Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had any luck searching for threads about this, so here goes.
I can't imagine where this noise is coming from if it's not the cush drive. The belt was just adjusted by the dealer, and that stopped the chirpy rattle I was hearing, but now there's an even scarier noise. Sounds like a metal on metal grinding at low speeds when there's no load on the gears. If I'm slowing down from about 25 mph with the clutch pulled in, it's pretty loud sometimes, and is for sure coming from the rear end. Also, I hear a solid click from there when I transition from closed throttle to accelerating quickly. Thing is, I can't feel any free play in the rear sprocket.
I know there was a problem with earlier models (I have a '17) but anyone know about problems with this? I have 15K on the odometer.
Thanks Guys

·
Bronze member
2,664 Posts
Next time you have the back wheel off for tire R+R,try cleaning the inside of the wheel where the cush drive hub fits into it,the hub itself,and the rubber cush drive itself ,then lightly coat the rubber cush drive itself with a little "DIE ELECTRIC" grease [not axle grease,my mistake].DUH!!.Ya don't need much,just a light coating. That should shut it up.I had to do that on my three Ventures[shaft drive] but also on my Triumph [belt drive] cause ,like the Ventures,it too was making noise and that procedure corrected the problem.So after experiencing the problem with those bikes, when I changed my back tire on my Indian at 15,000 miles,I did the same thing,hence no noise coming from the back wheel and she's now just shy of the 27,000 mile mark.Hope that helps ya or ,atleast gives ya a direction to go in!! Dave!!!

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Lift rear wheel clear of the ground, put bike in gear, roll wheel forward and back, feel for free-play. Check for any bearing slop, wiggle rear wheel and also drive pulley side-to-side. Any looseness might show up where the problem (if any) resides.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Next time you have the back wheel off for tire R+R,try cleaning the inside of the wheel where the cush drive hub fits into it,the hub itself,and the rubber cush drive itself ,then lightly coat the rubber cush drive itself with alitle axle grease.[ya don't need much,just a light coating] That should shut it up.I had to do that on my three Ventures[shaft drive] but also on my Triumph [belt drive] cause ,like the Ventures,it too was making noise and that procedure corrected the problem.So after experiencing the problem with those bikes, when I changed my back tire on my Indian at 15,000 miles,I did the same thing,hence no noise coming from the back wheel and she's now just shy of the 27,000 mile mark.Hope that helps ya or ,atleast gives ya a direction to go in!! Dave!!!
We use a dry graphite lubricant that does not react with or soften rubber. When these are new, they can be difficult to get seated into place without the lube. I have seen the bearings go out, and also the rubber to wear until it creates slop in the drive system.

·
Bronze member
2,664 Posts
All I can tell ya is,I had that problem on the four machines I mentioned,and then on the Indian,which also uses a CUSH drive.And after performing that simple little chore, there was no more problem.Try it,don't try it,that's up to you! It's your bike and all I was trying to do was give ya a direction to go in,nothing more and nothing less.I wish you luck!! ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
Back to the dealer, and the Tech who looked at it said that the belt was too tight. Well, I had just taken it in for a belt adjustment, so I was skeptical, but after he adjusted it properly, the noise is 98% gone. He said that someone else had done the adjustment previously. I asked if these bikes normally stretch their belts, because the first guy said that the belt was extreemly loose. They told me no, they don't. This dealer did the 500 mile service, and should have checked the belt then. They also put tires on it 5K miles ago, and should have checked it then. Makes you want to throw your hands in the air....
I would never have dreamed that a belt could make the kind of noise that I was hearing, but apparently.....

·
Bronze member
2,664 Posts
When the belt is cold,it should have somewheres between 1 1/2- 2 inches of up and down movement at it's tightest point.After it's been driven for awhile and heats up,it should have atleast an inch of up and down movement at its' tightest point.I learned that on my last bike after pullin out what little hair I had left!!:eek::eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't had any luck searching for threads about this, so here goes.
I can't imagine where this noise is coming from if it's not the cush drive. The belt was just adjusted by the dealer, and that stopped the chirpy rattle I was hearing, but now there's an even scarier noise. Sounds like a metal on metal grinding at low speeds when there's no load on the gears. If I'm slowing down from about 25 mph with the clutch pulled in, it's pretty loud sometimes, and is for sure coming from the rear end. Also, I hear a solid click from there when I transition from closed throttle to accelerating quickly. Thing is, I can't feel any free play in the rear sprocket.
I know there was a problem with earlier models (I have a '17) but anyone know about problems with this? I have 15K on the odometer.
Thanks Guys
Exact same noise and conditions I am experiencing for last couple months on 16 Vintage. Dealer says belt is not out of adjustment(checked both hot and cold) What else then can it be but the cush drive?

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,727 Posts
I wonder if the amount of gravel roads I have to go down does the same thing with the dust collecting everywhere? Can't be helped. Texas roads suck in places. But I do wonder about this because I've never heard the chirping and I put the bike in neutral and shut it down coasting to a stop all the time. At 30k miles though I absolutely did need a new belt as recommended in the owners manual service section. Maybe this chirping should be welcomed?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if the amount of gravel roads I have to go down does the same thing with the dust collecting everywhere? Can't be helped. Texas roads suck in places. But I do wonder about this because I've never heard the chirping and I put the bike in neutral and shut it down coasting to a stop all the time. At 30k miles though I absolutely did need a new belt as recommended in the owners manual service section. Maybe this chirping should be welcomed?
My dealer did tell me that they have seen bikes that travel dirt roads with the cush drive full of dust that caused a noise from there.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,664 Posts
We use a dry graphite lubricant that does not react with or soften rubber. When these are new, they can be difficult to get seated into place without the lube. I have seen the bearings go out, and also the rubber to wear until it creates slop in the drive system.
Neither does Die Electric grease which is why I use it,plus,it doesn't make a mess like regular grease does!!!

·
Bronze member
2,664 Posts
If you're asking me if I've ever checked the drive pulley bearing in my bike:The answer is:When ever I have the wheel off on the bike or anything I'm working on,I check EVERYTHING! Why?? Cause I do NOT like to be embarrassed,especially when on the road and a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong ways from home!! ;);) Just in case ya haven't noticed,these bikes are pretty heavy to be pushing around!!!:eek::eek::D:D:D

·
Registered
461 Posts
I live on gravel and I can tell you mine squeals like a pig. Only after 15 miles or so does the dirt work out of it and it quiets down. Then back up the mountain and by the time I get home it's squealing again. Adjustment is perfect. But I did notice the last time I had the wheel off that my rear sprocket is flaking. I think I have one of those "early" sprocket/belt combinations that some had replaced under warranty. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
853 Posts
my 2015 RM was making the exact noises you describe and the dealer ended up replacing belt, sprocket, tear wheel bearing and cush drive under warranty at around 22k. She has 34k now and all is good.

·
Early joiner
236 Posts
my 2015 RM was making the exact noises you describe and the dealer ended up replacing belt, sprocket, tear wheel bearing and cush drive under warranty at around 22k. She has 34k now and all is good.
I ride a Cush-noise free 2015 RM. My good bud regularly rides the #280s numbered2014 Chieftain I sold him couple of years ago. Both our bikes have always been free of ‘cush’ squeals/noises discussed here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you Checked the drive pulley bearing.
My dealer (Smoky Mountain Indian, Waynesville NC) has had that wheel off twice and checked all that without finding anything wrong. I've put about 500 miles on it since they adjusted the belt the second time and the noise seems to be coming back slightly. Probably 5% as much as before, but it's still there. I'm going to try lubing the belt to see if it will stop it, so what should I use? I have a can of spray belt dressing but someone said candle wax or maybe something else?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,664 Posts
When I changed my first rear tire at 15,000 miles,I removed and cleaned everything in the back wheel,then sparingly lubed the cush drive with die electric grease,just like I did on my last four machines that also used a cush drive.It's now pushin 28,000 miles and not a peep is comin out of that back wheel.DAM,I'm good!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,030 Posts
Kinda agree with you. I would use a dry lubricant. Talcum or a dry graphite. There are enough things that attract dust to the back wheel assy. Dean

1 - 19 of 19 Posts