Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I'm planning to bob my rear fender on my 2016 Indian Scout Sixty and remove the large tail/brake light. I'd like to then move to either 2x LED tail lights and a slim LED middle run/brake light, or just 2x LED run/stop/turn lights on the sides.

I've seen a few posts around rewiring, but none have seemed to answer all of my questions and some of them have confused me more (I'm an electrical engineer by trade, so feel free to throw technical jargon at me).

My questions are the following:

1. If I start from the wiring bundle (remove the tail light and current turn signals), what is the correct wiring scheme to do either of the LED schemes I would like? I've heard this is based on CanBus and there is switched ground going on? In all my years I've never seen switched ground, rather, switched power and common ground.

2. What load levels can I have (wattage/current @12V) for the LEDs to not trigger an error code? I'm guessing since this is CanBus there is a current sense range required.

3. Anything else that needs to be considered?

Thanks in advance!

/Ben

·
Registered
Scout Bobber 2019
175 Posts
Hello Folks,

I'm planning to bob my rear fender on my 2016 Indian Scout Sixty and remove the large tail/brake light. I'd like to then move to either 2x LED tail lights and a slim LED middle run/brake light, or just 2x LED run/stop/turn lights on the sides.

I've seen a few posts around rewiring, but none have seemed to answer all of my questions and some of them have confused me more (I'm an electrical engineer by trade, so feel free to throw technical jargon at me).

1. If I start from the wiring bundle (remove the tail light and current turn signals), what is the correct wiring scheme to do either of the LED schemes I would like? I've heard this is based on CanBus and there is switched ground going on? In all my years I've never seen switched ground, rather, switched power and common ground.

2. What load levels can I have (wattage/current @12V) for the LEDs to not trigger an error code? I'm guessing since this is CanBus there is a current sense range required.

Thanks in advance!

/Ben
Hello Folks,

Thanks in advance!

/Ben

·
Registered
Scout Bobber 2019
175 Posts
Hi Bro check out my post regarding lights Kellerman do a scout specific I.Lash plug and play that operates there lights
Check there web site out Kellerman Gmb German company excellent equipment

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello Folks,

Thanks in advance!

/Ben
Hi Ben,
I have spent much time on this subject for the scout 69, not the Bobber. First off, there is no can-bus to the taillights, stop light or turn signal. That is misinformation. I've used can-busses a lot on industrial equipment. The ECU drives these things directly but does have the ability to detect when a bulb is out. Unfortunately, this misnomer has permeated our world, and they even sell can-bus bulbs. But they are not controlled by a two-wire differential digital signal anything like a can-bus. What this really means is that they have enough internal resistance to not appear like a burnt out bulb to the ECU. I have read on Super Bright LEDs that this value is 100 ohms, but haven't proven it for myself.

The stoplight and taillight use a common ground and come on when power is applied.

The turn signals have a common power and come on when the ECU provides a ground.

A detailed study of the schematic helps in decoding this.

The factory tail light has unique inputs for tail and stop and common ground. There is a module inside the light that combines these signals to drive the same LEDs for the two different functions.

So you can see that making only two lights function as stop, tail, and turn have a conflict with power and ground conventions.

I hope this helps, but to me it seems to be a lot of work to get a strip of water and grit up your back every time you drive over some water or ride in the rain, but maybe that is just me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
This works perfectly

I’ve got X-Arcs run, brake and indicate as per this wiring diagram and it works.

IMG_0354.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts