Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never really cared for any of the after market rear add-on lighting simply because it looks like… “add-on” lighting. Also never cared for the stock amber rear turn signals on my black and chrome Chieftain with red accents. So here’s what I ended up with. Popped out the stock amber LED lenses and replaced them with Custom Dynamics Bullet Ringz Dynamic Clusters2 with smoked lenses. Part number BTRB-AR-1156-S. Rear Bullet Ringz™ For Harley-Davidson® - 1156.

The Indian bullet turn signal is exactly the same size that comes on newer Harley Street Glides. These LED assemblies have separate LEDs for tail, brake, plus amber turn signals, providing much needed additional rear lighting for better visibility. The LEDs in the outer ring light low intensity Red for tail light, The same LEDs light high intensity Red for brake light. And the inner LEDs in the center light Amber for turn signal. These lights are very bright yet still look factory, not like and add-on. I’m posting this for others that may want to do the same. Basic soldering skills are needed. All connections should be soldered with heat shrink over all joints. Additional parts needed are two relays which I purchased on Amazon, Directed Electronics 8616 Mini Relays.

The tail light assembly must be entirely removed (3 bolts). I recommend taping the rear fender around the tail light to prevent scratches. There are separate plugs for the license plate light, the tail/brake light and each turn signal.

Wiring connections from Custom Dynamics light:
Black to Black on the license plate plug (common ground -)
Amber to Brown on the relay (turn signal + pulse)
Orange to both Yellow on the relay and to the White on the license plate plug (constant 12v power for tail light and power to convert turn signal from a negative pulse to a positive pulse)
Red to the White wire on the tail/brake light plug (brake light positive signal).

Relay connections:
Brown to Amber on the light (turn signal +)
Black to Black of the turn signal plug (turn signal negative pulse)
Red to Red of the turn signal plug (turn signal constant positive)
Yellow to both the Orange on the light and to the white on the license plate plug (constant 12v power for tail light and power to convert turn signal from a negative pulse to a positive pulse)
Orange is not used, cut off short and insulate.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Classic Vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Classic Vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Headlamp Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Light
Automotive lighting Wire Circuit component
Sorry the video is poor quality and does not do the light justice.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Got my lights and curved plate frame installed.

Thanks ledo for an excellent step by step how to install. Awesome!

View attachment 354772
How easy to install the rear turn signal lights, plug and play, load equalizer, etc ?

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
340 Posts
How easy to install the rear turn signal lights, plug and play, load equalizer, etc ?

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well
Followed the install instructions outlined by OP top of this thread.
If you can solder, I'd give it a 2/10 on the difficulty.

No load equalizers required. I imagine because you're replacing LED's with LED's? However, two mini relays are installed. One in each light housing.

·
If you cant go fast you better look good
497 Posts
wanted to give Ledo a big thanks for the wiring instructions to do this- turned out absolutely perfect!!! will post pics and video later- couple of musts- tape on the fender, a second hand if you can get one when taking assembly off and putting it on. make sure Iowa is beating up on Ohio state on the tv, and you solder/ heat shrink all the connections!! i would give it a 4-5 out of 10 on difficulty- next time i do one (for a bud) will be a 2/10.

·
If you cant go fast you better look good
497 Posts
here are pics - video wont load- 7.3MB. note on the pics- couple of light assembly coming off, then one with stock wires, and another with what wires come out of light and tie into the license plate light and the tail light and the ground.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
1,312 Posts
Got my lights and curved plate frame installed.

Thanks ledo for an excellent step by step how to install. Awesome!

View attachment 354772
I have a question, why are there 2 lights on 1 on each turn signal at the bottom? Or is it just a reflection of the flash?

·
Bronze member
1,312 Posts
One other question, they ask in the ordering for the LED color either red or amber/red. What are the right ones? I thought the red ones were the ones to get. Am I right?

1 - 20 of 132 Posts