Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've bought my Scout, I've only had the fuel indicator light come on three times. All three times, when I came to a stop at a light/sign, it stalled. My light had just come on each time. Took a minute to get started but then ran until I got to a gas station which was within a mile. After filling the tank, we saw I was not empty. I had at least .3 gallons left.

Second issue not as troubling and has only happened twice. After riding a long day, there is a very high pitch noise coming from my bike.

Any ideas on either issue?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Since I've bought my Scout, I've only had the fuel indicator light come on three times. All three times, when I came to a stop at a light/sign, it stalled. My light had just come on each time. Took a minute to get started but then ran until I got to a gas station which was within a mile. After filling the tank, we saw I was not empty. I had at least .3 gallons left.

Second issue not as troubling and has only happened twice. After riding a long day, there is a very high pitch noise coming from my bike.

1. You probably ran the bike out of fuel. It only holds 3.3 gallons, and fuel warning lights are not instruments of precision. When it comes on it is time to refuel at the next gas station. The fact that it stalled while coming to a stop tells me that the small amount of remaining fuel sloshed, uncovering the sensor and / or pickup so the bike protected itself by shutting off before the pump sucked in air.

2. High pitch whistling noise when bike is off is likely air pressure venting from the gas tank. If you refuel the bike on a hot day or with a hot motor it will heat up the fuel. Fuel expands when hot, so it pushes air out as its volume increases. This is normal for any fuel tank on any vehicle, but the Scout has a vent opening that sounds like a whistle:

I carry around a small bottle of spare fuel in my saddlebag for just this reason. Most of that fuel tank actually houses the air filter housing, so Scout fuel capacity is infamously stingy. Best thing to do is reset the trip odo at each fill-up (after engine break-in) to get an idea what kind of range you have...this way you know when to start looking down at your light and / or a gas station. Good luck to you!

Reactions: LadyRider

·
Registered
3,448 Posts

1. You probably ran the bike out of fuel. It only holds 3.3 gallons, and fuel warning lights are not instruments of precision. When it comes on it is time to refuel at the next gas station. The fact that it stalled while coming to a stop tells me that the small amount of remaining fuel sloshed, uncovering the sensor and / or pickup so the bike protected itself by shutting off before the pump sucked in air.

2. High pitch whistling noise when bike is off is likely air pressure venting from the gas tank. If you refuel the bike on a hot day or with a hot motor it will heat up the fuel. Fuel expands when hot, so it pushes air out as its volume increases. This is normal for any fuel tank on any vehicle, but the Scout has a vent opening that sounds like a whistle:

I carry around a small bottle of spare fuel in my saddlebag for just this reason. Most of that fuel tank actually houses the air filter housing, so Scout fuel capacity is infamously stingy. Best thing to do is reset the trip odo at each fill-up (after engine break-in) to get an idea what kind of range you have...this way you know when to start looking down at your light and / or a gas station. Good luck to you!
@LadyRider, I'm thinking your fuel light should not come on that late. Each time mine came on a subsequent fill-up is usually around 2.2 - 2.5.

@ShOOSter! is spot on with this with the whistle. I had a 2015 with no whistle and now a 2016 that has the whistle. I'm thinking of fixing it this winter. It's the same problem that some Victorys have had. There's a fix for it but it's fairly involved.

·
Registered
892 Posts
@LadyRider, I'm thinking your fuel light should not come on that late. Each time mine came on a subsequent fill-up is usually around 2.2 - 2.5.

@ShOOSter! is spot on with this with the whistle. I had a 2015 with no whistle and now a 2016 that has the whistle. I'm thinking of fixing it this winter. It's the same problem that some Victorys have had. There's a fix for it but it's fairly involved.
I'm thinking it's also possible she didn't look down until too late. If fuel level sensing defects were common you'd think someone else would have experienced it and posted by now. If it's defective, it will be the first I've heard of such a problem...but anything is possible for sure.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There has been plenty of posts with fuel light not coming on early enough... I suggest using your trip meter as suggested earlier.
The whistling gas cap is a common occurenve as well.
Ask your dealer about the fuel light at your next service, its hardly critical.

·
Registered
892 Posts
There has been plenty of posts with fuel light not coming on early enough... I suggest using your trip meter as suggested earlier.
The whistling gas cap is a common occurenve as well.
Ask your dealer about the fuel light at your next service, its hardly critical.
Glad you mentioned the fuel light issue...I was too lazy to research and tend to use the odo myself...old habit.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts

@LadyRider - the high pitched noise is coming from the gas cap bleed system - they are defective (just make noise) and Polaris is too lazy to fix a problem that existed on the same gas cap in the Victory lineup. Gas indicator - check your trip odometer and fuel up at 88-100 miles.

·
Banned
922 Posts

How are the back brakes?...they were practically non existent on first run models.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

I use the odo religiously. It was showing 120 miles. We normally fill up somewhere around 100 miles taking in account our speed. We did push it a bit further those three times. This last time it happened is when we put in 3 gallons. The other two times, it only took 2.5 and 2.7 gallons. I was watching for the light each time knowing I was over 115 miles. According to the manual, I should have half a gallon-ish when the light comes on? Oh...my average has been 50 miles per gallon which seems to be the same as the other Scout riders I've talked to.

Will look for the repair for the whistling...but it's great to know I only have to open the gas tank to shut it off!!

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Thanks guys!

I use the odo religiously. It was showing 120 miles. We normally fill up somewhere around 100 miles taking in account our speed. We did push it a bit further those three times. This last time it happened is when we put in 3 gallons. The other two times, it only took 2.5 and 2.7 gallons. I was watching for the light each time knowing I was over 115 miles. According to the manual, I should have half a gallon-ish when the light comes on? Oh...my average has been 50 miles per gallon which seems to be the same as the other Scout riders I've talked to.

Will look for the repair for the whistling...but it's great to know I only have to open the gas tank to shut it off!!
We ran a gas milage thread a while back and whiles some folks got more and some less the average MPG was aprox 44. If your a spirited rider some dropped as low as 38 mpg. Since running out of gas is a major pain, have the ride planned so you don't push much past that 100 miles mark before you refill or carry a spare gas specific bottle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How are the back brakes?...they were practically non existent on first run models.
No problems with my brakes at all. They work great. Even my ABS. I've unfortunately had the need to try that out as well.

I have 5756 miles as of yesterday. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts

I have the exact same defect(s). The engine dies at idle when I get down to the last 1 gallon, but runs fine at speed. I don't think you just ran the tank dry. If that were true, it wouldn't run at all.

I'm considering taking mine in under warranty, but I don't have any faith on my local dealership.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Whistling, no big deal, even your car does it. And, in the Southwest it's common. The difference is the Scout is noisier than most, still no big deal. Some find it annoying and want a solution. Some put a slice in the rubber piece covering the vapor exhaust. this does open it up and decreases the whistle. but, this is a pressurized system, can that harm the system?

The gas situation: that is a bit more difficult to answer. Hot and cold the gas expands and contracts, it's all basic chemistry. A float in a gas tank does not read fumes, it reads fluid. if there are more fumes than fluid, boom you have a lower fuel level. There isn't a big difference in EFI systems though and 2.5 to 3 gallons is a bit of a difference that couldn't be explained by vapor. So, possibly you didn't notice the light, or like another mentioned it was sloshing and had a misread. Lastly, if it happens again, check the fuel sensor. the rest of this post is speculation if you see otherwise.

PS- I am trying to trademark that whistling is the Scout orgasming after being ridden.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the exact same defect(s). The engine dies at idle when I get down to the last 1 gallon, but runs fine at speed. I don't think you just ran the tank dry. If that were true, it wouldn't run at all.

I'm considering taking mine in under warranty, but I don't have any faith on my local dealership.
Sorry to read that! I don't think that is what's happening here, although at first I thought maybe it was. The first two times it shut off when it got to idling. The third time it shut off way before, where I had to coast into the stop after coming off the freeway. I had not slowed down enough to get to idle.

Whistling, no big deal, even your car does it. And, in the Southwest it's common. The difference is the Scout is noisier than most, still no big deal. Some find it annoying and want a solution. Some put a slice in the rubber piece covering the vapor exhaust. this does open it up and decreases the whistle. but, this is a pressurized system, can that harm the system?

The gas situation: that is a bit more difficult to answer. Hot and cold the gas expands and contracts, it's all basic chemistry. A float in a gas tank does not read fumes, it reads fluid. if there are more fumes than fluid, boom you have a lower fuel level. There isn't a big difference in EFI systems though and 2.5 to 3 gallons is a bit of a difference that couldn't be explained by vapor. So, possibly you didn't notice the light, or like another mentioned it was sloshing and had a misread. Lastly, if it happens again, check the fuel sensor. the rest of this post is speculation if you see otherwise.

PS- I am trying to trademark that whistling is the Scout orgasming after being ridden.
I will never hear the whistling the same again! :rolleyes: lol
Chris says he's not worried about it and if it bothers me that much just open the tank. :confused: Oh well...he's the mechanic and I'm at his mercy. :)

So last night, we rode until the light came on again. We were 10 miles from the gas station out in the boonies. (Chris did have more gas on his bike if needed.) Chris was leading and I let him know the light was on. All was well while riding at 60/65 (the speed limit out there). The difference this time is we slowed down at the stop signs more slowly...starting to slow down sooner. There were four stops to be made before getting to the station and I had no troubles. We took the same approach at each stop. We put in 2.8 gallons.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, on another thread about a bike not starting, this secondary question came up....

I have a 2016 scout and it wont start with the clutch engaged, it did at first but now thats a no go. When in neutral i have to let the fuel injectors cycle a couple times then it will fire up. Anyo e out there ha e these issues?
Mine has never started while in gear. I've always had my bike in neutral while starting. I've never thought to question it. I guess I should!
I went out to double check I wasn't going crazy. Got on bike, put kick stand up, turned key on, checked in neutral where I left it, put in 1st, emergency switch on, attempted to start bike...it wouldn't start. Nothing. Like I didn't try anything. Put bike in neutral, started right up.

I assumed that the Scout would only start in neutral as a safety feature?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks guys!
gascap fix
This is a real easy fix for whistle... did it about a year ago and no problem since. Sounds a lot harder than it is... took less than an hour...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You may have a faulty safety clutch switch, more than likely. Does your bike clang into gear?
Yes, occasionally. My husband did a quick checked and it's definitely the clutch switch. I called them for an appointment. We go tomorrow for our IMRG meeting and they'll check it then. So glad you mentioned this!! I was not connecting the dots on this! [bag]

Reactions: jussik
1 - 18 of 18 Posts