Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story was in the news this morning and while I'm not trying to stir up a controversy, when watching it my first thought was if this protest will expand to Indian Motorcycles. You be the Judge. Here's the story:

<iframe src='http://www.youtube.com/embed/3Toz-bPDI_Q?wmode=transparent' frameborder='0' width='550' height='438'></iframe>

As a point of comparison, here's the Washington Redskins logo:

And here's the Indian Motorcycle War Bonnet logo:

Allow me to state than while opinions on this topic are welcomed, any posts that are deemed to be prejudicial will be moderated. Please be fair in your comments.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2 said:
This story was in the news this morning and while I'm not trying to stir up a controversy, when watching it my first thought was if this protest will expand to Indian Motorcycles. You be the Judge. Here's the story:

<iframe src='http://www.youtube.com/embed/3Toz-bPDI_Q?wmode=transparent' frameborder='0' width='550' height='438'></iframe>

Allow me to state than while opinions on this topic are welcomed, any posts that are deemed to be prejudicial will be moderated. Please be fair in your comments.
Last I heard, It was not a '*******' motorcycle. The name 'Indian' is not derogatory, no differant than say 'Vikings', 'Irish'.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think so. I have many Native American friends, and among them, they have no problem with Indian Motorcycles or the War Bonnet logo. They view it as a source of pride. However, they also admit they dont really consider themselves 'Indian', but rather Native American. With regard to the Football Team, they don't mind it either - however they can understand why others may be offended because it directly referrs to the 'color of their skin', rather than a general characture. To them, it's really no different than other sports teams with names like The Cowboys, The Vikinings, The Fighting Irish, etc... or other vehicles such as the Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dodge Dakota Trucks.

Also found this article from back in June where Steve Menneto addresses the issue:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/06/24/will-indian-chief-motorcycle-offend-some-riders/

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These protests are nothing new but the reality is many, if not most sports teams that leverage a Native American nickname have gone the extra mile and gotten support by the local Indian tribal councils. One thing is for sure, there is no consistancy to the protests as various tribes have differing opinions.
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-native-americans-really-feel-nickname-12137723.html?cat=9
Polaris did it's homework as well as evidenced by Steve Menneto's comments to the WSJ
The &ldquo;Indian Chief&rdquo; moniker could be more of a problem. With sports teams like the NFL&rsquo;s Washington Redskins under constant pressure to drop their offensive names and stop using disparaging images of native people, is the motorcycle company worried about similar backlash?
No, said Steve Menneto, VP of motorcycles for, Polaris. &ldquo;We were concerned about that, but we got a positive reaction when we discussed it with a range of Native American groups,&rdquo; Menneto said. &ldquo;We did our homework.&rdquo;
So, while it's possible some may try and use the resurgence as a platform for their own PC agenda I don't think it will take hold nationwide.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then when don't people get mad over St Paddy day.... Sorry I have some Indian in me...They are not meaning it as a negative... Just saying...

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can bet your ass on it. They may not protest this year or next, Indian Motorcycles are not yet popular enough. But as soon as they are they pub hounds will be looking for a new target. Notice in the video their faux outrage isn't just aimed at the use of the word '*******'. It's aimed at 'race based names and logo's'. Indian Motorcycles is a race based name as is it's logo. As are many of this country's states and cities. These people are like beggars. If you give them a little of what they're asking for they'll never leave you alone.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm of aboriginal decent, yes, i have my status card, and i get tax free at the POS. I can sort of understand the '*******', as im sure if there was a team called the 'Neggros' or 'Dark Skins', it would definitely cause an up roar. But, that said, im not offended by '*******' or any of the other native terms used as team names and or logos. I see it as a sence of pride, and I believe thats how they were intended to begin with, so i don't see it as a problem, and i don't get all the hype that is going on. People just want and need something to complain about.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indian is too generic too be very offensive. And the war bonnet isn't a caricature of a native, compared to chief wahoo in cleveland, another reason y I think Cleveland is a shithole. Redskins ain't honourimg no one but the racists who keep it alive. Indian is actually a nice joke on the guy who thought he landed on India. We natives love bringing that up.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BHS is a serious thing that is spreading like the plague. BHS: Acronym for butt-hurt syndrome is a sickness that takes over the brain of it's hosts and causes them to get all wound up about things that in now way affect them or those around them. Often time the 'offended' party has no idea what's going on or doesn't even care. Usually results in demands for apologies or a complete change for something that is totally not their business and this act results in a direct transmission to any host weak enough mentally and infects them as well.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some folks will be offended no matter what the issue. Some folks look for a reason to be offended. I heard a radio commentator once refer to us as The United States of the Offended. Seems appropriate these days.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The University of Illinois is not allowed to use the Chief Illiniwek logo or have the Chief represent the school, while the Florida State Seminoles are allowed to use the Seminole Indian on the horse at football games. The main reasons why one is unacceptable and one is acceptable is that Florida State paid the Seminole tribe a crap load of money, whereas the Illiniwek tribe isn't around. The other tribes made a major issue of 'racism' because back in the 40's someone made the mistake of using a Souix Indian war dress instead of the Illiniwek war dress....and they didn't get any money out of it.
Moral of the story: make sure you pay people lots of money to keep your namesake. Money seems to pay for hypocrisy.
Personally, if I was a native American Indian I would be pissed about the Redskins name because it truly is no different than using the N-word, or blackskins, or yellowskins,...etc.....but I would argue the the Indian motorcycle company is not racist in any possible way. As was mentioned above, it is no different than saying Irish or Vikings or Americans!
JMHO...fire away.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's some fun facts. In the language of the Choctaw 'Okla' translates to 'people' and 'humma' translates to 'red'. Oklahoma is a Native American term that means 'red people'.
Here is a list of major sports franchises whose names or logos are fully or partially race based:
Minnesota Vikings
Indianapolis Colts
Tennessee Titans
Miami Dolphins
Washington Redskins
Kansas City Chiefs
Miami Heat
Boston Celtics
Oklahoma City Thunder
Indiana Pacers
Atlanta Braves
Cleveland Indians
Kansas City Royals
Toronto Blue Jays

As a D.C. native I've followed the Redskins for 47 years. Never once thought the term was derogatory. But, I've been white my whole life. I've never thought it derogatory to be identified as white, or of Irish decent either. I once gave my Asian girlfriend a necklace that was made of gold and silver. She said it reminded her of us, white and yellow. If the team were named 'Savages' with an Indian head logo, that would be derogatory. Red is just a color, no actual derogatory connotations associated with it.

For most of the 47 years I've followed the team they've been mired in mediocrity. When the team sucks they're not in the headlines and the numbers of 'protesters' is/ was minimal. But get a superstar QB and make the playoffs...all of a sudden the team is in the headlines so out come the 'offended'. The list above points out just how ludicrous the concept is of removing anything race based form a name or logo. What are we going to name Miami, Indiana, Oklahoma? If ANYTHING race based in a name is offensive where are the protestors at for Vikings, Celtics, and Notre Dame games?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In San Diego and Southern Nevada (Las Vegas area), I attended numerous Native-American 'Pow-Wows' where tribal customs, ceremonies and dancing took place, with items of dress and handcrafts sold. In fact, several tribal members rode Indian motorcycles all decked-out with fringed leather and such. During discussions they told me that they were happy the bike were called 'Indians' and thought they were really cool. There was even a club of Indian riders in San Diego - all of whom were Native-Americans. From what I was told, no one associated with these groups said anything negative about the brand name. 'Redskins,' on the other hand, is clearly a derogatory term historically used by whites and Native-Americans do not like hearing it. It's an old outdated description used on early TV as well to stereotype. Out of deference to Native-Americans, I would change the ******* name.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some people need a hobby, Maybe buy an Indian Motorcycle and go for a ride!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2 said:

Andy said 'You be the Judge'. Nice referene to a Victory motorcycle. How has no one else noticed that?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would think that sometimes it depends on how the image is portrayed. With respect or derision.

I do, however, think the name 'Redskins' is a racial epithet.

found this:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMHO its time to tell these kind of people and to go back to their miserable little lives and grow up.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
4902 said:
Here's some fun facts. In the language of the Choctaw 'Okla' translates to 'people' and 'humma' translates to 'red'. Oklahoma is a Native American term that means 'red people'.

It should also be pointed out that the Choctaw didn't call themselves that name.

<span>Oklahoma is a word that was made up by the native American missionary Allen Wright.
He combined two Choctaw words, 'ukla' meaning person and 'hum&aacute;' meaning red to form the word that first appears in a 1866 Choctaw treaty.

Oklahoma means 'red person' because some White religious racist thought it up.

</span>

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4360 said:
It should also be pointed out that the Choctaw didn't call themselves that name.

<span>Oklahoma is a word that was made up by the native American missionary Allen Wright.
He combined two Choctaw words, 'ukla' meaning person and 'hum&aacute;' meaning red to form the word that first appears in a 1866 Choctaw treaty.

Oklahoma means 'red person' because some White religious nutcase thought it up.

</span>

How do you know he was a nutcase? Did you know him? Just curious. Or do you classify everyone that thinks differently than you a nutcase? :) Have a great day Biggie!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
5411 said:
How do you know he was a nutcase? Did you know him? Just curious. Or do you classify everyone that thinks differently than you a nutcase? :) Have a great day Biggie!
Fixed it.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts