Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 564 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I just thought I'd start a Custom Scout thread.

When I first saw the Scout, I was a bit mixed. I like the original but then, like everything else, time changes things. We live in the 21st century and
I think Polaris and Indian's designer, engineers and VIPs in charge really pulled off a special feat that I think may one day prove to be a legend in it's own right.
While feverishly waiting for every review in the early 48 hours immediately after the Sturgis unveiling, I realized this bike has the potential to go far.
It's design, while not exactly "revolutionary" to the industry, quite extraordinary - it's Modular! - and I'm thinkin' this bike seems simple as all get out in it's design.
I realized and envisioned a roadster variant, a "what if" cafe racer by reshaping the fore and aft casting designs - A new industry, somewhere is going to spring up
to produce cast frame members for custom shops and no doubt, the factory itself is going to try some new tricks to offer up a different variant of the Scout line,
ala Sport Scout (which makes me a slight suspicious of where HD's inspiration for "Sportster" came from a few years following IMC's closure in 1953.) or perhaps
a Sport Scout SS with all the aggressive street performance pedigree (ala Ducati Monster and Diavel) that this bike potential possesses. I think the guys at
Indian are very visionary at the moment so at this time, nothing coming out of Spirit Lake, would surprise me.

I think the bike looks great as is, but everybody knows sooner or later the customizing begins and I thought was as good as any time to start such a thread.
There are typically three groups of customizers -
1. owners who are content with factory options (or who might choose to opt for custom-fabricated components)
2. owners who are appearance minded and will alter color schemes, graphics and upholstery.
3. owners who are performance oriented. (this group is divided several ways - handling improvements and speed improvements)

A 4th group would be racing oriented which could mean Bonneville Salt Flats, Dragstrips and MotoGP courses. Let's not forget the Hill Climbers and flat trackers - sooner or later,
I think the New Indian Scout or some future variant will be brought to those venues.

For now, I just wanted to toss my personal first ideas, albeit simple, put to graphics and see what you all thought - Might help pass the time for all of us who are waiting for ours
and may inspire who knows who shows up and lurks.

!cid_C447B503C5A144A5B31FE03E61FD0A53@ywam3500d47388.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hi Twinhit! Nice positive post. And while I have yet to even see a Scout - I did a 1st Scout pre-order - I love the looks. With that said, your tank designs are great - nuthin' wrong with a bit of customizing. :cool:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gordon!
I have fun with it. Back in the late 80s I'd seen some vintage Indian water slide tank decals and just knew there had to be more out there. Then I got to thinkin' you know, often what we
envision in our heads doesn't easily come to life until after we commit - what's sweet about being able to tinker with an image is that we can find out what it might look like and whether we'd
like it or not, in advance to coughing up the bucks or getting grab by our ankles by the big guy money collector who'd shake us until the last few coins fall out of our pockets.... heh heh.
I've personally have a ton of ideas but it's going to take time and work to get them from the mind to the virtual drawing board. - I think Scout's great as it comes out of the box as I have
indeed had the pleasure to at least sit on a red one and a black one - it is light as a Red Tailed Hawk feather the moment you pull it off the stand. - One of the things you might notice
is where to fill the radiator - it's overflow can is under the seat - I've got pics from the two visits I was privileged to experience. No demo though :( but that's ok.... something tells me, way
deep down that this is going to be one nice bike. I've fired them both up - instant ignition, and very smooth idle, with a kind of beckoning tingle that says.... let's ride.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P1010068.JPG
Taken at San Diego Indian/Victory
Guys.... this bike is AWESOME!

I am 5' 6" with a 29" inseam and weigh about 220lbs

The front and rear fenders are, indeed, steel and the arrowhead shaped filter cover and ignition body on either side of the bike appear to be
chromed die cast metal and NOT plastic. The only plastic I saw on the bike body panels was the lower belt drive thingy and maybe the tank badge
which appeared to be simulated milled aluminum.

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it! An Arrowhead shaped radiator shell - reshape the stem and down members in the shape of an arrow - that would almost look like the classic Packards and Duesenbergs, Lincolns, Cadillacs and Auburns
of the 30s - oh and polish it. - That might look pretty sharp - practical? who knows but the thought was fun to think about. Perhaps an arrowhead shaped bug/pebble screen insert in place of the existing radiator screen.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nice job Twinhit. Like how the bonnet cheif fits the tank profile

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HallD and JohnColson, thank you glad you like the warbonnet - When I cut and pasted the graphics, I personally wasn't sure about the warbonnet variant. Indian also appears to have had a fleshtoned variant of the warbonnet that doesn't look too bad either. Of course, sometimes, these things go well with a design pattern and color, other times, it's not quite it. So.... when the manufacturer's stylist is trying out a number of different colors and paint schemes, the stylist is going to hit creative walls. I certainly don't know what other ideas Indian came up with along with their present "Indian Scout" badge, but one thing
is for sure, they surely had to have seen thousands of photos to draw inspiration from. Personally, I like the decal approach over a physical badge, in part because the decal is between the colorcoat layer and the clearcoat layer, assuming the solid colors are a basecoat clearcoat affairs as what appears to be done on certain models of the Chiefs and Chieftains. - To my knowledge, I haven't seen ANY photos of any
new 2015 Scouts that have been decal treated other than the raised badge. For all I know, decals like these may well be in the Scout's future. Who knows but the awesome gurus at Indian/Polaris.

For me, I'd love to have the Gold Script and === SCOUT ==== combo - On a red tank, the script work needs to be bordered with a black border, on black, a red border looks nice - if the text field were say, red on a black tank, then a gold bordered script and text would look right. Perhaps at some future point, Indian might do something like offer "Custom Shop" where a variety of pre-painted patterns are
made available for the customer's choosing. These primary "Heritage Custom" patterns should draw heavily on original badge art from the original bikes. Pick a badge any badge. Pick a pinstripe, any pinstripe.
these could one day be options that you the customer could select from, then when your order is placed, IF a pre-packaged Custom Shop tank Fender kit is in inventory, the stockpicker pulls it off the shelf
and it is sent to your bike for assembly. On the other hand, should the customer decide they want a dealer installed option, that too, may be possibility, though dealer installation fee may be greater for the
custom work than would be charged when the bike is assembled at the factory. - I want to reiterate that these are just personal ideas floating in my head. We all know the dealership network is still rather small and first things are first, and such things as Factory Custom Shop may be a few years off IF it sees the light of day and understandably so in these very early days of the new Indian incarnation.
If anything, Indian may offer decals to be sold at dealers to be professionally applied by authorized paint shops.

IF the two toned Chief is any indicator, customer response may encourage some incarnation of those decal badges after all.
In the meantime, we're just going to have to go along for the ride and wait and see what Indian does next.
So far, they haven't really screwed up on ANY of their paint schemes, IMHO.

:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Function:
The rear springs are said to be too short for some riders, to avoid bottom-outs, increasing the spring tension via the spanner nut is the quick remedy, custom spring re-work the next choice.
I thought about this for a minute and realized that the original Solo Saddles from the original 101 Scouts were pretty cool, then, thought how to put them together, then it hit me, an adjustable resistance saddle spring that could be softened or stiffened to accommodate different rider weights and riding styles. I thought, hey.... this could allow a rider to tune his suspension to the road and let the seat be tuned to the rider. - it's all a new theory to me, at the present.

In the graphic below, you'll notice 3 separate saddles overlapping each other - the purpose is for visual reference of the saddle's swing arc. As shown, if I have the saddle accurately scaled, the saddle's center dips approximately between 2 and 2.5 inches. Unladen the seat height is approximately 28 inches high. - it should be noted that rider placement is slightly higher and forward.
With relocating the rider, physics and CG properties will be altered and riding characteristics altered accordingly. How dramatic, I don't know. anyway, that's food for thought.

Form:
Here is a rough drawing graphic showing the visual appearance of a vintage 101 Scout saddle on the new Scout with the Indian Script logo on the tank.

The seat when unmounted looks waay out of place by comparison with the original 101 framework. Also there would needs be some extensive re-work on
the tank might be necessary as it sits, now - I personally would like to avoid messing with the tank - I thought about a thick steel bracket that wouldn't flex
under 300 lbs. I am confident that there may be better ways to mount the saddle on this bike with, albeit, alternative suspension systems - Time will tell

With the foregoing in mind, whatcha all think?

Vintage SoloSaddleScript Tank.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Too much modification in its current rendition. Could the seat be moved back and down closer to origional?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Modificationwise, Yes, it isn't a job for the faint of heart.

I think it could be moved back and down but then the nose-tongue would have to be lopped off, along with the saddle nose, itself, and the design starts to revert to resembling the "Wall of Death" (WoD) bike used at the unveiling at Sturgis. I recall reading something about that bike's seat rework and how the nose needed to be shortened a stubby saddle.
I've seen custom bikes done where they used a simple dual horizontal coil spring. - Here's another thought, while the tractor style solo-saddle, as shown is visually appealing, rider comfort might not be as nice as the now OEM foam saddle. - Perhaps a hybrid of the new and old sprung saddle would yield a nice compromise, all designed and built from the ground up.

Here is the wall of death bike at the Sturgis unveiling. You can see the Saddle's nose has been shortened.
Also notice the cast hard-tail frame member and non-pivoting floorboards. This special purpose one-off bike
shows what "could be" achieved with a little money and effort. - at present I am unaware of any saddle suspension mechanism. It's possible, I am just unaware of it, if there is.

2015-Indian-Scout-Sturgis-Motorcycle-Rally-2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I whipped this "what-if" hybrid modern "stretched" saddle with pogostick suspension on Aug 4 2, days after the Sturgis unveiling .... gee has it been that long, already?
I don't care for it being stretched, personally, but perhaps someone who's weight is greater than mine, might find it alright. I think my idea was originally to give riders a bit forward/rear room. I don't know - I just might go back and revisit this one.

2015 Indian Scout pogo.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I whipped this "what-if" hybrid modern "stretched" saddle with pogostick suspension on Aug 4 2, days after the Sturgis unveiling .... gee has it been that long, already?
I don't care for it being stretched, personally, but perhaps someone who's weight is greater than mine, might find it alright. I think my idea was originally to give riders a bit forward/rear room. I don't know - I just might go back and revisit this one.

View attachment 2040

Starting to get a little out of wack here. probably best to leave that one alone for now:)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Twinhit, you obviously have a lot of talent with Photoshop or whatever software you use. I was wondering how a classic "Scout" fairing might look on an actual Indian Scout instead of using the optional factory windshield. This is a type of fairing that was used (still used) on BMWs and many other bikes as an add on after market fairing. From the few photos I've seen, the factory windshield doesn't look bad at all but it would be nice to see what the bike might look like with this fairing. This link shows an example of a 'scout fairing". What do you guys (gals) think? Any potential?
Scout Motorcycle Fairing for the BMW R1200R

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd be satisfied with a set of spoked wheels, a two-into-one exhaust, 1" longer shocks, seat 1-2" higher, and the indian head dress painted on the tank and some pinstripe on the fenders to tie it together.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't know, Gordon, that "Scout" fairing doesn't look too bad as it stands on the BMW but if you can find a profile picture of one, I'd be willing to give it a shot to help you with the visual.

Thing is, if you look at my photo, you might notice how tall I am sitting in the saddle. Sitting on flat wooden stool, I measure about 36 inches to the top of my hat from the stool.

View attachment 2041

·
Registered
738 Posts
This is a bit "off topic" but I stopped in at the local (Harrisburg, PA) Cycle Gear store today and I told my usual sales person that I had ordered a Scout sight unseen and he got very excited and said he and his co-workers had been reading about the Scout and were VERY anxious to see it. Asked (pleaded?) that I stop in as soon as I pick it up so they could see it. All said it looked like a beautiful bike. No kidding!? Thought it was pretty neat feed back from people who dealt with cyclists every day. :cool:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Nick, I like the spokes too - if you look at the WOD bike above, notice how the forward exhaust header comes down a slight, then back "OVER" the Indian cover, rather
than below it. I can see a "Scrambler" style 2 into 1 set up, going straight back just above the swing arm anchor-pin. - If you look close, you may see "Indian" engraved
on the heat shield. - I thought that looked really cool on the WOD bike. I thought about the rear shocks too and thought 1" would probably be quite adequate for me.
Don't know how that 1" more would effect the drive belt (topside) clearance, though. - I think I can raise that seat 1-2". IF your legs are long, it might help with
the cramped sitting sensation that has been echoed by taller riders.

1 - 20 of 564 Posts