Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a Crotch Cooler from Capt Itch? I live in Texas and have been riding in 95+ heat and its really hot down by the seat. I have been looking at them and debating on the normal or the double ply. Just wanted to get some opinion before I pull the trigger. 100 to 150 dollars is a lot to me so I want to make sure it will help. Thanks for any responses.

·
Rider
1,303 Posts
You’re gonna get various answers on the cooler. Some people love them and say it really reduces heat, others say they see no difference. So it might be a flip the coin kind of decision. Good luck.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hmm, do I want to go to Bing and see what "crotch cooler" turns up? Hmmm :LOL:

Reactions: msklein

·
Registered
524 Posts
Have it on my Vintage and I have no heat issues, even in the 90's. I'd recommend one...and they look great.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am really liking mine. Live in New Mexico been riding 90's and 100's all summer. The crotch cooler has helped. Does not take it all away but I can definitely feel the difference. I had to modify it a bit to fit with my ultimate seat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
1,070 Posts
I really like mine, it's been on my bike for 5 years now and it does cut out most of the heat. At speed, it acts like a wing and it rises up. Mine is solid black with the silver studs, $109 I believe. It comes with 2 ply leather, very thick. It's hard to get it in the 1st time you install it, but a lot of things are like that.

Even after I put my FP true duels on my bike with no cat, I put the crotch cooler back on as it still made a difference. I live in SW Florida and it gets quite hot down here in the summer as well. Not Houston hot, but hot. Besides, you'll read of some bikes losing their side covers at speed. That won't ever happen with the cooler installed.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I had one on my Vintage for three years before trading, and now my new RM. I think they are great.

·
Registered
2018 Chieftain Limited. Hold my beer! I saw this in a cartoon....n
163 Posts
I have a scout sixty so a crotch cooler is not really needed being liquid cooled. My bike doesn't get over 207° before the fan kicks on.

It's your crotch do with it as you like.

·
Silver member
3,292 Posts
I live in beautiful Gilbert, Arizona, which is unfortunately just outside the mess of a city called Phoenix. We are routinely in the 140 degree range here, and will sometimes get to 155 or 160 degrees. Or maybe it just feels like it. Regardless, the crotch cooler definitely takes a little bit of the edge off.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I live in Houston, i have owned my roadmaster since July of 2019. I realized pretty quickly when the temperature reaches 100 here. The temp on your leg makes you start to wonder what the auto-ignition temperature of cotton is? In stand still traffic I thought for sure my right leg was going to get burned. I could not get my leg far enough away from the exhaust to be acceptable. If you are moving its OK. However, sometimes riding in houston its not possible to keep moving. After about 8 months I finally bought a crotch cooler and it helps but the same issue still applies. I am pretty sure the only way to solve the heat problem is removing the cat which will also require a new tune. I have still not decided which way I want to go. Full new exhaust or jackpot head pipe. Also hear about special paint that can be coated to the exhaust. Jetfire, I think. There are you tube demonstations if you are interested. In my opinion, the crotch cooler helps with heat from the rear cylinder head. It does nothing for the heat ahead of the catalytic converter which is lower. So once you figure out which heat is bothering you the most you can find an appropriate solution. Hope this helps, but its just my opinion. And lots of people have them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Additionally the cooler I bought was plain. No studs. I didn't like the way it looked so I bought some studs, needles wax thread and cut mine apart, added the studs re glued it and re sewed the layers. I relayy like the way it looks now. But, I would have been better off just buying the one that had studs. Took me several days and my finger were sore for a week. Here is a picture, hadn't even put the bags back on yet.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I live in Austin. I love my Chieftain but the heat from the TS111 in this weather is unbearable. With the crotch cooler, I don’t feel it at all. Maybe the best upgrade to my bike thus far. I’d prefer not to use it since it covers part of that gorgeous engine. Maybe I’ll take it off when the weather cools. But for now it’s a lifesaver. Can not recommend it enough.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Have it on my Vintage and I have no heat issues, even in the 90's. I'd recommend one...and they look great.
Did you notice the crotch cooler rubbing any paint off of your gas tank? I would like to get one I'm just afraid of losing paint or stepping up the gas tank

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I have one on my Springfield and it is definitely keeping heat from my thighs - the confirmation for me came when they forgot to put it on at my last service. I rode off in high heat and traffic and the heat while standing at lights was extreme. I looked down and saw it wasn't there so rode back to the dealer. Once it was on again the difference was very noticeable.

When I had a Scout the heat from the motor didn't worry me but the heat coming off the radiator in traffic when the fan turned on was a real cooker. If it works for the Scout I imagine there is no advantage on getting extra layers, go for the basic model that matches your bike.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Did you notice the crotch cooler rubbing any paint off of your gas tank? I would like to get one I'm just afraid of losing paint or stepping up the gas tank
Good question. I looked yesterday evening and don't see any rubbing. The bike was in the garage, but I'll have a closer look in better lighting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone use a Crotch Cooler from Capt Itch? I live in Texas and have been riding in 95+ heat and its really hot down by the seat. I have been looking at them and debating on the normal or the double ply. Just wanted to get some opinion before I pull the trigger. 100 to 150 dollars is a lot to me so I want to make sure it will help. Thanks for any responses.
I’ve had on my Vintage and moved it over to my RM, I think it makes a difference. I live in SoCal now and even with the deactivated rear cylinder on the RM, I’d think it make a difference. I wouldn’t buy another bike and not add it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts