Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with 2019 Indians or newer, I thought I would give a heat report on the cylinder deactivation. I have a 2020 Challenger. I live in AZ. Today at 3pm, I went out at 110 degrees and rode in town and in the country to test the heat deactivation system. Just as a matter of record, the street I rode out on carries 70k cars a day so you can imagine the stop light times etc. My conclusion was: It was a hot ride. But seriously, at stop lights the rear cyl deactivated immediately and stayed that way until I started to let the clutch out. While it being very uncomfortable and hot, it was no real change stopped than when riding. I've made four other test rides over 100 degrees but less than 110 with the same results. I think unless you went through Death Valley desert, 110 degrees covers a lot of places that you might ride this summer.

I would enjoy hearing from those with and those without the cyl deactivation sys. I was questioning whether the Indian design engineers got this one right or not. I have to say, they did for this point anyway.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,072 Posts
Good to know, thanks for the report. I've noticed it helps a lot. On my scout anytime it was warmer than 85 out, it was a bear to sit in traffic. Last summer I did rides on the roadmaster in 95 and it was pretty helpful.

·
Rider
979 Posts
Mine seems to work well but then again I am in PA and we do get some hot and muggy weather but nothing like AZ. Mine works seamlessly and I know it is working. I don't do a lot of stop and go traffic so YMMV.

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
I’m still puzzled as to why cylinder deactivation is needed on a water cooled engine. Is there no fan on the radiator?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I’m still puzzled as to why cylinder deactivation is needed on a water cooled engine. Is there no fan on the radiator?
Yes there is a fan on the challenger. I am in NJ and don’t see temps at or over 100 very often but we have had some 85 degree days so far this year. I have the rear cylinder shut off turned off on my challenger and as soon as the temp on the bike hits about 208 degrees the fan kicks on and the temp stays there until I start moving and then comes right down to 188/189. All I can say is the 2012 air cooled Ultra Limited I traded for the challenger was much hotter and uncomfortable at times. The Challenger is cool compared to the Ultra.

·
Rider
556 Posts
I have a 2019 chief DH, I've never had a real issue with heat sitting at lights and I wouldn't even notice the rear cylinder deactivate if it hadn't be for the little notice it gives me on the display. So as far as I'm concerned it works great and is seamless.

·
Registered
2018 Chieftain DH
65 Posts
I have an 18 DH without the deactivation feature, the bike gets very hot in the summer. I live here in Eastern North Carolina, and although it might not get quite as hot here as other US locations, our humidity here in ENC is second to none, very seldom drops under 65% anytime in a day, average is much higher than that. The engine probably doesn't suffer too bad, but it is death to the rider. If there is any chance that you might get stuck in any traffic at all, you take the truck. That's for July, August, and September, the bike is parked way too much. Wish my bike had the deactivation. I am thinking about investing in Ceramic Coating the exhaust.

·
Registered
2018 Chieftain DH
65 Posts
I was kind of thinking the same thing? I guess maybe if you had to sit long enough the rear exhaust pipe and cat would cool off a little?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I’ve heard reviews saying you can’t tell by the sound or the feel if the rear cylinder deactivated or not but all I can say is with my 2019 Chieftain Classic I can really tell by the sound and the feel when the rear cylinder deactivates at a stop.

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chief, "Adeline"
171 Posts
I’ve heard reviews saying you can’t tell by the sound or the feel if the rear cylinder deactivated or not but all I can say is with my 2019 Chieftain Classic I can really tell by the sound and the feel when the rear cylinder deactivates at a stop.
I'm guessing it's just a fuel cut to the rear cylinder, right? If so, I'd have a hard time imagining not feeling a difference, with the front cylinder pulling the weight of the rear piston.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Works fine on my Challenger. The computer handles it.

·
Founding member
1,005 Posts
It's so smooth that I couldn't tell it was working until I heard to look for the little icon. Very nicely done. Liking that Challenger, reinie, I hope. :)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,094 Posts
So far very good. I have yet to go very far on it but I feel confident the Challenger is more than up to it.

·
Rider
1,153 Posts
I have a 19 Chieftain and yes it works well and helps a lot
Leave mine on all the time.
I dont like the single cylinder lope at idle sound but thats the tradeoff.
Its a seamless transition to go to and from
Overall we like ours and feel it makes a difference
On the Challenger or water cooled engine I dont feel it will do anything much for the engine heat however the exhaust has half the heat going into it so it should be cooler

1 - 19 of 19 Posts