Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can say is WOW.....So, as most us know..the Stock pipes make the scout 60 sound a bit tame to say the least. I decided to swap out and put on a pair of Crusher Maverick slip-on's. (yea she only has 400 miles on her but I couldn't resist) What a difference. Not wake up the neighborhood difference, but a difference none the less. No mapping needed, just swap and go.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I really thought that my Crushers were too loud. Nice sound but too loud.:eek: So I drilled my stock mufflers, I drilled the cat converters and both ends of the baffle. It now has a real deep sound at idle, an acceptable tone while cruising and a sharp bark on hard throttle. Got the best of all worlds,:) but that's in my humble opinion of course.;)

·
Silver member
4,072 Posts
Bld2016 put these pipes on her new Scout 60 and she loves them. I think they are PLENTY loud. Good sound but quite loud.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really thought that my Crushers were too loud. Nice sound but too loud.:eek: So I drilled my stock mufflers, I drilled the cat converters and both ends of the baffle. It now has a real deep sound at idle, an acceptable tone while cruising and a sharp bark on hard throttle. Got the best of all worlds,:) but that's in my humble opinion of course.;)
Hi Mike, Can you provide detailed instructions on how to do this?

·
Registered
953 Posts
picked up first issue of 'Spirit of 1901' from the dealer, this is a UK based Indian magazine. It features Crusher Maverick slip-ons and the sound and power increase "...without any changes to the intake, header pipes or fuel map". Nice to see it in writing that if you're just fitting these slip-ons you can run with the stock fuelling. It also mentions "... a weight saving of 14lbs compared to the stock mufflers" which is nice!

must say I take the power increase with a pinch of salt, but did find the stock fuelling on the test bike I rode with Mavericks to be spot on without any spurious pops.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi Mike, Can you provide detailed instructions on how to do this?
You will need a drill, cordless or corded, a 12" extension and a good quality 1 1/4" bi-metal hole saw, I used a LENOX 1-1/4-in Bi-Metal Arbored Hole Saw Item # 348128 Model # 1772491 from Lowes
You will need to remove the stock mufflers. You can start from either end but the inlet end also has the catalytic converters that must be punched out or hole sawed so that you can gain access to the baffle plug. The cat is hard so let the hole saw do the work, don't rush it, it will saw through it. Once that is done, saw the baffle plug, then flip the muffler and do the other end baffle plug. Getting the pieces out of the mufflers requires shaking the mufflers, make sure that you get the plugs out. Having someone hold the mufflers upright while you're drilling makes the job easier. Let me know how you make out on this project.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Brought this over from previous thread. You can slip in a Harley Drag Pipe Baffle. This will take it down to about 75 to 80 db at idle. I lost the outside fiberglass batt when I knocked out the baffle - simply replaced with new fiberglass batt during reinstall. Just enough to take the edge off.
Tool Auto part Tool accessory Metal

·
Registered
446 Posts
picked up first issue of 'Spirit of 1901' from the dealer, this is a UK based Indian magazine. It features Crusher Maverick slip-ons and the sound and power increase "...without any changes to the intake, header pipes or fuel map". Nice to see it in writing that if you're just fitting these slip-ons you can run with the stock fuelling. It also mentions "... a weight saving of 14lbs compared to the stock mufflers" which is nice!

must say I take the power increase with a pinch of salt, but did find the stock fuelling on the test bike I rode with Mavericks to be spot on without any spurious pops.
The increase of power if any wasn't noticeable. The weight saving also didn't do anything for performance or MPG. The Crushers are nice but for me they were entirely too loud. I contacted Crusher and inquired about lower db baffles and was informed that they were not available for the Crusher slip-ons because they would create too much back pressure and adversely affect performance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The increase of power if any wasn't noticeable. The weight saving also didn't do anything for performance or MPG. The Crushers are nice but for me they were entirely too loud. I contacted Crusher and inquired about lower db baffles and was informed that they were not available for the Crusher slip-ons because they would create too much back pressure and adversely affect performance.
Damnit. I just logged on to find out if there was a way to dampen them. I *did* notice a performance increase after they were put on. My throttle response got quicker, and my bike had a bit more pep and vigor. The noise level, however, is becoming obnoxious for me. If I'd wanted a Harley, I would've bought one.

So, what alternatives have you found, Mike?

Omar

·
Registered
188 Posts
Brought this over from previous thread. You can slip in a Harley Drag Pipe Baffle. This will take it down to about 75 to 80 db at idle. I lost the outside fiberglass batt when I knocked out the baffle - simply replaced with new fiberglass batt during reinstall. Just enough to take the edge off.
View attachment 70625
Paul, I assume the Harley Drag baffles were for the Crushers--how much lower is 75-80 dB for the Crushers? I don't know their default volume level. Is that a slip-in solution, or do you have to modify the Crushers to make them fit? I really would like to be able to do something about the volume without wrecking the performance gain.

Omar

·
Registered
446 Posts
Damnit. I just logged on to find out if there was a way to dampen them. I *did* notice a performance increase after they were put on. My throttle response got quicker, and my bike had a bit more pep and vigor. The noise level, however, is becoming obnoxious for me. If I'd wanted a Harley, I would've bought one.

So, what alternatives have you found, Mike?

Omar
My alternative was to hole saw the baffle plugs and the catalytic converters in the stock mufflers. See post #7 in this thread. The pep and vigor will return.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You will need a drill, cordless or corded, a 12" extension and a good quality 1 1/4" bi-metal hole saw, I used a LENOX 1-1/4-in Bi-Metal Arbored Hole Saw Item # 348128 Model # 1772491 from Lowes
You will need to remove the stock mufflers. You can start from either end but the inlet end also has the catalytic converters that must be punched out or hole sawed so that you can gain access to the baffle plug. The cat is hard so let the hole saw do the work, don't rush it, it will saw through it. Once that is done, saw the baffle plug, then flip the muffler and do the other end baffle plug. Getting the pieces out of the mufflers requires shaking the mufflers, make sure that you get the plugs out. Having someone hold the mufflers upright while you're drilling makes the job easier. Let me know how you make out on this project.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.