Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hated the OEM egg-yolk-colored, single function only turn signals. Our lights have a constant power with switched ground, so most offerings are incompatible even in the single-function variety. I believe the more lit up you are, the safer. My goal here is to come up with a way to have running lights and turn signals on a Springfield and a Scout. Here;s what I've done so far:

Scout: Currently using Kuryakyn products designed for HD. Deep dish housings are currently single function and incandescent, but converting to LED dual function.

OEM
20160427_033642.jpg

Had to trim the windshield to get these to fit
20160521_130542 (1).jpg

And the rear (Minor drilling to OEM License plate bracket)
20160521_042623.jpg

Working on constantly lit running lights...will be white up front and full power. Rear will be dimmed down to match the tail light brightness (through red lenses).
20160531_132353.jpg
20160601_014827.jpg

20160601_015019.jpg

Springfield: I used the same, deep-dish Kury housings, but with their LED upgrade. Currently single-function only.

20160531_104236.jpg
20160531_104305.jpg
20160531_105726.jpg
20160531_105727.jpg

Will keep the thread updated with more details as I progress.

Josh

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what 90% of the Harley riders do. Does look good.
They do it because the OEM HD lights suck too. Victory is the only ones that look good out of the box IMO

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what 90% of the Harley riders do. Does look good.
Just noticed you are a former Huey pilot...thanks for you service in Nam. My father and brother are retired Army aviators. UH-1, OH-58 and CH-47's (Dad) and OH-58D / AH-64's (Brother). I'm retired Air Force myself.

Reactions: JohnnyB

·
Registered
833 Posts
So I hated the OEM egg-yolk-colored, single function only turn signals. Our lights have a constant power with switched ground, so most offerings are incompatible even in the single-function variety. I believe the more lit up you are, the safer. My goal here is to come up with a way to have running lights and turn signals on a Springfield and a Scout. Here;s what I've done so far:

Scout: Currently using Kuryakyn products designed for HD. Deep dish housings are currently single function and incandescent, but converting to LED dual function.

OEM
View attachment 46390
View attachment 46391
View attachment 46392
Working on constantly lit running lights...will be white up front and full power. Rear will be dimmed down to match the tail light brightness (through red lenses).
View attachment 46393 View attachment 46394
View attachment 46395

Springfield: I used the same, deep-dish Kury housings, but with their LED upgrade. Currently single-function only.

View attachment 46396 View attachment 46397 View attachment 46398 View attachment 46399

Josh

You magnificent bastard!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
20160703_125034.jpg
20160704_173640.jpg
20160704_173717.jpg
20160704_173718.jpg
20160704_193959.jpg
20160704_194003.jpg
20160704_194443.jpg

Almost done with Scout. Added angel eye projector fog lights, black headlight, and for the turn sigs I actually custom made one, poured a silicone mold and cast them all in plastic resin. They feature a ring of SMDs (running lights) around the bases of 1500 lumen 1156 LED bulbs (turn signals) with built-in resistors to fool the CANBUS. They are essentially modified Kuryakyn bullet reflector/sockets which did not support the SMD rings, nor the LED bulbs. I'd already spent the $ on the bullets, so I fixed them:) It is so much safer to see and to be seen!

Josh

Reactions: crispy

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next will be the Springfield...I want it to have running lights too. Here's a relay diagram in advance I'll use to create them.
20160628_202840-1.jpg

More to follow in the coming weeks for anyone who gives a ripe shit:)

Reactions: GTT

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd like to be able to replace the stock rear turn signals on a Chieftain with these with smoke lenses https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Dynamics-Dynamic-Clusters-GEN-200-AR2/dp/B00M9MX7OI
The lenses match he stock lenses size, so I assume they will fit. These lights have a super bright amber center cluster wired to an 1156 plug. Theres also a dual intensity red outer ring with a three wire pigtail that can be wired to the tail and brake circuit for added visibility without adding any external lights. It looks like the tail and brake pigtail can be pos-tapped into the existing harness. But is there any additional circuitry needed to wire the turn signal besides cutting off the 1156 plug and wiring to the existing turn signal wires?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No matter what, you're going to have to tap into a switched 12v source and run the additional wires into your "pods." This will total 4 wires to each pod...1 pair are the OEM turn sigs, and the other pair will be switched 12v. Then you'll need to run it all through relays. On top of this...nothing, at all, exists for the OEM pods. Kuryakyn bullet turn signals for HD fit perfectly. Once you have the HD housings the world is your oyster. This is no small task....let me know if you're serious and I'll provide more details.

Josh

P.S. The brake light function requires some wizardry I haven't sorted because I didn't want that. If you want run lights / turn lights let me know and I'll walk you through it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'd like to be able to replace the stock rear turn signals on a Chieftain with these with smoke lenses https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Dynamics-Dynamic-Clusters-GEN-200-AR2/dp/B00M9MX7OI
The lenses match he stock lenses size, so I assume they will fit. These lights have a super bright amber center cluster wired to an 1156 plug. Theres also a dual intensity red outer ring with a three wire pigtail that can be wired to the tail and brake circuit for added visibility without adding any external lights. It looks like the tail and brake pigtail can be pos-tapped into the existing harness. But is there any additional circuitry needed to wire the turn signal besides cutting off the 1156 plug and wiring to the existing turn signal wires?

I have these on my Bobber. They are WONDERFULLY bright and look great when paired with the eagle light [5 3/4"]. The halo running light in that sucker is so bright it makes onlookers dumber.

·
Rider
1,008 Posts

OEM
View attachment 46390
View attachment 46391
View attachment 46392
View attachment 46393 View attachment 46394
View attachment 46395

View attachment 46396 View attachment 46397 View attachment 46398 View attachment 46399

Josh
WOW! Those signals on the Springfield are GORGEOUS! I may have to look into adding them to my AdMore Lighting set-up on the Roadmaster. Could you post a list of the brand names & part numbers?

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
No matter what, you're going to have to tap into a switched 12v source and run the additional wires into your "pods." This will total 4 wires to each pod...1 pair are the OEM turn sigs, and the other pair will be switched 12v. Then you'll need to run it all through relays. On top of this...nothing, at all, exists for the OEM pods. Kuryakyn bullet turn signals for HD fit perfectly. Once you have the HD housings the world is your oyster. This is no small task....let me know if you're serious and I'll provide more details.

Josh

P.S. The brake light function requires some wizardry I haven't sorted because I didn't want that. If you want run lights / turn lights let me know and I'll walk you through it.
@ShOOSter! I went with multi-function Rizoma LED's for my scout CLUB S Turn Signals by Rizoma (FR155)
however they are multifunction but I am only using the signal function now - do you know how to wire these so the multi function aspect will work without making Mr. CANBUS mad.??

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
114 Posts
In case anyone with a Scout or Scout 60 wants to install LED turn signals on the back, with run/turn/brake functions...after months of looking, I found a company who sent me a prototype and IT WORKS!

If you want a module, contact this guy. Tell him Rafael sent you.

Tyler Pailas
Technical Sales Manager
NAMZ Custom Cycle Products, Inc.
Phone:
610-265-7100, Ext 208
[email protected]
www.namzccp.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts