Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having problems with their cruise control? Mine will not engage. The yellow icon shows on the display, but when cruising at 60+ and I hit the engage, it doesn't.
My dealer is 250 miles away and have not had a chance to get up there to get it fixed. I guess I'll have to wait until my 5000 check-up.
I asked the factory to split the cost of an maintenance manual ($140 list) so I could fix it myself, but not interested.
I hope we get a Dealer in Oregon soon.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
On my BMW R1200RT the front brake swith light was sticking so the cruise control would not come on. There might also be a fuse or relay for the Indians cruise control so check the fuses under the left cover. Good luck

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I just did my first long run on my Vintage, which has about 2700 miles on it. In two days of riding the cruise control dropped out 5 times. That is, I'm sitting on (say) 60mph with the cruise control on, then, I hit a bump in the road, and the cruise control turns off. I suspect that maybe it's caused by the front or back brake lever/peddle jarring, thereby telling the system to shut down. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,763 Posts
I just did my first long run on my Vintage, which has about 2700 miles on it. In two days of riding the cruise control dropped out 5 times. That is, I'm sitting on (say) 60mph with the cruise control on, then, I hit a bump in the road, and the cruise control turns off. I suspect that maybe it's caused by the front or back brake lever/peddle jarring, thereby telling the system to shut down. Anyone else have this happen?
Bluey, are you sure that you're not rolling off the throttle all the way on bumps? I've done that a few times and killed the cruise

·
1,956 Posts
Thanks Dan,,,, I'll watch to see if that's the answer,,, never thought of that possibility,,,

·
Registered
2 Posts
My cruise control will not work if I forget to manually shut it off before I shut off the bike. Ive forgotten twice now and as soon as I try and engage the cruise an engine light comes on and I have no function of the cruise. So far Ive been able to fix this by stopping, shutting off the cruise, then the bike and letting it sit for a few mins before restarting.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here's a new concern, The Cruise on/off switch sticks in the "on" position on my 2015 Vintage. . If I play with the switch enough, I can get it to pop out. Anyone else with this concern. And how can it be repaired?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Here's a new concern, The Cruise on/off switch sticks in the "on" position on my 2015 Vintage. . If I play with the switch enough, I can get it to pop out. Anyone else with this concern. And how can it be repaired?
That would happen on my Goldwing. I would have to periodically spray the switch with CRC Electronic Cleaner as a lubricant to free it up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I agree with the likelihood it's a brake disconnect switch. I had a brake recall done on my Goldwing. First, I had to leave the bike there for a week because they won't order recall parts until they have the bike. They finally called and said it was ready. I went and picked it up and half way home (about 20 miles) I tried to engage the CC. No dice. I turned around and took it back to the dealer. They had not properly adjusted the rear brake CC switch. Waited an hour for them to fix it. They didn't even give me a "sorry".
That's where I would start looking. The clutch will also disconnect it.

·
Bronze member
1,314 Posts
It happens on my Vintage as well. It's much worse in Illinois than most places. Could it just be these roads beating me up?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Anyone having problems with their cruise control? Mine will not engage. The yellow icon shows on the display, but when cruising at 60+ and I hit the engage, it doesn't.
My dealer is 250 miles away and have not had a chance to get up there to get it fixed. I guess I'll have to wait until my 5000 check-up.
I asked the factory to split the cost of an maintenance manual ($140 list) so I could fix it myself, but not interested.
I hope we get a Dealer in Oregon soon.

Thanks,
Mike
What gear are you in? On my '17 Roadmaster Cruise Control will only engage in 4th gear+.

·
Rider
397 Posts
check all of the safety switches (clutch, front/rear brakes, throttle) for sticking switches. If your brake/clutch levers are too loose they could also cause an issue w/cruise control.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That would happen on my Goldwing. I would have to periodically spray the switch with CRC Electronic Cleaner as a lubricant to free it up.
iflypigs; I followed you advise, unfortunately, the cruise control switch appears broke and now, it's time to visit my Service Department! However, thanks for the assistance.

·
Silver member
5,042 Posts
I think the cruise control has a safety built it in if you hit a really hard bump it disengages for safety, although it doesn't specifically say that in the manual.

upload_2018-8-14_9-19-2.png

·
Registered
2018 Chieftain DH
71 Posts
Bluey, are you sure that you're not rolling off the throttle all the way on bumps? I've done that a few times and killed the cruise
I am having the same problem, a good bump in the road, cruise deactivates. Cruise power stays on, you just have to hit resume. It is not the throttle, I can have my right hand on my thigh and it will still do it. I have not looked into the brake switches yet. Does anyone know, does it share a common switch for cruise and lights?

·
2,763 Posts
I am having the same problem, a good bump in the road, cruise deactivates. Cruise power stays on, you just have to hit resume. It is not the throttle, I can have my right hand on my thigh and it will still do it. I have not looked into the brake switches yet. Does anyone know, does it share a common switch for cruise and lights?
I have had that happen, too. I think that there is a possibility that one or both wheels get a little bit light on a bad bump and maybe slip or lose traction for a fraction of a second. If the wheel speed sensors detect any difference in wheel speed, the CC will cancel.

·
Registered
2018 Chieftain DH
71 Posts
I have had that happen, too. I think that there is a possibility that one or both wheels get a little bit light on a bad bump and maybe slip or lose traction for a fraction of a second. If the wheel speed sensors detect any difference in wheel speed, the CC will cancel.
Thanx, didn't know that one. I wonder if there is a way to adjust the sensitivity? If I head north from my house, I have to take this one road that has a crack in the pavement every 500 feet or so. I have a 20 mile ride with no stops that I can't use the cruise.

·
2,763 Posts
Thanx, didn't know that one. I wonder if there is a way to adjust the sensitivity? If I head north from my house, I have to take this one road that has a crack in the pavement every 500 feet or so. I have a 20 mile ride with no stops that I can't use the cruise.
No way to adjust that in my experience. It’s a safety item.

·
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,899 Posts
I rode w/o cruise control for 30 years... Twenty miles? You can do it... :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts