Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I know almost nothing about working on engines, but I am learning. I have done hours of googling but I am not finding a lot of information, and only a few pictures that seem to be taken before the invention of the megapixel, because wholly crap they are bad. Thank you for any information you can provide.

To start, I drained the gas, added oil, cleaned some rust replaced the battery and decided to crank it to see what else is broken.

As it tried to crank, it was VERY hard turning over and I saw oil leak from the bottom so I stopped.

I found under the bike two hoses, both appear to be cut, but they are not close enough of have the same cut pattern to be connected. If they were, there must have been a connector piece that is no longer there. I cannot tell if this is where the oil is coming from.

Connection one seems to run from the center of the bike, from a sivler box. I cannot make out the shape, but I am making an assumption this may be the oil pump.

Connection to seems to run behad the airbox/carp to a T, then connects to the what looks to be the top of the cylinder.

My questions:
1. What is the first part connected to? is this the oil pump?
2. should these be connected?
3. if so, can I get an adapter to connect them or should I rerun the whole line?
Connecton1.png
connection2.png

I have added pictures to help explain what I mean.

Thank you for any information you can provide .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey I'm posting a link that might help ya

The one towards the rear might be the drain that's been disconnected. The drain tube should normally be plugged into the frame.

There's also a breather from the transmission that it could be, hard to tell form the pics.

There is also be a breather from the pump, that might be the cut tube towards the front of the bike.

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for that.. I guess I should have mentioned that this is a 2001 Indian Scout.

This is the first connection. I have no clue what this box is.

This is the second one. Is this how oil gets into the engine?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey I'm posting a link that might help ya

The one towards the rear might be the drain that's been disconnected. The drain tube should normally be plugged into the frame.

There's also a breather from the transmission that it could be, hard to tell form the pics.

There is also be a breather from the pump, that might be the cut tube towards the front of the bike.

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the link. I guess I do not understand the flow of oil, because the picture you linked does not show where it goes into the engine?? or am I just really confused?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, as someone who just started working on their own Gilroy Indian, I've found all the stuff available at Granby Garage Gilroy Indian to be really helpful if you haven't already found it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Thank you for the link. So far my issue is I don't know enough about what I am talking about to form a logical question. I do not know what to search for because I have yet to learn what things are called / what they do. Once I figure out what the shiny box with the hose is, I can search those terms and build a better understanding, I just need help getting started. :)

I found that link the other day and I have looked through it. I am sure it will help later when I understand more about what I am looking at. Does anyone just have an exploded diagram of this bike that at least names the major components so I can google the correct terms. Googling "shiny box" did not work.

Thank you for being patient with me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Lemme see what i can do. :cool:
1 If this was my project, the first thing that I would do would be to clean the crud off of it. That dirt will fall into places that it's not supposed to go as you get the bike apart.
2 You should remove the gas tank, the battery, and the seat and put them somewhere safe. This will give you more access to the engine, the frame and the wiring.
3 Take pictures of EVERYTHING before you take it apart. From multiple angles Especially wiring and anything with a spacer
4 Get a box of ziplock bags for the hardware, For instance, if you take off the front fender put all the bolts, nuts, washers , clips for it in one bag labeled "front fender"
5 I don't think that those hoses are disconnected.They are probably drain or vent hoses.

That engine is an S&S brand engine, pretty much a copy of a '90s Harley Davidson "Evo" series engine. Pretty solid. In fact, the whole bike isn't much different than a '90s Harley Softail series. Most procedures and tips for those bikes will work for that Scout.

As far as the major components go, here's the basics- Unlike most bikes the engine and the transmission are two separate components. The V shaped engine is in the front, the transmission is behind it. Connected by a "primary drive" On the left side, the big aluminum cover is the outer primary cover. it covers the chain (or belt) that transmits the engine's power to the clutch and through to the transmission. Behind that the inner primary cover bolts to both the engine and transmission and keeps everything lined up. From the transmission, the power goes to the rear wheel via the "final drive" which is a belt going to the back wheel.

The engine is a "dry sump" design so the motor oil is stored in a separate tank and pumped through the oil filter and the engine. Then it's returned to the tank.
Lot's of times when a dry sump engine like this has been dormant for a long time it will spit out a lot of oil through the vent when it's started again. This isn't unusual unless it doesn't stop quickly

The carburetor is on the right side of the engine. It mixes the fuel and air into the proper ratio for the engine to burn it. It also controls the speed of the engine by opening a plate with a shaft through it connected to the right hand grip by a cable that swivels open and lets in more air. The moving air sucks fuel through specially sized holes called "jets" and the mixture is sucked into the cylinders where it;s compressed and ignited by a spark plug that sparks at just the right moment. This forces the piston down, the piston is connected to a crankshaft that rotates around in a circle The piston goes back up and blows out the burnt gasses and the process repeats. Each cylinder has a mechanicly operated intake valve to let the mixture in and an exhaust valve to let the exhaust out.
This is called a 4 stroke engine. 1 suck, 2 squeeze, 3 bang, 4 blow. Everything has to happen in the correct sequence, this is called the "timing"

A couple of mechanic basics...
1 you should always disconnect the negative (-) terminal of the battery before working on anything on the bike that has wires
2 Anything that has a washer or lock washer probably needs it.
3 Any two parts that are held together to keep in oil or fuel or vacum need a gasket . Gaskets are a softer material that are squeezed between two metal parts and serve as a seal. They HAVE to be in good condition and not too loose or too tight. New gaskets can't be placed on old gaskets and any surface getting a gasket MUST be cleaned and smooth
4 Because that bike is so crusty and has been sitting so long you should spray some penetrating oil on any nut, bolt or gasket that you want to remove. Let it sit for at least 5 min. before you try to remove it.
5 You need a torque wrench. Many of the nuts and bolts on any machine have to be tightened to a certain tightness called the "torque value" Too tight is wrong, too loose is wrong. The torque wrench is adjustable and you set it to the torque value that's called for.
6 You NEED a service manual
7 If you get frustrated, take a break, get some help, watch a tutorial on youtube, or re read the manual. Don' wrench while pissed off.

I hope this helps, good luck with the bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First pic (shiny box) is the transmission top cover. The line coming out is a vent/overflow line. It should dump out the bottom...hence why it routes to the bottom for drainage.
Same for the other line underneath. It is a drain line for fuel and oil overflow.
The line between the 2 cylinders is indeed an oil line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts