Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at multiple photos from back in the 40's and I've seen many a rider wearing the "Brando" cap or what I refer to as a leather Captains hat. I'm very curious as to how they kept those hats on their heads while riding?

Brando hat 1.jpg

Captains hat Ind.jpg

captains hat.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The majority of those riders who you are talking about...didn't do road trips. They just did their best to look cool while they rode around town. You can wear damn near anything when you are cruising around town at relatively low speed. The national highway system really went into high gear after WW2 after seeing the autobahn.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rareley did you run at speed's over 45 miles per hr. because of the roads! 2nd; When you buy a good hat, it has to pass the finger flip test (if you can nock it off with the flip of your finger's it don't fit) And 3rd the hat band was also a chin strap

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Don't forget the outfit with the hat, shirt and tie and the female passeger dressed the same.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,047 Posts
Howdy Folks,
Although I almost always wear a vented modular helmet with a flip-up chin-bar these days, I have ridden many miles, both in town and cross country, wearing, well, I call them forage caps. They need to fit close, snug, and not catch the wind. Mine have always had a band that doubles as a chin strap for extreme conditions. They were originally worn by cavalrymen and sailors in windy conditions.
--- Randall

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you look back you see most of the guys and gals who "went fast" wore leather avaitor type head covering. Some with goggles. It was sort of a hybrid between a avaitor from the waist up and a horseman from the waist down.. Riding Jhdhpurs pants with high boots were "de rigueur" for the day. Problem is I can't see my old man ('29 Indian) riding looking like that..

When I was a kid I wanted one of those "Captains hats" with the wheel and wings insignia on the front. The old man would have nothing of it. Never explained why…

mitch

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, makes perfect sense that they would stay on for low speed riding only.

Mitch, I've seen photos of riders wearing those leather aviator helmets & goggles from back then!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Howdy Folks,
Although I almost always wear a vented modular helmet with a flip-up chin-bar these days, I have ridden many miles, both in town and cross country, wearing, well, I call them forage caps. They need to fit close, snug, and not catch the wind. Mine have always had a band that doubles as a chin strap for extreme conditions. They were originally worn by cavalrymen and sailors in windy conditions.
--- Randall
Randall, can you post a picture of the "forage cap"?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,047 Posts
RC on bike.JPG The forage cap I wore for years. I made it myself from a blue wool Greek fisherman's cap with the leather bill and chinstrap from my old USAF dress blues hat. The one I wear now is a gray Confederate cavalry slouched forage cap with a flat top. The ones in the post above are a little gay for my taste...
--- Randall

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How cool is that!! I can see how the strap could be used under the chin to keep it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
No image showed up on that last pic you posted, Randall, but I agree about the previous post. I was gonna say that while Brando may be able to pull it off, most guys, including those in Shuje's post look like they should be singin' "YMCA". All that they're missing is the whip . . . (shudder)

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, no pic for me either.

LMAO at phoenix!!!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I actually have one of those things. It was a gift from a lady friend some years back. I think I wore it once (for her benefit). Shorty commandeered it a while ago.

Shorty.jpg

Attachments

·
Founding Member
431 Posts
Oh my gawd, flash backs to YMCA!

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually have one of those things. It was a gift from a lady friend some years back. I think I wore it once (for her benefit). Shorty commandeered it a while ago.

View attachment 2660
I have one too Slim but can't keep it on my head while riding.

Shorty looks pretty suave and debonair upon the Scout with his leather jacket & riding hat.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Randall...your Mom looks suave in that aviator's helmet. You're lucky to have her to share your motorcycle "addiction".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts