Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, why is the data display so bad? First off, it's barely readable in the bright daylight, even adjusted all the way up. Worse is when it gets hot and/or is exposed to direct sun, it is literally, unreadable. I stopped, adjusted my glasses, shaded it to see if it was just sun-glare, nothing. Then, later in the late afternoon to early evening, it just comes back on. I've asked around and everyone just says "that's what it does", so getting it replaced under warranty will not resolve this. Piss poor piece of equipment.

Does anyone make a replacement or aftermarket piece to replace just this? I really don't want to go to a full custom Dakota Digital type dash to remedy this...

·
Rider
1,009 Posts
What year and bike do u have?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Something up above is telling you to move to the Arctic Circle where those 6 months of darkness will make the display easier to read. I don't know what to say here boss..............

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,825 Posts
Sure don't have that problem with my RM. Mine changes from red to grey so I can see where that would get hard to see for some. You aren't wearing polarized sunglasses are ya? That will wash it out completely.

Reactions: Roadie

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ditto on not using polarized sunglasses. I thought my display was screwed up in the sun. I questioned my optometrist when ordering new prescription lenses, he said not to use polarized lenses. He also mentioned that aviators do not use polarized lenses because they will not be able to read liquid crystal display gauges.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What year and bike do u have?
2016 Chieftain

Something up above is telling you to move to the Arctic Circle where those 6 months of darkness will make the display easier to read. I don't know what to say here boss..............
Oh Hell No! I moved to Vegas because I despise the cold. I'd live without the center console completely if I had to to avoid the cold...

You aren't wearing polarized sunglasses are ya? That will wash it out completely.
Nope. Read Liquid Cristal Displays at work routinely, and took my glasses off to be sure. Had to squint a bit (getting old ya know) but I could read the fine print on the dash, but the display was still washed out.

I guess I'm going to go to the dealer and be "That Guy" who pisses and moans about it until they replace it under warranty and see if it gets any better. Keeping my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Mine just started acting up today, got about 1200 miles on her, was going from a green screen to a mix of green and red to a grayish blue screen then blank, already called Indian on it plus my volts started going up and down from 13.6 at a stop to up as high as 15.1 running never did that before even at a stop was always 14.3 or so.

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
Mine just started acting up today, got about 1200 miles on her, was going from a green screen to a mix of green and red to a grayish blue screen then blank, already called Indian on it plus my volts started going up and down from 13.6 at a stop to up as high as 15.1 running never did that before even at a stop was always 14.3 or so.
Don't ride until you get your voltage reg replaced.

It should never go above 14.7V.

If you ride with it as it is it will damage your battery and when it tanks it might allow enough voltage to take out your ECM.

There is a fuse on the reg output to the battery but if the 20 cent fuse doesn't blow fast enough . . . .

Murphy's Law says that won't happen while it is idling in your driveway but you will be a good ways away from home.

And this isn't a "Polaris" issue, it is an "infant mortality rate of semiconductors" issue since you have so few miles on the bike.

There is a small spike in failures when the parts are new but it tails off quickly and then on out to like 67 years or so.

These specs are a bit different for motorcycle regs since they do not control the output of the alternator like a car regulator does but they have to shunt the excess output to ground which creates heat and adds to the failure rates.

To minimize that is why it is mounted out in front of the engine in the coolest airflow.

HTH.

WD./

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Same thing started happening on my Springfield and when the mech looked at it the service manager told me not to ride it in fear of burning the wire harness up or the battery, YET WHEN I ASKED THE SAME SERVICE MANAGER ABOUT IT THIS ON MY CHIEFTAIN THIS PAST WEEKEND HE SAID, NOW GET READY, IT'S NORMAL!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same thing started happening on my Springfield and when the mech looked at it the service manager told me not to ride it in fear of burning the wire harness up or the battery, YET WHEN I ASKED THE SAME SERVICE MANAGER ABOUT IT THIS ON MY CHIEFTAIN THIS PAST WEEKEND HE SAID, NOW GET READY, IT'S NORMAL!!!
HAHahaha! I Smell Bull-Shite!... Just say'n...
Have that service manager show you in the service manual or a technical bulletin where exactly it says this is normal. Also, ask for it to be repaired under warranty, even if they don't or are not going to. This way if it does burn out your wiring harness you can prove due diligence in trying to fix/prevent the issue. Makes it much easier to get it fixed down the road when/if it goes out...

Reactions: Dog gone

·
Registered
125 Posts
Already have a case number, called Indian last night and e mailed pictures this morning to the service manager, hope I woke him up.
My friend be glad you're not color blind as I. You would have a problem. I try to ignore unless cloudy or dark it requires too much of my attention!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hard to see in sun but your post seems to say it dissapears. It's still there just hard to read.if it is gone you do have a warranty problem

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
Seriously, why is the data display so bad? First off, it's barely readable in the bright daylight, even adjusted all the way up. Worse is when it gets hot and/or is exposed to direct sun, it is literally, unreadable. I stopped, adjusted my glasses, shaded it to see if it was just sun-glare, nothing. Then, later in the late afternoon to early evening, it just comes back on. I've asked around and everyone just says "that's what it does", so getting it replaced under warranty will not resolve this. Piss poor piece of equipment.

Does anyone make a replacement or aftermarket piece to replace just this? I really don't want to go to a full custom Dakota Digital type dash to remedy this...
The display on the 2017 is completely different and much larger (with gps and other doodads)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
The center LCD panel display on your Springfield went dim. Come on guys, what's wrong with this picture?

·
Registered
186 Posts
For those with voltage issues. Check the tightness on your battery cables before going to the dealer. Might save you some cash and ed face

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
slewfoot, I know it's not the sun because yesterday on way to work 0430 it did the same and blanked out after fading then came back on, tomorrow I pull the seat and will check my battery connections

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Mikehell, I meant the voltage spiking up to 15.1, not my display screen, traded the Springfield in on my Chieftain Dark Horse, but I do see the confusion after reading my post.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yep, I know but was told they don't what to look for unless THEY SEE it happening, in other words they won't touch that problem unless they see it, so I'll do what I can and then one day when it goes out and stays that way I will take them by the hand and say, SEE! :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts