Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Cut down that winshield?

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  T120R69 
#1 ·
Because I'm vertically challenged and also short on cash, how sacrilegious is it to cut the Chieftains windshield? Has anyone done this without making it look like a hack job. I realize there are other windshields available that would solve my problem but there are other accessories that take priority.

#2 ·
Don't anyone get their panties in a bunch here, but I am going to refer you to another forum for this. An excellent thread on windshield mods - i.e., cutting the stock shield down. On the Chief Motorcycle Forum is a thread:

Cut My Stock Windshield - Success!

There is also a great How-To at: Cut Down Your Motorcycle Windshield

These are for Vintage windshields, but that being said, I am sure the same technique applies to the Chieftain WS once you get it out.

#3 ·
Quinn, thank you for the heads up on the alternate windshield cutting forums - very helpful. Not wanting to desecrate my new chieftain that's why I posted my question on this chieftain site. I'm sure this information will aid others as well, thanks again.

#7 ·
I too am vertically challenged and spent several rides marking and finding what would be the sweet amount to have cut the windshield. It wound up being 2 1/2" needing to be removed and there is a reputable windshield place in ST.AUGUSTINE, FL. who works on plexi that did it for a very reasonable price and optically cleared up the top edges better than that were the OEM windshield's edges.

#9 ·
I'm ride a 2014 Chieftain. I'll try and attach a picture of the cut down windshield here. The place you take it to has to have experience with the plexi or Lexan. The guy said he just used the existing mounting holes in the windshield and pressed the thing flat onto his work board then he used the old marker and a piece of string to make the arc follow the existing line. After he cut it he used heat instead of MEK to clear it up after he softened the edges. He did a better job than the stock windshield I think. The bikes half covered cause I'm on the disabled list for 2 months now and can't drive or ride yet, I blew the disc in my lower back, NOT FUN.

Attachments

#14 ·
Great pictures, It's tough to manage the top Radius. I've made a template but still not satisfied with the results.

#11 ·
Quinn,

How did you get registered for the chiefmotorcycle forum? I've been trying to get registered with as many Indian Rider sites as I can because I really like all the information and ideas from everyone but something's up with that site, I've tried several times without success. Do you have to know someone special or what? Just wondering.
Thanks

#13 ·
Hey Firedog. First you register. The auto-administrator will send a confirmation email to the address you entered. You need to respond to that. Then, I believe, a human admin has to then verify and add you as a member. The whole process took about 24-36 hours if I remember. I'm registered as Whispering_Wind.

That said, one or more of the admins on this forum can certainly help since they are also on the Chief Forum. Not sure which ones, but the admins here are:
4Nines
dascrow
El Chorizo
elrod
NickJ
Shuje Sunge

NickJ is certainly on the Chief forum. You could probably send a personal msg ( Conversion ) to one and get a response.

#16 ·
Thanks, I'll try that, 2 1/2" should do it for me as well- Damn snow! Now I'll have to wait for the next rain to clear the Salt off the road. I noticed that the windshield also most have some adhesive in addition to the mounting screws securing it to the bike. Did you have any issues removing yours?

#17 ·
I think I did the first time because there are thin foam washers that have a sticky side to hold themselves in place but it should come off pretty easy just put an old towel or something in the spaces of the fairing so you don't scratch anything should it drop down.
Now I'm making my own clutch and brake lever leather covers with white lacing to match the black/white of the existing seat. I'll be doing the same to the highway bars too, keeping the same look. I'm weird like that I don't want to mix colors or styles and I'm too "frugal" :rolleyes: to pay the Indian Dealership what they're asking for the stuff. Here's a picture but it's still in the beta phase. I'm also dapping or doming my own Indian head buffalo nickels to put onto my power buttons.
Have you done any additional stuff to your Chieftain?

Attachments

#18 ·
I did it, cut 2" off - Got to tell ya, I was nerves but took my time and glad I did it. I cut it with a jigsaw for the rough cut, and finished off with a sander. The windshield is much harder than you may think. Next will be switching the headlight bulb for a LED. When it gets a little warmer I'll take before and after pictures.

Reactions: Firedog
#20 ·
Actually after sanding with 80 grit, it looks quite good. When it gets a little warmer I may try heat from an iron or MEK. It really doesn't look bad as is. I don't know how to use or even where to get the MEX solvent.

Also would like to replace the horn which I've done on all my bikes. The stock horn is not very intimidating.

Reactions: Firedog
#21 ·
Actually after sanding with 80 grit, it looks quite good. When it gets a little warmer I may try heat from an iron or MEK. It really doesn't look bad as is. I don't know how to use or even where to get the MEX solvent.

Also would like to replace the horn which I've done on all my bikes. The stock horn is not very intimidating.

I'm sure they probably sell the MEK at one of the big box stores somewhere just be careful with the stuff if you go that route it's really toxic, use gloves, ventilation, etc. You can pick up one of those heat guns from Harbor Freight pretty cheap too.

#22 ·
Thanks, wouldn't an iron be used? How would you control a heat gun without creating distortion with the windshield.

#23 ·
Actually I thought the guy told me he used a flame/torch, I'm sure it was probably a very diffuse flame if he did. That's why I coughed up the $25 to let someone that knows what they're doing do it. Plus it gave the wife and I a reason to ride to St. Augustine and have lunch while we waited.

#25 ·
That's one way of dealing with a problem, but it comes with an additional cost associated with it. Accessories are quite expensive and everyone must determine which comes first on your priority list. Cutting the windshield two inches at $0 dollars allows me to look over rather than thru it. I do like the windshield that you picked out "Indian shortie with recurve" and maybe someday I'll be able to get one.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.