Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today,I discovered how to check,and clear the crankcase breather system,if needed.First of all,after removing the air filter cover and air filter itself,there are four screws around the center of the throttle body by the opening where the air enters it.They are T25 Torx screws.So you'll need a Torx 25 socket to remove em,if need be.Once removed, that cover will pop off so you can clean any oil and or debris which may have collected in that area.If the area is clear,just leave it aloneThen ,in the top left hand corner of it,there is a vent tube.This is the breather tube and runs into the crankcase.To clear or check it,[as it's possible it could get clogged] simply rermove the oil dip stick,then using an air hose [with MINIMAL air pressure like 5-10 PSI ] blow down thru that breather hose and see if you can feel air coming up thru the oil dip stick hole.If so,you breather system is clear.If not,then your system is clogged and the problem is more then likely in the breather hose itself.If so,alittle more air pressure should break the blockage free and the oil should then be changed to get that crap out of it.Then put everything back together and ya should be good to go.Very simple job to do,well, atleast for you guys!! Me?? Well I'm just not too bright,but I try!! :rolleyes: :unsure::)

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
It's worth pointing out that although it vents the crankcase it doesn't run down into the crankcase. It enters the top of the motor into the rocker cover. The crankcase is open to that area through the pushrod tubes.

I've never heard of the vent tube getting clogged as it only carries oil vapour, and in colder weather some emulsified water vapour until the motor heats up, not any foreign stuff that could contaminate the oil.

Blowing air into the tube seems a neat trick, but there is a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve in the circuit with the function of preventing positive pressure from the vent side. The vent system clears crankcase vapour by using negative intake pressure. However, it also has to stop positive pressure, such as from a turbo-charger, from adding pressure to the crankcase/rocker volume and causing seal or gasket damage. Forcing air down the tube should close the valve, and increasing that pressure to get some air flow can damage the valve.

This is one idea that needs a re-think.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Please note I said to use LOW PRESSUIRE.I did NOT say to blast it or use high pressure,only alittle more IF that vent tube was discovered to be clogged which could happen if the oil was never changed,changed cold,or changed at too long of an interval.I mean"GRANTED,since I'm kind of new to this business, [only been doin it for 65 years ],I'm not a total idiot! ;) Of course the wife would disagree with that statement,:rolleyes:yet if anything goes wrong with her four wheeler,guess who she comes too??:unsure::eek::whistle: And it aint't the stealership or local garage down the street.lol lol lol DUH!!!

·
Rider
944 Posts
If not,then your system is clogged and the problem is more then likely in the breather hose itself.If so,alittle more air pressure should break the blockage free and the oil should then be changed to get that crap out of it.Then put everything back together and ya should be good to go.Very simple job to do,well, atleast for you guys!! Me?? Well I'm just not too bright,but I try!! :rolleyes: :unsure::)
If it's in the breather hose then simply remove the hose by pulling it off the steel tubing in the head and clear the clog and replace it back on to the steel tube. This will also save you from adding whatever the clog is made of from reentering the engine. On another note, if it's clogged you may want to figure out what it is and why its there because in my years as a mechanic you have another issue that needs attention.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Experience is a great teacher and has taught me a lot over the years.And I agree with you.But why make more work for yourself then ya have to?? There was no problem in my case. I performed this simple test to check it,and everything was good,so I just thought I'd pass the info along so others could check theirs'.Now had I found something wrong,then I'd go thru extremes and fix it.But I didn't have to!! And I do stay on top of things,BELIEVE ME!!! Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI: Something I forgot to mention in my above post: In my SM,there was a little foot note I noticed [when checking out the breather system schematic], that you guys may or may not be interested in.
And It said:
If you are experiencing loud tappet or metallic sounds [like marbles rolling around] in the top end of the motor when holding the throttle at a steady rpm,or under light acceleration,especially when cold or first started,the factory is claiming that there could be some air still trapped in the lifters.So what they are recommending the techs at the stealerships to do, was start the bike, hold the motors' rpm at a steady fast idle ,around 1200 rpm or so, for a SOLID TEN MINUTES.And what they are claiming this will do is bleed off any air trapped in there so it will be replaced with oil,hence ya won't get that marbles rollin around sound.Well,since mine also fit that description,and naturally,being the nit wit that I am, :eek: I performed this little task and guess what?? My motor is now even quieter,especially when cold and idling,but very quiet while traveling down the road which has made me an even "HAPPIER CAMPER" !!!
So try it,don't try it!! It's up to you!!! I'm just passin along what I read in the SM!!! Dummy Dave!!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've got the same exact "marbles" sound at certain RPM ranges once I switched over to a aftermarket A/C. Tried running a vent breather like others have suggested, still hear the sound. I may try the 1200RPM trick.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After doing that,take her out for alittle ride,which is what I did.At first,it may or maynot still be alittle on the noisy side.But after a few miles,she should start running quieter and quieter and should stay that way,atleast that's what mine did and haven't heard the noise I was previously hearing !! And then,after she warms up,mine runs a ,lot quieter compared to before I performed this little trick.So there must have been something to it?? Let me know how ya make out?? Thanks!! Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regarding the "marbles rollin around in the top end of the motor sound" [valve train noise] which I had recently posted about on here:
I was at the dealership this AM and mentioned it to the service manager, and the procedure I read about it in the SM to address it,which I followed,and how it turned out.So he looked for it in his book but couldn't find it.SO, as soon as I got back home,I immediately opened my SM again to see if I could find it again,which I did,but had to look under "engine noises",then under "valve train",and "WOLA" ,there it was at the bottom of page 3.68 under 'ENGINE and VALVE TRAIN noise.But that was NOT where I saw it originally as it was also mentioned else wheres in the SM.But what it did do was confirm what I had suspected ,hence the reason I mentioned it to the service manager to use when dealing with customers complaining about the same noise,and he thanked me for the tip.
So again,use this info or don't use this info. [if ya have the problem which I suspect atleast some of ya ,do] Dave!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts