Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or do we?

I'm thinking about adding the OEM highway bars to the Scout. Has anyone else added them? Thoughts, complaints, ideas, installation issues?

TIA.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have them, they were easy enough to put on. I really like them once I got used to them and my peripheral vision stopped being distracted by them. I think they complete the look with saddlebags and a windshield/fairing, transforming the Scout into a mini-tourer.

A couple observations:
  1. I did have to loosen and rotate the banjo fitting on the rear brake master cylinder a bit, so that the fitting wasn't rubbing the highway bar.
  2. The outward / forward angle of the OEM bars doesn't really make them suitable for highway pegs.
  3. My feet aren't exactly big, but I've had times where I needed to downshift in a hurry, and my toe hit the highway bar on the way down and I mistook it for the shifter. I know it's operator error but it feels weird when it happens.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have them, they were easy enough to put on. I really like them once I got used to them and my peripheral vision stopped being distracted by them. I think they complete the look with saddlebags and a windshield/fairing, transforming the Scout into a mini-tourer.

A couple observations:
  1. I did have to loosen and rotate the banjo fitting on the rear brake master cylinder a bit, so that the fitting wasn't rubbing the highway bar.
  2. The outward / forward angle of the OEM bars doesn't really make them suitable for highway pegs.
  3. My feet aren't exactly big, but I've had times where I needed to downshift in a hurry, and my toe hit the highway bar on the way down and I mistook it for the shifter. I know it's operator error but it feels weird when it happens.
Why are they not suitable for highway pegs? Did you try them? I was hoping that the forward angle would actually help with the highway pegs since if they stuck straight out, my knees would probably be in my face. Has anyone else tried the highway pegs on the Scout?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Or do we?

I'm thinking about adding the OEM highway bars to the Scout. Has anyone else added them? Thoughts, complaints, ideas, installation issues?

TIA.
I have them. Dealer installed. They saved me from completely dropping my bike when I tipped it once. Totally worth it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the ones I have. I don’t have highway pegs on them (yet).
But I totally live the title of your thread! Very cine meta!
Thanks for the appreciation of the thread title. I try to make them humorous. If you check the threads I have opened they are mostly odd.

Kinda like me.

;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve got a set of eBay knock offs but came with no installation instructions. Is it as easy as removing the two bolds on brake bracket and shifter bracket, slipping highway bar between the frame and those brackets, and tighten with longer bolts? Anything else need to be loosened or detached in order to mount them? Also, any torque settings to be aware of? This is my first DIY of a motorcycle. Floorboards are next. Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
For the highway bars, you also have to put one bolt each side on the top mount, which goes into a threaded hole already on the inside of the frame, about halfway up. Other than that, you've got it. Not difficult at all.

If you install the OEM floorboards, the hardware is a bit finicky. It has this one-time-use retainer ring which slips into a groove on the pivot pin. You're supposed to chip the old one out and put a new one in the groove, but then if you want to remove them later, you have to buy more retainer rings from Indian. I took the pivot pin to the hardware store and bought appropriate-sized snap rings to fit down in the groove, which I can now take on and off at my leisure.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I put the Aeromach scout highway bars on mine and they come straight out and I personally prefer the look better. Not to mention they double as a foot rest for me to stretch out on longer rides and I installed cirius highway lights on them as well.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Scout Jade Green and Thunder Black
140 Posts
I had the OEM bars installed when I purchased my Scout. I was a new rider and everyone told me I would drop the bike so it made sense. (Better to scratch the bars than the tank).
Sure enough, new Scout owner, trying to check the oil (by the ridiculous protocol described in the owners manual) trying to hold the bike upright while leaning over to check the oil (“be sure to screw it all the way in Scout owners!”) while singeing my hand on the hot pipe aaaaaaaaand...it’s...OVER!!!!
Now I have to figure out how to cover those fine scratches on the chrome.
I wish I anticipated that and put some kind of protective sticker on the undersurface of that that corner of the bar or maybe wrapped the with a decorative leather cord or something replaceable (I highly recommend you consider that.) No one can see it but...
I...
know..
it’s...
there.
And it drives me crazy that there could be some imperfection in my baby.

Oh, and the highway bar came in handy when Mr. Crazy Squirrel charged my bike on a back road last Autumn. (He won’t be doing that again.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts