Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The bottom luggage would be 36 inches wide and split into two elements (a tent and a chair both in stuff sacks) and the top case would be 26.5 inches wide weighing 30 lbs with up to 20lbs additional stored inside.

I know the proportions are a bit off, but is something like this possible? I would put some padding on the back of the box on top for passenger to have. Figured I would ask here before I go all in on this idea from my touring trip. I would only two-up very occasionally. I would hire a welder to make it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Edit: Nevermind, link works. Just tapatalk being dumb.

Structurally it would work with the right materials. I would be more worried about the added weight of both the rack and luggage that far up and back.

Edit 2: Not sure how much weight and torque the mounting points can handle though assuming you would use the four bolts on the sides of the fender. Also take passenger weight into consideration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say worried, in what way? That it would crack the subframe? Make the bike difficult to control? etc.

Yes, the intention would be to attach it to the bolts on the side of the fender that currently have saddlebags on them. I'm not really sure how that would work as I would let the welder handle that. My concern is that it's not a motorcycle standard so I'm unsure of what issues would arise. Such as cracking the subframe, etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When you say worried, in what way? That it would crack the subframe? Make the bike difficult to control? etc.

Yes, the intention would be to attach it to the bolts on the side of the fender that currently have saddlebags on them. I'm not really sure how that would work as I would let the welder handle that. My concern is that it's not a motorcycle standard so I'm unsure of what issues would arise. Such as cracking the subframe, etc.
View attachment 595939
Mainly worried about handling and stability of the bike.

When it comes to structural damage, I don't know how much the subframe can handle but with a 150 lbs passenger, 50 lbs lugggage, and approximately 20 lbs for the rack itself it's 55 lbs on each bolt. There will also be some added torque on the bolts from having the luggage so far back. Again, no idea if the bike can or can't handle it structurally.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The bolts and bike frame will handle the weight without issue. An 8.8 grade M8 bolt has a shear strength of about 225 pounds. However, that's a lot of weight to have behind the rear axle, which may affect handling, especially since the front end is a bit light on the Scout anyway.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Another thing to think about, the upper box overhangs the passenger seat and you will also add padding to it. This will reduce the passengers space and could cramp them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts