Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Working with heat transfer. Something I observed is bikes with crotch coolers. Interesting people install them and comment it helps keep your leg and body cooler. Cylinder still create same amount of heat so where did heat go......... It's in the cylinder. Crotch cooler slowes air flow therefore heat transfer. Remember rear cylinder air. Temp already raised by front cylinder therefore slowed transfer to 2nd. Cylinder. Newer cylinder deactivation only occurs at low air flow or idle.
Exactly why I don’t use one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Interesting. In my work. The lab can only produce controlled condition it isn't until info from field can show a problem that we can't see. Vender change pin connection. Etc. Physics shows no need to test. This would be burden of itchy crotch. But I volunteer to ride test bike. Of course Nancy. Will confirm all data

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
You guys remember when Indian Mother Ship added that air funnel/scoop to the OE Air Cleaner somewhere in 2016 to get some air redirected to the rear cylinder?
Despite their penny pinching on other parts at that time and despite the marginal size/design?

They must have had good reasons to waste a few pennies on some additional plastic ... I would say.

All in all it is all simple:
All we need is a infrared heat measuring device pointed to the rear cylinder head ... voila ... discussion ended.

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk
Everyday that we learn something is a good day.

·
Rider
1,156 Posts
An IR thermometer would work, as long as you use the exact same time, temperature and humidity conditions, rider, route, driving habits, and taken within a certain amount of seconds after dismounting. Do all that, and the results will be an accurate comparison. Possibly do that run 2 or 3 times each, average the results and compare. Nancy is not included though!!!
I like it! The only thing that I would add is that the test includes plenty of very slow riding and idling, because that's when the CC will prove to either retain heat or not.

·
Silver member
4,201 Posts
I have not been inside a 2018 or later model, but all the big bore kits for models earlier than 2020 do include connecting rods. So I presume that only 2020 & beyond have the beefier rods right off the showroom floor.

A curious observation... the 2020 & 2021 big bore kits include cylinder heads. Bigger valves? More compression? Whatever kit you look at, whether its for 2016s or later they all have the same performance claims; 20% more horsepower and 15% more torque. Apparently the factory doesn't bother testing and/or reporting variations in performance from one model Indian or BBK to another.
Makes sense I/P would provide better rods with the BBkits for the 111s with the pencil rods LOL. I was actually referring to/asking about the off the floor models, as you mentioned. Thanks!

·
Rider
972 Posts
I can see how it would restrict the air flow, but has anyone had any issue with long term use causing rear cylinder damage?
5 years and counting.
Count me in at 4 years, and over 40K, with no discernable problems. Much of it in traffic, commuting back and forth to work through Charlotte. And since I live in the southeast, plenty of that was in over 90º heat.

BD

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Makes sense I/P would provide better rods with the BBkits for the 111s with the pencil rods LOL. I was actually referring to/asking about the off the floor models, as you mentioned. Thanks!
What comes with 116 bbkit

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I can see how it would restrict the air flow, but has anyone had any issue with long term use causing rear cylinder damage?
There was a post on this forum last year in which the owner had a burnt valve that the service tech said that the probable cause was the CC...but it's the only one that I have seen.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I don’t see the use for one myself. No hotter then my Harleys all these years. Hottest I’ve rode in is 106 NP here. But I just moved to AZ so it mite change. We will see next summer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I don’t see the use for one myself. No hotter then my Harleys all these years. Hottest I’ve rode in is 106 NP here. But I just moved to AZ so it mite change. We will see next summer.
If I where in southwest and on a air cooled bike. Love jugs are a must. My one cent

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I know many people don’t like these but I had them on my first Indian motorcycle and they worked well for me. They still allow plenty of air flow around the rear cylinder.

I stopped using them because they make it very difficult to remove the side panels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I know many people don’t like these but I had them on my first Indian motorcycle and they worked well for me. They still allow plenty of air flow around the rear cylinder.

I stopped using them because they make it very difficult to remove the side panels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
never heard that mounted to horn cover

141 - 160 of 171 Posts