Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing oil in my roadmaster for the third and fourth time. After draining the oil when the two drain plugs came out only one crush washer came off. I looked in the oil drain pan it wasn’t there. So I got the flashlight out, and it is stuck up in the hole where the bolt goes and I cannot get it out. I’ve tried lightly with a plastic knife then I have a razor blade to try to get the crush washer to bust loose from the bottom of the engine but it has not yet. Any ideas? If not I may leave it in this time because I think I change them out last time. Put the new one on the one that came out save the other For next time.

I ran the bike for five minutes or so to get all warm before I changed it I don’t want to pry in there with anything too sharp and booger up the threads ...???

·
Bronze member
2,108 Posts
Normally,they just fall off when the drain screw comes out.But I did have one which stuck in place after the drain plug was removed,so I took a soft plastic hammer and taped it squarely and lightly a couple times and she fell right off.So try that the next time around.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally,they just fall off when the drain screw comes out.But I did have one which stuck in place after the drain plug was removed,so I took a soft plastic hammer and taped it squarely and lightly a couple times and she fell right off.So try that the next time around.
I will give the plastic tip hammer a shot. I have that and a rubber mallet, If not it stays this round probably! thx

·
Bronze member
2,108 Posts
Don't waste your time using a rubber mallet because it will not give enough shock to the washer when ya hit it.The plastic hammer should do the trick.

·
Founding member / silver
5,066 Posts
90 degree angle pick should get it out. If you don't have one, bend the longest small nail you can find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don’t mess with drain plugs..I use a hand sump pump and suck the oil out from the dipstick hole ..works great for me.. just sayin..

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you only had a gold tech dealer nearby
Wink wink

Keep at it, 90degree pick for sure, a needle, staple, paperclip, eye glass screw driver

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,108 Posts
If ya have a small chisel with a small,but sharp edge on it and insert it between the edge of the washer and the block,then gently tap on it,that should break it free.I don't know why you're having so much trouble with this washer cause they're generally pretty easy to knock off.:confused: Are you sure that there is ,infact,a washer stuck on the block and not just the block itself?? The reason I ask is because I have encountered jobs where the last guy that worked on it did NOT put a washer back on.And sometimes it will leak,and sometimes it won't.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The crush washers shouldn't be "in" the holes. They should be flat against the bottom surface of the case and captive between the plug shoulder and the case. Are you sure there is a seal there at all? Pictures might help.

·
Bronze member
2,108 Posts
I don’t mess with drain plugs..I use a hand sump pump and suck the oil out from the dipstick hole ..works great for me.. just sayin..

A lot of marinas in the boating industry do that too,because it's quicker,only to discover that the pick up screen on the oil pump will eventually clog due to crap left in the crankcase from NOT draining the old oil out correctly,ultimately, leading to motor failure due to lack of lubrication.Been there and seen that a few times.But,it's your bike and your decision as to how you take care of it.I wish you luck!!

·
Bronze member
2,164 Posts
Just run a very high-end oil like Redline with a much longer drain interval.

Now your efforts are cut in half and (or perhaps thirds) and your engine is being treated better by the superior oil.

WD./

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I should’ve posted last night. I got it out finally. After tapping on it with the plastic hammer did not come out that way. Granted my bike is lowered and I did not have it up on my jack at the time to keep it leaned for draining the oil.

I went inside and got an eye glasses kit with a very thin small flat head screwdriver in it and got just in between the lip of the crush washer and the engine and it popped right out easily. So maybe popping it with the plastic hammer and then prying lightly with that small screwdriver got it. Filled it back up with oil and tested it ran it cranked it all is well no leaks.

Thanks for all the replies and thoughts. I just got busy with other things last night dinner and seeing my better half off to her job out of town and forgot to post my results.

On a related sidenote. About six months ago I picked up a oil change kit via Indian through somebody who was hit hard by the hurricane in Port Saint Joe. I was able to use the oil which was fine and sealed up. But I could not use the oil filter so I had to go get one. Due to the fact that the salt air wind and water from the hurricane had rusted the oil filter. That was in that kit. So it went into the trash and I bought a new filter from the part store

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whoooah back gentlemen!
This discussion nearly became an oil thread.
Thank the Lord that it stayed on track!!
You mean I was supposed to put oil back in it? :);)o_O

1 - 18 of 18 Posts