Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2016 Roadmaster (15k miles) for few years, while washing this weekend I noticed some rock chips in paint on the fender, it happens I know. Then I noticed the chrome trim has started pealing revealing grey plastic underneath, this does not seem right, shouldn't this be made of metal? Did my dealer put this after market crap on and trick me?

Attachments

·
Silver member
4,799 Posts
No, it has been plastic since the Gilroy era although those never peeled.

However, on the new bikes the trim seems to crinkle over time and eventually it can peel. It is like they picked a poor vendor to make those bits. Rumor was that Indian has a new supplier for the trims and it does appear to be true. And the parts numbers do support that. As an example, the old part number for the chrome was 5455078. The new part number is 5450761.

It is peel and stick so if your out of warranty you could order the trims and do it yourself. Or go to any local automotive store and see if you can match up the thickness and width, buy a roll and install it.

My front has been fine. I have replaced the back trim, but it has failed again. I must have got the same old trim as originally manufactured.

·
Registered
266 Posts
However, on the new bikes the trim seems to crinkle over time
I noticed the one on the left side of my rear fender was wrinkled when I got the bike home the day I bought it. It is mostly hidden by fringe, but I know it's there. Now after two months and 2000 miles the rest of them are showing some wrinkles on the edges. I've seen other new bikes in the dealership with wrinkly fender trim. It is the only complaint I have about my bike, but brand new bikes should not look like that.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had mine replaced twice with the same problem (on the rear) There is a new part for this but I have not installed it yet.

·
Rider
393 Posts
Got mine replaced under warranty and it started wrinkling while they were installing it. Going back to get it put on again while I wait. They did also do a re-flash on the ECU. Bike seems to run a little better. Never really ran bad, just seems a little smoother. Dealer said there was a slight change in injection timing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Is this handled under warranty?
From what I've heard, yes it is. However, they just put the same crap on there and it does it again. I've seen posts on this forum as far back as 2016 where the person was told by Polaris that they are getting better strips, but to this day the problem persists.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My 2017 Chief came brand new with the wrinkles in most of the trim.
My 2018 Vintage did, too and I've seen bikes sitting on the floor at the dealership with wrinkly trim.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
The trim Polaris is using is apparently molded flat and straight, when curved to fit the fender radius it is either gradually or immediately taking on the wrinkle effect. I don't really mind it, unless it starts flaking off like some have posted about... then it becomes tacky and a defect.

·
Bronze member
2,261 Posts
I had a piece of my front fender chrome trim get scuffed up in a parking lot. Went to Advance Auto, bought a $20 roll of 3/4 inch chrome trim, made by 3M. Replaced the scuffed trim and it looks like factory original. Hint...I initially heated the trim to make it more flexible, and it wrinkled when I installed it. I cut another piece and installed w/o heating and it went on fine.

·
Silver member
4,799 Posts
From what I've heard, yes it is. However, they just put the same crap on there and it does it again. I've seen posts on this forum as far back as 2016 where the person was told by Polaris that they are getting better strips, but to this day the problem persists.
Read my earlier posts. They have a new part number and have changed suppliers finally! However, the new part is not available to the dealers till mid November. So hang tight and you will get better trim.

They should have stayed with the Gilroy supplier. Those bikes are pushing 20 years old and never peeled!

·
Silver member
4,799 Posts
The trim Polaris is using is apparently molded flat and straight, when curved to fit the fender radius it is either gradually or immediately taking on the wrinkle effect. I don't really mind it, unless it starts flaking off like some have posted about... then it becomes tacky and a defect.
I'm not sure I understand your comment. I had my rear trims replaced under warranty. They were not flat and straight. They came in 4 differing pieces in 4 differing bags and were all radiused in the parts bags.

·
Silver member
4,569 Posts
Read my earlier posts. They have a new part number and have changed suppliers finally! However, the new part is not available to the dealers till mid November. So hang tight and you will get better trim.

They should have stayed with the Gilroy supplier. Those bikes are pushing 20 years old and never peeled!
Mine has had the front trim wrinkled since day one. My warranty runs out this month, so I might try to make a claim and wait until the new trim comes in for replacement.

·
Silver member
4,799 Posts
I'm thinking they will give you a new one no matter what. They know those trims are f...ed and it is a simple 5.00 part...

Reactions: CraigB1960

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your comment. I had my rear trims replaced under warranty. They were not flat and straight. They came in 4 differing pieces in 4 differing bags and were all radiused in the parts bags.
I have not seen the replacements, only various descriptions, so have probably misinterpreted how or why these things are fouled up as they are. Since they started out life on the bike with the wrinkling, I am only guessing that they are initially manufactured straight and are then formed into the curves to fit the fenders.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts