Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Cruise Control Question...

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  theMucker 
#1 ·
2015 Vintage is the bike.
The cruise control (CC) shuts off when I pull in the clutch handle in gears 4 & 5, as it should. But when I'm in 6th gear and CC is being used, cruise does NOT shut down when I pull in the clutch handle, and the engine revs. This only happens in 6th gear (I haven't checked gears 1 thru 3). It seems to me this would be a gear sensor issue, as opposed to a CC problem. Am I on track here or....? I haven't had the gear sensor cleaned or changed. Up until a few days ago it always worked as it should. What do you guys think? fwiw, the gear sensor icon on the speedo has always been a bit slow, but has been working ok.

Thoughts and or suggested cures are appreciated. Thanks :)

Reactions: theMucker
#2 ·
If my memory serves me correctly I believe you can not engage the cruise control in 1 thru 3. Only 4, 5, and 6. I believe this is handed by the VCM (cruise control and gear indication) and you are seeing the correct gear indication. Very odd. I just had my recall work done but I normally disengage the CC by bumping the throttle to the negative side of the relaxed position. I might have to try this on my next ride. Dean

#3 ·
Might be GSI/VCM. I've never tried pulling in the clutch when in CC, would need to see how my bike handles that. I have my bike scheduled to have the GSI serviced this week. Not having any issues, just peace of mind and wanting to get it taken care of. Little bit concerned about my ECU and tune getting over written. The tech said they have no control over not updating the ECU, it's hit and miss in their experience. Going in with my PVCX in hand, wish me luck.

#7 ·
Just did the recall on my 15 last Friday. If you got an older flash on the ECU I will bet your custom tune will be lost. You will need to do two things. One, the tune on your PVCX the .dkt file will need to be saved. Then do a format on the PVCX. Fuelmoto has a page that shows you how to do that. Then connect the PVCX to you bike and sync it to your ECU. You will get a new .stk file and a PC_info file. You will then need to go to the Fuelmoto site and fill our a form for having an issue with your tune map. There you will be able to download your new .stk file, the new PC_info file, and your old tune (the .dkt) file. In the comment section tell them that you had the recall done on the gear position sensor. They will then rewrite your tune to match the bike again. Then you will load it to your PVCX and load it back to your bike.

One caution. It will take at least a minute to write the new .stk file to teh PVCX so either have a good strong battery or put a charger on it when doing all of this. Dean

Reactions: pope
#4 ·
It seems to me the CC does stop after pulling in the Clutch in 6th gear, but it does rev high for a second until it "catches up". That's my understanding based on my own experiences. Not sure if it's how it's supposed to work, and it did used to annoy me, but like most things, I got used to it... lol I'll be following to see what others say because I bet you're right it shouldn't rev up once the clutch is engaged.

#5 ·
Thank you for the responses. Dean, same here, I'm in the habit of rolling the throttle forward to cancel CC before down shifting. For some reason my last time out I didn't roll off the CC and the engine rpms increased in 6th when I pulled in the clutch. So for shitz'n giggles I did the same thing in 4th & 5th just to see what would happen. And as I mentioned in my original post, when in 4th or 5th the CC shuts down as soon as I pull in the clutch. It's weird, or maybe I'm weird lol. Just seems that if CC shuts off in 4th & 5th upon clutch pull it would do the same in 6th. I guess (hope) it's nothing to be too concerned about. Will be interesting to see what happens if others do or try the clutch pull in 6th gear.
Thanks again for the responses.... Willy

#9 · (Edited)
I normally just roll the throttle forward to cancel the CC or lightly tap the rear break to cancel it.
But funny you bring this up today as just yesterday for the first time I pulled the clutch in and noticed it too canceled the CC. I'm pretty sure I was in 6th gear as I typically don't have the CC on unless I'm in 6th: (Edit: Forgot to mention that I don't recall it revving up at all.)
This makes sense to me because as you know; pulling in the clutch disengages the engine/crank from the transmission and drive-train so it makes sense that it would also cancel out the CC regardless whether your in gear 4, 5, or 6.

#12 ·
Yup, in 6th gear roll the throttle forward or hit the brakes (front or rear) and the CC disengages. I bought the bike pre-loved just under two years ago. Heck I dunno, maybe it's been this way since I bought the bike and/but just noticed this. It's no big deal really. Just seems odd that it acts differently in gears 4 & 5 than it does in 6th.

#13 ·
2015 Vintage is the bike.
The cruise control (CC) shuts off when I pull in the clutch handle in gears 4 & 5, as it should. But when I'm in 6th gear and CC is being used, cruise does NOT shut down when I pull in the clutch handle, and the engine revs. This only happens in 6th gear (I haven't checked gears 1 thru 3). It seems to me this would be a gear sensor issue, as opposed to a CC problem. Am I on track here or....? I haven't had the gear sensor cleaned or changed. Up until a few days ago it always worked as it should. What do you guys think? fwiw, the gear sensor icon on the speedo has always been a bit slow, but has been working ok.
I think that you are probably correct in that the gear position sensor is getting wonky. When the sensors start to misbehave, they don't all fail in the same way. You've probably read the threads about that. I suggest that you get the recall done and when you do, tell the service manager to be sure that Digital Wrench is totally up-to-date with the latest & greatest gear position sensor app. When mine was done, it went without a hitch and did NOT mess with my Stage 3 custom tune from Dynojet that I had installed with the PVCX.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.