Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rider
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok sorry about the title.
Anyway, I was on a long haul on my 16 Chief and when I used the CC, it would sometimes self cancel when going over bumps. Not potholes, but more like bridge aprons, rough spots, and the like. Even w hand off throttle.

Cruising along at 75/80, it's quite a wake-up to suddenly get tossed into full deceleration. I don't like it. Wondering if others have experienced this.
Possible gear sensor issue? I haven't done the recall yet. Thanks

·
Rider
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I actually thought perhaps a wheel left the ground for a split second and shut er down.
But @WillyH 's post got me thinking it may be otherwise. It's probably nothing

·
Registered
502 Posts
I actually thought perhaps a wheel left the ground for a split second and shut er down.
But @WillyH 's post got me thinking it may be otherwise. It's probably nothing
I have this happen, I would think it’s normal. Wheel bounces off the ground throwing a diff in speed between the two and shuts it off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When you turn the throttle forward, the cruise control disengages. At the beginning of having it, the same thing that you say happened to me when going over potholes and it was because I turned the accelerator without realizing it.

Sorry for the English half my half of Gooogle translator.

·
Bronze member
3,574 Posts
Before buying this machine,I owned three Yamaha Ventures,all equipped with CC.And every time I hit a bump on any of those three machines,the CC would quit and I'd have to hit the resume button to get it back on.However,on this machine,I have yet to have a problem with the CC,and I've hit a lot of bumps with it when the CC was engaged.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
It's been mentioned that the micro switch at the clutch lever is pretty sensitive, and might cause the CC shut off when the bike gets banged around. What @Dieseldoc says seems to make sense too.... kick stand might get pissed off when jarred. Reset always gets mine back to normal. I guess it's just a glitch in the I/P over sensitive electrical systems on these bikes.

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
If it does this, and the Check Engine light comes on, it will be, more than likely, the little micro-switch inside the clutch lever housing has broken off. It's a pretty fragile part. Most dealers stock that part, because it breaks fairly easily. Had it break on mine anyway, and the dealer kept a few in stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts