Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Senior member / gold
6,941 Posts
Well y'all I have all the information I need to make a educated decision on this subject. A. Word to the wise.... Big brother is watching this and don't be surprised if. Memo is being written to watch for warranty claims from a itchy crotch
Big Brother knows all about Itchy Crotches. Some of their dealers sell them. If we go down, we're taking them down with us! Lol!

·
Senior member / gold
6,941 Posts
OEM. Approved
Warranty coverage is almost entirely on your dealer's shoulders. If they don't care about aftermarket or dubious performance parts, they will look after you. If they are a "By the Book" dealership, make sure you remove those parts before you take your bike in for warranty work.
That's really the Bottomline!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I work for manufacture and warranty claims are denied or approved at Corp level. Different industry

·
Bronze member
2,203 Posts
You guys remember when Indian Mother Ship added that air funnel/scoop to the OE Air Cleaner somewhere in 2016 to get some air redirected to the rear cylinder?
Despite their penny pinching on other parts at that time and despite the marginal size/design?

They must have had good reasons to waste a few pennies on some additional plastic ... I would say.

All in all it is all simple:
All we need is a infrared heat measuring device pointed to the rear cylinder head ... voila ... discussion ended.

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Rider
977 Posts
All in all it is all simple:
All we need is a infrared heat measuring device pointed to the rear cylinder head ... voila ... discussion ended.
Really, apparently you have been reading this forum very long . . . . .

BD

·
Bronze member
2,203 Posts
Really, apparently you have been reading this forum very long . . . . .

BD
naah ... when Nancy came up I stopped reading. But now I understand your comment: Idea has been discussed and theMucker somehow disqualified the IR gun. But only for absolute readings! As long you do a comparison at the same spot, the method with a IR gun is still valid.

·
Bronze member
2,203 Posts
Now lets get back on topic:
A Crotch Cooler is not a political statement. And the conclusion that an Air Cooled rear cylinder will run hotter when covered up does not need a CDC, WHO or other expert(s).

The only question which remains:
Is a Itchy Captain cover enough cover to cause damage? Well, obviously many seem to prove: not yet (or they don't care for the cylinder head as much as for their crotches ... legitimate)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a Cap’n Itch CC for a while.
It only kept the heat around the rear jug when stopped. When moving at road speed, the CC wings out and circulates air around the cylinder.
Remove the cat and you won’t need a CC anymore.
Dan, I came to the same conclusion. I have ridden with Capt. Itch CC through 115 degree temps in CA desert and while it was bearable hot, but when I stopped the misery ensued even with the CC. Removing the Cat and tuning with PV3 has resolved 85% of that issue. I never had an overheat problem that I know of. However anytime I run in 95 degree plus temps I also added Lucas Oil Octane Booster - 2 oz to a full tank of 92 octane. This provided a better detonation at higher temps minimizing ping even in low rev high gear situations. I probably lose a bit of HP and mileage but that's not my concern on a day out with my pals.

Turns out I had the worst case scenario with my bike and heat. I bought the bike used 2 years ago with just shy of 30K miles. For the past 24 months unbeknown to me, I have been ridding with a pinched set of pipes less then 1 foot from the rear header. Plus another large pinch just after the cat in my crossover. I wish I had known sooner, but now I have Freedom headers and the bike is significantly cooler. I was out yesterday 100 degree temps and when stopped the rear cylinder heat was noticeable but my nuts weren't boiling and I did not have the CC on the bike yesterday. I probably wont use the CC much anymore as I have already removed it from the bike. It looks better without in my opinion. Hope this is helpful.

20201009_184202.jpg 20201009_184211.jpg 20201009_184212.jpg 20201003_095208.jpg

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bought my roadmaster in July of 2019. I didnt care how hot it got in south Texas I wanted to ride. I had been on a 25+ year dry spell raising three kids. I never was bothered on the bike until I got stuck in traffic after some hwy driving for about 12 miles. Then i realized that i started to think i need to get off the bike!. I could not get my leg far enough away from the pipes to feel like it was not going to catch my jeans on fire. This is not an exaggeration. When I got home I looked up the autoignition temperature of cotton because I thought it had to be close. I did not believe the cc was the right fix and I still think removing the cat and reprogramming the ecu to richen up the fuel mixture which will lower the high temps they need to meet the epa guidelines is the real solution. But, the opportunity to put one on came up and I still had not done the other things so I put a crotch cooler on. It still gets hot. But, I really like the way it looks and I have not felt like it was going to burn me either. The humidity gets pretty high down here as well as the summer temps. I never felt like I could get burnt unless the ambient temps get upwards of 100deg F. At those temperatures, the temps at the pipe get extremely uncomfortable very quick.

My two cents.

·
Bronze member
2,818 Posts
I too thought about buying a Crotch Cooler right after buying this machine,but then realized, since the machine uses such a big inch air cooled motor, that Crotch Cooler would somewhat restrict fresh air from getting in and then somewhat restrict it from escaping ,especially on the rear cylinder,which will not do the motor any good.
Needless to say, I do not have a Crotch Cooler and have also driven mine in traffic.And yes,it does get alitle warm under your ars as well as your left leg,but does NOT burn you,unless your leg actually comes in contact with the cylinder.But since these machines are ,in fact,air cooled,ya want as much fresh air as possible to get to the motor to cool it,as well as,allowing it to escape ,especially from that back cylinder. Dave!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Bought my roadmaster in July of 2019. I didnt care how hot it got in south Texas I wanted to ride. I had been on a 25+ year dry spell raising three kids. I never was bothered on the bike until I got stuck in traffic after some hwy driving for about 12 miles. Then i realized that i started to think i need to get off the bike!. I could not get my leg far enough away from the pipes to feel like it was not going to catch my jeans on fire. This is not an exaggeration. When I got home I looked up the autoignition temperature of cotton because I thought it had to be close. I did not believe the cc was the right fix and I still think removing the cat and reprogramming the ecu to richen up the fuel mixture which will lower the high temps they need to meet the epa guidelines is the real solution. But, the opportunity to put one on came up and I still had not done the other things so I put a crotch cooler on. It still gets hot. But, I really like the way it looks and I have not felt like it was going to burn me either. The humidity gets pretty high down here as well as the summer temps. I never felt like I could get burnt unless the ambient temps get upwards of 100deg F. At those temperatures, the temps at the pipe get extremely uncomfortable very quick.

My two cents.
I had ultra classic. And install set of love jugs. This works great at heat removal. My one cent

·
Rider
1,159 Posts
I still can't get over how skinny and slender those connecting rods are on these 111 engines.
Yeah. The original rods are pretty slender. And waaaaay back before the NEW Indians were released yet, I read a Cycle World article by Kevin Cameron about the finite element analysis design that led the OEM to produce them. It was all about how they were able to keep weight at a minimum, while producing a connecting rod that was strong enough to handle the power of a long stroke, high torque 1.6 liter big twin. Apparently they weren't figuring for the 116-CI kit that they came out with a few years later. As you can see in one of the photos, my engine got Carrillo H-beam rods.

·
Silver member
4,235 Posts
@theMucker - I know there have been piston & head changes/improvements in the later models. Think it was pistons in 2018 and heads in 2020 but not sure about the years. Do you know if the rods have been beefed up?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
@theMucker - I know there have been piston & head changes/improvements in the later models. Think it was pistons in 2018 and heads in 2020 but not sure about the years. Do you know if the rods have been beefed up?
Seeing the nozzle that spraying oil at piston was very interesting to me. But I think Nancy is hot

·
Rider
1,159 Posts
I have not been inside a 2018 or later model, but all the big bore kits for models earlier than 2020 do include connecting rods. So I presume that only 2020 & beyond have the beefier rods right off the showroom floor.

A curious observation... the 2020 & 2021 big bore kits include cylinder heads. Bigger valves? More compression? Whatever kit you look at, whether its for 2016s or later they all have the same performance claims; 20% more horsepower and 15% more torque. Apparently the factory doesn't bother testing and/or reporting variations in performance from one model Indian or BBK to another.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
It sounds like we need a comparison test. Ride the same distance/time, in the same traffic conditions, on the same bike, with and without the CC. Both tests starting with the engine cold. Attach a thermometer to the cylinder head and jug and take readings.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Senior member / gold
6,941 Posts
It sounds like we need a comparison test. Ride the same distance/time, in the same traffic conditions, on the same bike, with and without the CC. Both tests starting with the engine cold. Attach a thermometer to the cylinder head and jug and take readings.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
An IR thermometer would work, as long as you use the exact same time, temperature and humidity conditions, rider, route, driving habits, and taken within a certain amount of seconds after dismounting. Do all that, and the results will be an accurate comparison. Possibly do that run 2 or 3 times each, average the results and compare. Nancy is not included though!!!

121 - 140 of 171 Posts