Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rider
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not overly thrilled with the looks of the wheels from Indian, stock or the couple of optional ones. Anyone put custom aftermarket wheels on your RM? If so, what did you get, any challenges on fit, size, etc. Pictures would be appreciated.

·
Bronze member
2,012 Posts
I’ve always wondered what was all needed to mount aftermarket wheels to our bikes and still use the stock brakes (which look very attractive IMHO)?

·
Rider
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve always wondered what was all needed to mount aftermarket wheels to our bikes and still use the stock brakes (which look very attractive IMHO)?
Having a heck of time with this as well. The dealers seem to not want to discuss anything other than Indian factory options...the response I always get, with the exception of Hollister Indian, is “we don’t do that” along with you “might be able to find something aftermarket”. Drives me nuts. Go to any Harley dealer and they are more than happy to help with aftermarket wheels, tires, or whatever else you want to customize your bike with. Don’t live in CA any longer so can’t take a run to Hollister so need to find a dealer that isn’t locked on to the Indian teat for everything. Getting ready to build a custom one up bike and it’s going to be a Harley for this very reason, even though I’d prefer to buy another Indian.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Having a heck of time with this as well. The dealers seem to not want to discuss anything other than Indian factory options...the response I always get, with the exception of Hollister Indian, is “we don’t do that” along with you “might be able to find something aftermarket”. Drives me nuts. Go to any Harley dealer and they are more than happy to help with aftermarket wheels, tires, or whatever else you want to customize your bike with. Don’t live in CA any longer so can’t take a run to Hollister so need to find a dealer that isn’t locked on to the Indian teat for everything. Getting ready to build a custom one up bike and it’s going to be a Harley for this very reason, even though I’d prefer to buy another Indian.
My dealer has a whole display of aftermarket rims for Indians and usually a bike or two with them mounted.
Call Friendship Motorsports the Indian dealer in Bristol, VA and they could help.
They stock fender brackets so you can lift your front fender and use it with a larger diameter 21" wheel.

Prices are competetive with other places I've looked.

They also do the 116" INSTALLED for $3700 if that ever interests you.

·
Rider
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealer has a whole display of aftermarket rims for Indians and usually a bike or two with them mounted.
Call Friendship Motorsports the Indian dealer in Bristol, VA and they could help.
They stock fender brackets so you can lift your front fender and use it with a larger diameter 21" wheel.

Thanks, greatly appreciated....figured there had to be at least a few dealers that were moving into the customization side.

·
Bronze member
2,012 Posts

I was looking at doing the fat tire in the front which requires a 5“ wide front wheel. I’m not interested in the gaudy designs that you typically see with aftermarket billet wheels.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I was looking at doing the fat tire in the front which requires a 5“ wide front wheel. I’m not interested in the gaudy designs that you typically see with aftermarket billet wheels.
Charlotte Indian does that. They have models on the floor, and kits.

·
Rider
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you talking about like on the HD Fatboy models? I had one of the older Fatboys and always loved the rims on that bike. EASY to take care of and if you got one of the polished out wheel options they look great. Bet those would look good on a RM.

·
Bronze member
2,012 Posts
Are you talking about like on the HD Fatboy models? I had one of the older Fatboys and always loved the rims on that bike. EASY to take care of and if you got one of the polished out wheel options they look great. Bet those would look good on a RM.
I went the solid disc wheel route on my Yamaha Royal Star. They get a bit twitchy in a side draft situation so I wouldn't go that direction.

I did e-mail Charlotte Indian asking for information. I got a short reply saying to call. That wasn't what I asked for and they didn't seem too interested in providing me with what options were available.

·
Rider
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went the solid disc wheel route on my Yamaha Royal Star. They get a bit twitchy in a side draft situation so I wouldn't go that direction.

I did e-mail Charlotte Indian asking for information. I got a short reply saying to call. That wasn't what I asked for and they didn't seem too interested in providing me with what options were available.
There is the draft issue but I never had much of a problem with my Fatboy. I hear you on the dealers, they don't seem overly enthusiastic on this stuff, which is irritating. Just found a custom shop here in our area that a couple of riders told me have been real helpful with custom wheels and other mods on their Indians. Fingers crossed these folks are as good as I've been told.

The local HD dealer I was at last weekend was so helpful on mods and it's a shame the Indian dealers aren't leaning this direction. I really think HD encourages this and Polaris doesn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts