Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Founding member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awesome ride today in the great Kansas winds. Got me thinking about how much folks love winding roads and I certainly do agree. Still a nice constant 20 to 25 mph breeze isn't too shabby either.

I read a post on another forum the other day about "boring" Kansas roads. I disagree, Kansas has some nice winding roads and factor in a good wind and it's too much fun.
IMG_20180303_192032.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I don't know that too many folks like riding in a stiff wind. To each his own, I suppose.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Kansas does have some great roads to ride. I usually take the old Santa Fe trail south from I-70 when heading west to Colorado from Indiana. Its only a two lane but it is beautiful. Very little traffic so one can cruise and really enjoy the ride. I really get bored on the Interstate.

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Registered
332 Posts
I drove through Kansas on I 70 and got a ride like no other. It was intense and then you would see the big I mean really big wind turbines and think to yourself, I bet they put them where the wind is at its best and they doo. When I got brave and kicked the speed up the big Indian cut through the wind a lot better, was a hell of a ride.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Headwinds or tailwinds I don't mind. Steady crosswinds are ok. Gusty crosswinds are not fun, IMO.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Yep, those gusty and changing winds can wake you up, or push you off the road if you aren't alert! I'll pass on the wind if given a choice.

·
Founding member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed, Gusty isn't enjoyable, but steady I'm home can be fun.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Yep, those gusty and changing winds can wake you up, or push you off the road if you aren't alert! I'll pass on the wind if given a choice.
When I lived in the Texas panhandle, I got used to riding at about a constant 10 degree tilt, usually to the west, which is the direction of the prevailing wind. 20 mph was an average day there, but the wind tended to be pretty steady. Another area with thousands of wind turbines.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Amarillo by morning!
The nicest Interstate I've ever ridden is I-27 from Lubbock to Amarillo. Great condition, almost no traffic. Absolutely flat. Not much to see, but you get where you're going really quickly. Lots of cows on each side of the road.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not......but if not then you are the first person I have run across that prefers and enjoys riding in the wind. Wind is certainly not gonna stop me from riding, but I’ll take calm instead any day.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not......but if not then you are the first person I have run across that prefers and enjoys riding in the wind. Wind is certainly not gonna stop me from riding, but I’ll take calm instead any day.
Really have to watch those passing semis on narrow roads. If the combined wind forces complement each other, watch out for the sudden correction needed to stay in the lane. I have avoided the worst of the windy days in part because of this danger.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I hit some head winds on 95 yesterday that felt like it slowed the bike from 80 to 70. Tall trees kept the cross winds down. At least until a bridge or an opening. This bike moves around a little more than my Strat but rides smoother.

·
Founding member
2,236 Posts
The IMRG-KC did a ride yesterday from Olathe to Perry for lunch and the wind was definitely noted. We had a group of 17 bikes. Most of the time the wind was strong and steady, but if you weren't watching for the tree breaks and hills that can block the wind momentarily it could surprise you. Most of the ride was with a crosswind so it kept most from really enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Don't know if this is a Kansas issue or not, but in the windy parts of Texas you also have to watch out for tumbleweeds. Some of those are as big as washtubs and they would knock you off your bike if you didn't dodge them.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Luckily it doesn't get too windy here in the Texas Hill Country the majority of the time, but some days there are wind gust strong through these Hills, but still enjoy riding the roads.

Was 79 degrees today so went for a short ride of about 150 miles then back home.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Founding member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wasn't being sarcastic, and want to be clear I'm talking all conditions good wind. Nice wide road, little to no traffic and long slow curves.. We have lots of these conditions here in Kansas, so sprinkle in a nice wind with few gusts and you have a recipe for some great riding. Maybe not for everyone, but certainly puts a smile on my face

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Having been through those areas of the country before I sure know what your talking about regarding the winds there. I kept wishing I wasn't there while traveling, once in a motorhome for that matter but never a motorcycle. Not yet anyhow.

I often check what the winds are doing on an otherwise good weather day, 30 MPH gusts is usually a no-go for me, and a coin flip decision (not really!) if above 20 MPH.

I've noticed I don't see as many motorcycles out if I'm braving the gusty winds. And it's not like we're talking strong storm winds either, so I've wondered before if that was just my imagination or not. Can't say I don't ignore a '10 to 15 MPH winds' in the weather forecast either, but more of an adventure that way than if a calm day. I'll take calm, no winds, over windy though.

Curiously just today when I was out riding, a day that The Weather Channel said "Calm" for wind, I encountered a little freak gust that knocked me into a sideways tilt for a moment. Was on the freeway, but no traffic anywhere near me, closest was 200 yards ahead. Strange thing, that, because maybe if I had been buffeted about on a windy day or from traffic I might not have noticed so much. It really was like someone grabbed the handlebars and yanked hard tilting me leftward then nothing. No dust devil/whirlwind seen either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts