Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally pulled the trigger on a Chief Bobber DH, coming from a scout this is just such a better bike...but I can't stop looking at the rear and feeling that something is missing. Is there any rear fender under development or a place around Central Florida that can extend it for a reasonable price? looking for something similar to the scout, the Gilroy, or the Chief Vintage without the skirts...

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
… throughout the lineup not all of them are “bobber” model, though they share the same “bobber” fender… that was not the question, but thanks for the clarification nobody noted that until you mentioned it.

· Registered
2021 Indian Roadmaster Icon
620 Posts
I'm not aware of any, but will be watching your thread. When the new Chief's first came out I thought this would be a great platform for aftermarket manufacturers to jump on. And I thought the same thing, why didn't they offer a model with the full length fenders? Like you said, not skirted but full length. It will be interesting to see what you find...

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohlins has an aftermarket suspension for it. As to the fender I will just enjoy like this for a couple months and I can’t find a rear fender I’ll try to find a shop that can fabricate the extension and add a scout tail light or something similar.

· Founding member / Distinguished
7,152 Posts
I'm looking at the Combustion Industries tail tidy. It mounts the license plate to extend the fender a little. They have their own mini lights for turn brake function or just mount the stock turn signals to it in the same mounting holes. The stock license plate light fits the bracket.

· Registered
2022 Indian Chief
1,033 Posts
I'm looking at the Combustion Industries tail tidy. It mounts the license plate to extend the fender a little. They have their own mini lights for turn brake function or just mount the stock turn signals to it in the same mounting holes. The stock license plate light fits the bracket.

The only time I ride in the rain is when I'm unlucky and get caught, but since the state of Florida loves to adjust their sprinklers so it covers part of the road, I ended up riding through some puddles today. While it does reduce spray slightly, it still flings up water. Makes puddles a lot more bearable, however you will get soaked just the same if you are riding prolonged periods in the wet, so that tail tidy is not a suitable replacement for a full length fender.

· Registered
2022 Indian Chief
1,033 Posts
Copy that. I also don't ride in the rain unless I have to. Just trying to avoid a muddy stripe down my back. That tail tdy has to help a little in that regard.
Unfortunately there is still a lot of tire exposed... I wouldn't bank on it helping a lot, especially at higher speeds. Here is a top down view.

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

· Silver member
4,237 Posts
I guess fenders are on bikes for a reason. Sometimes I’m amazed that function is so often sacrificed for a style preference.

Reactions: lugnut1009

· Founding member / Distinguished
7,152 Posts
The 2015 Chieftain's valenced skirted fenders were absolutely the best in the rain. The 2019 Scout's fenders weren't bad, nor were the fenders on the 2020 Challenger. This 2022 SCL is meant to be ridden in dry weather otherwise you're gonna get soaked.

· Registered
151 Posts
The sissy bar doesn't block much rain spray at all.

I got caught out in some rain today and it was a mess. The dirt dripped down my back and onto the seat, just not good.

I hope they release full Scout type fenders for this model at some point, it would be nice!

· Registered
2021 Indian Roadmaster Icon
620 Posts
The sissy bar doesn't block much rain spray at all.

I got caught out in some rain today and it was a mess. The dirt dripped down my back and onto the seat, just not good.

I hope they release full Scout type fenders for this model at some point, it would be nice!
I would be curious if a full scout fender would bolt up. The frame and fenders look so similar between the models, I bet it wouldn't take much to fit it.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would be curious if a full scout fender would bolt up. The frame and fenders look so similar between the models, I bet it wouldn't take much to fit it.
The one thing that has been roaming my mind is to buy a used scout fender and take it to a fabricator so they bend it and weld it to this one I know I 180 tire will fit cuz that what I had on my scout

· Registered
151 Posts
Do it!!! And then share some pictures. The tires will be the easy part, its the frame/fork that will need custom brakets and/or cuts to make the Scout fender fit. Maybe it's on the easy side though, might get lucky? I would ask a fabricators opinion first down at the local shop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts