Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Captain Itch crotch cooler? What are the pros and cons ? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I have ordered one in black with the Chief engraved on it with white stitching, but it is in the mail. Looking forward to it for riding in the hot Texas summers.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,752 Posts
I put one on my Chieftain. I didn't get it until the worst of the heat had passed last year, but found that it's also a crotch warmer.
At speed, it flares out, keeping the cold air off my upper thighs and (I assume) maybe even directing more cooling air to the rear cylinder.

·
2,752 Posts
Won't that trap more heat around the engine?
It will when you stop. But think about it; how long do you actually stop in traffic, at lights, etc? My leg heats up quickly and cools slowly. I think(hope) the heat that is trapped during those stops is dissipated rapidly with the oil cooler and motion.
Also, at a reasonably low speed, the flaps wing out and direct more air to the rear cylinder. I have no idea how much this actually helps and can't take a picture of it, but it makes sense that it is happening

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Thanks for the pic, I do remember the tread from last year now. The highest temp ever recorded here is 89, so I will pass. I have not noticed this to be an issue yet but will keep it in mind in my future southern rides.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Indian MC Exhibit Hershey AACA 021.JPG
Dan, it appears as if the 'cooler' overlaps the painted surface just a bit - does there seem to be any scuffing?
Thanks for the post - someone had started a similar post sometime last year and it's nice to have a real life review.

PS: I love the color of your bike! When I attended the Indian Motorcycle Exhibition at the Hershey Car Museum last October, I saw an old model Indian with the Springfield Blue and I was blown away by it. I have a Red Scout and I wouldn't change that for the world, but If I bought a 2nd Indian, that blue would have to be near the top of the list.

·
2,752 Posts
Gordon, you can adjust the cooler. It mounts with two holes under the forward seat mount. It doesn't rub on the paint at all.
I was going to buy the red Chieftin until I saw the blue in the showroom.
My Scout will be red... and de chromed...

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Thanks for the pic, I do remember the tread from last year now. The highest temp ever recorded here is 89, so I will pass. I have not noticed this to be an issue yet but will keep it in mind in my future southern rides.
I will take those cool 89 degree days, just an early spring day, even got to 84 yesterday the 28th of January, many days of late July and all of August till early September are 100 degrees plus and a few 110 degrees plus, you cook your crouch if you don't have something to defect the heat from you "jewels"

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I checked with the Medical School at the local University and learned that the most commonly discarded body part from donated corpses is the soles of people's feet. As everyone knows, these comprise very thick skin, so I arranged to have a Size 12 grafted to my inside left thigh, and a dainty little ladies Size 6 to my inside right thigh.

After 3 weeks recouperation the skin graft had taken and I was almost off the morphine, so off I went for a ride on my Vintage to gauge the heat.

I must say that I felt no heat whatsoever!!!!!! These soles are perfect insulation, and after the initial discomfit I didn't even know they were there.

The only annoying side effect is that both my thighs quiver violently when ever I see a football - seems like the grafted soles wanna chase the ball. Other than that, I thoroughly recommend this procedure as an easy and convenient way of solving the heat issue, plus of course it saves unwanted soles going to landfill.

(TIP: Try and find a pair of tattooed soles,,, they add mystique and art to your thighs, and your Lady will be intrigued because it makes you soooo different to average men.)

image.jpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have you looked into Freedom Performance true duel exhaust they will get rid of your cats and in return you will gain some HP and reduce the heat, I just order them for my RoadMaster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts