~75000 kms since 2015 with the same wires it started throwing misfire codes occasionally.

One of them was touching the horn cover edge and looked "dusty" just there. (sign of arcing to that sharp edge ... insulation is exposed to aging and heat ... sharp edge ... so no biggie)

Since replacing the wires no misfires anymore!

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes the easiest answer is the right answer. It was bad gas or lower octane than she likes. Drained the tank, refilled and all is well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2016 Indian, under warranty dealer replaced both spark plug wires. I'll keep you posted if this solved the problem. Low battery can cause clock reset when starting the bike in cooler weather.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Low battery can cause clock reset when starting the bike in cooler weather.

I don't even try to set my clock between October-February

1 - 11 of 11 Posts