·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
150 Posts
Short answer - yes

There are a few things to consider to make them work though. I put a set of eBay hard bags on a Chief Vintage.

First the spools. The quick release latches that come with those bags are for the larger spools, the Chief has smaller spools. And the leather bags have shorter latch pins that won’t work for the hard bags. So if you want to use the quick release latches you either have to buy the larger spools from Springfield/Chieftain/Roadmaster or you can modify the latches that come with it to work with smaller spools. If you already have a passenger backrest then buying the larger spools means buying a different backrest too. Or you can buy bolt on spools and get them in whichever size you want. If you don’t already have backrest or any other attachment and if ya have leather bags you still wanna keep and use then I would actually suggest getting the new spools from 2019 bikes. 2019 has bolt on spools, and they all went to the larger spools size so no more small spools. So then if you want to change back to leather bags just unbolt hard bags and bolt on leathers, no spool changing. If you do already have a backrest then I’d suggest getting the bolt on spools from Osprey in the smaller spool size. Then bags bolt right up and you don’t have to worry about getting a new backrest to fit larger spools.

Once you’ve sorted spools, there’s the exhaust mounting tabs to consider. You can swap your exhaust pipes for ones made for Springfield/Chieftain/Roadmaster and then the tabs are built on top of the exhaust for the bags to rest on. I’ve also seen others that simply extended the footrests on the bottom of the bag so they rest on the exhaust without changing the pipes. So either way works.

And one more thing to consider is the electronic locks. If you want to use the electric locks you either have to get a key fob from a hard bag model bike(the standard buttonless keyfob does actually have an internal button to lock bags but no button to unlock) or buy the lock switch that mounts on the gas tank console. Or both if you want. If just carrying the extra keys for the bags and not using the electric locks at all doesn’t bother you then no worries there.

Also for the eBay bags, they don’t come with a power plug for the right bag, but the wires and mount hole for it are there. So if you want to buy a power plug to put in it you can. I went with just a usb plug receptacle instead of a cigarette lighter type one. Also with the wiring mentioned, the eBay bags I got had the same wiring and connector on both bags, which only work for the right hand bag. Mine did come with the right connector for the left, just had to cut the wires and splice on the connector they gave me. The right side is a 4wire connector, the left only used a 2 wire one. The extra 2 wires being for the power plug on the right side which isn’t on left. But again, this only matters if you wish to use the electronic locks for the bags. Keys work without power so don’t have to wire them up at all if you don’t want to.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Short answer - yes

There are a few things to consider to make them work though. I put a set of eBay hard bags on a Chief Vintage.

First the spools. The quick release latches that come with those bags are for the larger spools, the Chief has smaller spools. And the leather bags have shorter latch pins that won’t work for the hard bags. So if you want to use the quick release latches you either have to buy the larger spools from Springfield/Chieftain/Roadmaster or you can modify the latches that come with it to work with smaller spools. If you already have a passenger backrest then buying the larger spools means buying a different backrest too. Or you can buy bolt on spools and get them in whichever size you want. If you don’t already have backrest or any other attachment and if ya have leather bags you still wanna keep and use then I would actually suggest getting the new spools from 2019 bikes. 2019 has bolt on spools, and they all went to the larger spools size so no more small spools. So then if you want to change back to leather bags just unbolt hard bags and bolt on leathers, no spool changing. If you do already have a backrest then I’d suggest getting the bolt on spools from Osprey in the smaller spool size. Then bags bolt right up and you don’t have to worry about getting a new backrest to fit larger spools.

Once you’ve sorted spools, there’s the exhaust mounting tabs to consider. You can swap your exhaust pipes for ones made for Springfield/Chieftain/Roadmaster and then the tabs are built on top of the exhaust for the bags to rest on. I’ve also seen others that simply extended the footrests on the bottom of the bag so they rest on the exhaust without changing the pipes. So either way works.

And one more thing to consider is the electronic locks. If you want to use the electric locks you either have to get a key fob from a hard bag model bike(the standard buttonless keyfob does actually have an internal button to lock bags but no button to unlock) or buy the lock switch that mounts on the gas tank console. Or both if you want. If just carrying the extra keys for the bags and not using the electric locks at all doesn’t bother you then no worries there.

Also for the eBay bags, they don’t come with a power plug for the right bag, but the wires and mount hole for it are there. So if you want to buy a power plug to put in it you can. I went with just a usb plug receptacle instead of a cigarette lighter type one. Also with the wiring mentioned, the eBay bags I got had the same wiring and connector on both bags, which only work for the right hand bag. Mine did come with the right connector for the left, just had to cut the wires and splice on the connector they gave me. The right side is a 4wire connector, the left only used a 2 wire one. The extra 2 wires being for the power plug on the right side which isn’t on left. But again, this only matters if you wish to use the electronic locks for the bags. Keys work without power so don’t have to wire them up at all if you don’t want to.
. CookisCK sums everything up perfectly.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
. CookisCK sums everything up perfectly.....
So if I have a get a 2015 or later model I'd just have to change the spools to fit the hard bags if I don't want to switch between leather and hard bags. Either new exhaust pipes or extensions for support on the hard bags, Is that correct? I'm a little unclear on the automatic locking device. I understand changing the console. Can you buy a FOB and have it programmed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts