Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 70,000 K's I have a crack that runs up from the middle of my back guard to my tail light, which has now become a split. H
as anyone else had this problem on a 2018 Scout.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Rear fender crack message

That link tells about the two others I also knew of. Original poster was able to get a replacement from Indian, was a ‘16 model year.
Exact same placement of the crack. I looked at mine and found nothing, only that it seems to align with one side of the cut out for the tail light.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
What the..... I've never seen this before.. and I have to admit,, it pisses ME off and I don't have that... yet..
I'll be very angry if it does.. keep us posted on what found.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
That is a stress crack. A sharp point in the rear light cut out concentrates stress and vibration does its thing over time.

Easy enough to prevent. Either find and smooth the point of stress, or reinforce the lower edge of the fender.

These bikes are still very new models and stuff like this will crop up.

Yes, I have been pretty aggravated with badly rusted fenders on a $24,000 machine.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
That is a stress crack. A sharp point in the rear light cut out concentrates stress and vibration does its thing over time.

Easy enough to prevent. Either find and smooth the point of stress, or reinforce the lower edge of the fender.

These bikes are still very new models and stuff like this will crop up.

Yes, I have been pretty aggravated with badly rusted fenders on a $24,000 machine.
I was wondering if it was from a ruff edge on a drilled hole. I can tell Ya that the Scout wags it's tail like a happy dog. That whole assembly wiggles like hell off that fender.
When I get my Scout back I'll be inspecting and smoothing out burrs or rough edges..
That's an expensive issue right there.. that's significant body work or new fender . Neither will I be happy with. Especially if it can be prevented by some free finishing work..

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts

here’s the place you’re dealing with, it’s where the tail light cut out is pressed into the fender. I purposely photographed the right side where the cracks are showing.

Reactions: Hatt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks that yes thats what has happened. Im hoping I can get a replacement otherwise it will be a repair job and re-paint. Appreciate your input hopefully I will have some good news from Indian as according to the link you sent me they have replaced them before.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It looks like the licence plate is cracked at the screw holes too. Maybe it's flapping like a whales tail when you ride along at speed?That might have caused the fender crack
Or made it worse. Is the New Zealand plate a lot bigger than the US plate?
The car ones are

·
Registered
938 Posts
It looks like the licence plate is cracked at the screw holes too. Maybe it's flapping like a whales tail when you ride along at speed?That might have caused the fender crack
Or made it worse. Is the New Zealand plate a lot bigger than the US plate?
The car ones are
My US plate is cracked horizontally on both sides, probably due to the design of the backing mount. It just vibrates a lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep the plate started to crack after about 3 weeks, this plate is my original and has been on 4 other bikes with no problems. I had to rivet a backing to it and this has stopped further cracking but I will need a new plate soon. Our plates are 260mm x 100mm (4" x 10").

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After showing my dealer the crack in my guard 4 months ago there didn't seem to be an go-forward on the problem. After approaching another dealer the problem has been solved and Indian have agreed to replacing my guard. All I can say is that I appreciate the efforts by the second dealer to act on my behalf, even though he didn't sell me the bike, and the off course the support from Indian to replace the guard.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I’ve had the same issue, it’s caused by the weight of the chrome (mine was chrome) number plate surround being too heavy and vibrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I’ve had the same issue, it’s caused by the weight of the chrome (mine was chrome) number plate surround being too heavy and vibrating.
Don’t say that!
Couple weeks ago I added a chromed steel frame with its own backing plate.

My pre-owned Scout didn’t have the backing plate and my first license plate cracked apart at the mounting holes.
I added my own metal plate and it cured the problem.
No signs of a crack on the fender after 3 1/2 years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had to rivet an aluminium plate to the back of my plate after cracking started about 4 months from new. There may be a bit of a design flaw in the guard as there is no rounded edge to give it strength. I have done over 75,000 K's on the bike since new and our roads are sometimes not that good. I have had the scout just over two years from new and really do like the bike. I have had clutch cable, switch cluster, speedo, fuel pump, and Guard replaced under warranty, and now I have the bike in the shop getting a new Stator, (just out of warranty).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts