Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of the Indian bikes, there seams to be very little rear running light visability for night time riding and for providing additional visual rear-end safety. Unless you want to add a touring trunk to the Challenger, the options for adding more (Plug & Play) rear lights to the Challenger motorcycle are somewhat minimal. So about a month ago I placed an order for the Custom Dynamics 10" RED Plazma Rods and a 2014-2020 Indian Wiring Adapter for the Challenger. Shorty after placing the order I had recieved a message from Custom Dynamics that they were out of the wiring adapters and were wating on Indian to fabricate and send more. Yesterday, I had emailed Custom Dynamics regarding the status of the order previously mention and they said it would be shipping out in about one or two more weeks. I know you can connect the RED Plazma Rods directly to the electrical wiring but for simplicity reasons I'll just will wait and utilize the correct wiring adapter for this particular install. I'm surprised that Kuryakyn hasn't developed and released some type of plug and play rear fender lights for the Challenger already, like what they did for the Thunder Stroke models. I had a set of the Kuryakyn fender lights on my 16 Springfield and loved them, they looked great too and of course made a hugh difference in night time visability of the bike. Once I get the new Plazma Rods installed on the Challenger I'll post a few pictures for all who may be interested. Also, for anyone interested, the Custom Dynamics RED Plazma Rods and other veriation of light options can be found on their website in the Harley Davidson Motorcycle light options. The wiring adapter is in the Indain Motorcycle section.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,081 Posts
Thanks Herk! I did a bunch of research on them and was going to add some plasma rods once I had some more coin saved up. Any reason you went with the 10" over the 8"? It looked like the last couple of inches would be covered by the existing lights.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Herk! I did a bunch of research on them and was going to add some plasma rods once I had some more coin saved up. Any reason you went with the 10" over the 8"? It looked like the last couple of inches would be covered by the existing lights.

I went with the ten inch so I could consider installing them on the fender next to the saddlebags or even on the inside lip of the saddlebags closest to or next to the fender. Any excess lenght on the Rods could be hidden up under the saddlebag lids or up under the bottom of the fender.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,081 Posts
Makes sense.

@AngryNeutron I really like the look of them on there! I'm not 100% sold on the modulator yet. I did see one that added deceleration activation which I think could be huge.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're going to like them. Definitely more visible especially when combined with their magic strobe brake light modulator.

View attachment 586242
That was my plan however, I didn't know if I had to have both adapter and modulator or if I could use only the magic strobe brake light modulator to connect the Rods. Plus I believe there are different Rods required if you want the brakes light option in lieu of having only running lights. Can you elaborate on this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
So I wired mine to be brake lights only and I think trying to wire them as dual function (run/brake) may complicate things considerably. Currently the Challenger has an unutilized brake only wire coming from the VCM. It is the pink wire with blue stripe leading from the VCM to a connector that eventually leads to the rear lights. This wire does not continue through the connector and carries 12v when the brake is depressed. Hooking up the magic strobe unit to this connector uses that wire to receive and modulate the brake signal. The wiring adapter is connected to the output of the magic strobe unit and provides pigtails for wiring the plasma rods. I suppose you could cut into the magic strobe unit wiring harness and tap directly into it for wiring the plasma rods, but that certainly wouldn't be the cleanest install.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,081 Posts
How many wires do the plasma rods have? On their page they made it look like you had to get another adapter but their wiring shows 4 wires.

·
Registered
150 Posts
How many wires do the plasma rods have? On their page they made it look like you had to get another adapter but their wiring shows 4 wires.
Standard 2 wires per rod (red & black) for the single color plasma rods. You might have been looking at a pic of the multi color rods.

Reactions: HERK

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,081 Posts
I see what happened now. I viewed the install diagram for the Red and it links to the Multicolor and I missed that. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm slightly excited about adding the Custom Dynamic RED Plazma Rods to the Challenger. FedEx says I should finally get the new Plazma Rods & Indian wirning adaptor delivered on Wednesday, April 29th. Can't wait to see how they will look in real time and how much they may help to add the additional rear visibility (day or night) to the bike.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,081 Posts
I'm excited for you! Take lots of pics, we love to live through others!!!

·
Rider
832 Posts
I installed 10” plasma rods on my 19 chieftain dark horse. The 10” is the perfect size and takes up the entire rear inside edge of the bags.
To wire them up I used the IND-1 flasher unit and then tapped into the flasher section. I also used dual converters so my rods are run/brake with brake flash. The install is as clean as you make it, and even more so when you use their quick disconnects.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So look what the UPS man brought me today, I like'em.... I mounted the Custom Dynamics 10" RED Plazma Rods between the limited fender filler/covers and the saddlebags. Mounting the rods this way allows for easy removal of the saddlebags from the bike without having to deal with any of the Plazma Rod wire connections. Right now I have the Plazma Rods installed to function as running lights only. Now that I've seen them in real time I'm going to have to order the adaptor/dual converters to allow the new lights to operate as run, brake, and turn signal.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,081 Posts
Looks good Herk! Did you run the wires high or low? To get all 3 functions will you have to get the triple play?

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good Herk! Did you run the wires high or low? To get all 3 functions will you have to get the triple play?
Thanks TechRider!

The wires for the Plazma Rods run (high) up under the fender-saddlebag space fillers. They are completely concealed and you can still remove the saddlebaggs and fender space fillers as normal.

I had called Custom Dynamic before I made the purchase of these lights but I couldn't remember which unit I needed to make the Plazma Rods function as run, brake, and turn signals. I'll probably call them sometime later today to confirm this before placing an order on line.

Mounting the RODS between the fender fillers and the saddlebaggs is very easy to do obviously, and it also helps secure them in place. The 3M tape is very good and I used the tape sides to stick to the lower fender fillers only. Due to the rectangle shape of the Rods I only wanted the lights to be exposed once mounted to the bike.

I guess tonight I'll take the bike out after it gets dark to see just how much more light they actually make at/on the back of the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I very happy to say that after talking to Kevin & Alex at Custom Dynamics today, I now have the 10" RED Plasma Rods connected to the Challenger as running, brake and turn signal lights. It doesn't get any easier to install thanks to the Custom Dynamics 2014-2020 Indian Wiring Adaptor (Purchased Price $29.95).

The Indian Wiring Adaptor has six (6)-separate, color coated pig tail wires that extend out of it and each pig tail wire already have a quick wire connector attached as well. Each pig tail wire is color coated with a different color, by simply connecting the red lead wire coming from the left Plasma Rod to the Purple Color pig tail wire and then the red lead wire coming from the right Plasma Rod to the Brown Color pig tail wire, with both Black (ground) wires from the two Plasma Rods connected to the one Black Color pig tial wire of the adaptor you will have running, bake and turn signal functions of the RED Plazma Rods on your Challenger..... Yup, it's just that easy! No additional units or cost necessary unless you are wanting the brake light function with flash/strobe.

And yes, this simple wire configuration will also allow the RED Plasma Rods to work as 4-Way Emergency Flashers too!

RED Plasma Rods = $179.97 (Pair)
Indian Wiring Adaptor = 29.95 (Unit)
Plus tax & shipping pending your state and location.

Compared to other plug and play units I had purchase for run, brake & turnsignal for other motorcycles I have owned and the fact that the Plasma Rods are also unique, this was one of the least expensive conversions I have done on bike 2000 or newer motorcycle. When I have the chance and a friend stops over, I'll make a short video of the lights while in operation and functioning as running, brake & turn signals so you can decide if this is something you may want to add to your Challenger. :cool:

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,081 Posts
That is awesome! That cuts the price down a bunch! You don't event need the dual function?

Reactions: HERK

·
Rider
832 Posts
I very happy to say that after talking to Kevin & Alex at Custom Dynamics today, I now have the 10" RED Plasma Rods connected to the Challenger as running, brake and turn signal lights. It doesn't get any easier to install thanks to the Custom Dynamics 2014-2020 Indian Wiring Adaptor (Purchased Price $29.95).

The Indian Wiring Adaptor has six (6)-separate, color coated pig tail wires that extend out of it and each pig tail wire already have a quick wire connector attached as well. Each pig tail wire is color coated with a different color, by simply connecting the red lead wire coming from the left Plasma Rod to the Purple Color pig tail wire and then the red lead wire coming from the right Plasma Rod to the Brown Color pig tail wire, with both Black (ground) wires from the two Plasma Rods connected to the one Black Color pig tial wire of the adaptor you will have running, bake and turn signal functions of the RED Plazma Rods on your Challenger..... Yup, it's just that easy! No additional units or cost necessary unless you are wanting the brake light function with flash/strobe.

And yes, this simple wire configuration will also allow the RED Plasma Rods to work as 4-Way Emergency Flashers too!

RED Plasma Rods = $179.97 (Pair)
Indian Wiring Adaptor = 29.95 (Unit)
Plus tax & shipping pending your state and location.

Compared to other plug and play units I had purchase for run, brake & turnsignal for other motorcycles I have owned and the fact that the Plasma Rods are also unique, this was one of the least expensive conversions I have done on bike 2000 or newer motorcycle. When I have the chance and a friend stops over, I'll make a short video of the lights while in operation and functioning as running, brake & turn signals so you can decide if this is something you may want to add to your Challenger. :cool:
Pics!
But seriously, those guys and gals at CD are awesome. I love my 10” plasma rods but tied them to a flasher so I have run/brake/flash

1 - 20 of 37 Posts