Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how much I can expect to pay Indian to remove and replace the rear tire on my 2018 Chief Vintage? I have a new tire, so just their labor? Thanks!

·
Rider
360 Posts
Prices can vary wildly between dealerships. My dealer wanted a thousand dollars, tires and labor, to replace front and back. And a dealer might not appreciate someone bringing their own tire in cause they make good money on tire markup also, so they might get you extra for that to make up some of the difference. The rear tire is a little tougher to do than the front. Having said all this, it wouldn't be unusual for a dealer to charge $200 for labor only. PLUS, many people will want to change the tube also, and an Indian tube can cost as much as $80. I now do all my own tire changing. I buy two tires online (Jakes Tires) which cost me $420 for both. I also change the tube every other time and that costs me another $40 (both).(aftermarket) Your best bet is to find a good independent who has a good rep. Ask around.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It depends on the hourly rate of the dealership. If you can find an independant shop it will more than likely be cheaper.
Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prices can vary wildly between dealerships. My dealer wanted a thousand dollars, tires and labor, to replace front and back. And a dealer might not appreciate someone bringing their own tire in cause they make good money on tire markup also, so they might get you extra for that to make up some of the difference. The rear tire is a little tougher to do than the front. Having said all this, it wouldn't be unusual for a dealer to charge $200 for labor only. PLUS, many people will want to change the tube also, and an Indian tube can cost as much as $80. I now do all my own tire changing. I buy two tires online (Jakes Tires) which cost me $420 for both. I also change the tube every other time and that costs me another $40 (both).(aftermarket) Your best bet is to find a good independent who has a good rep. Ask around.
Thanks

·
Rider
944 Posts
Anyone know how much I can expect to pay Indian to remove and replace the rear tire on my 2018 Chief Vintage? I have a new tire, so just their labor? Thanks!
Seriously wouldn't a phone call to a dealership be quicker and more accurate? If you wanted to mask that you have a tire then ask for a price and install, then ask install if you brought the tire in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seriously wouldn't a phone call to a dealership be quicker and more accurate? If you wanted to mask that you have a tire then ask for a price and install, then ask install if you brought the tire in.
Yes, you are right. But the dealership is closed right now, so I thought I'd ask on this fourm to get a general idea. Next time, of you don't like a question I post, maybe try ignoring it... seriously.

Reactions: boynton6spd

·
Registered
321 Posts
Cost me $250 to buy a rear tire and get it installed on my Scout.

A lot of the places around here do free tire install if you buy the tire there (obviously at an inflated price), or if you have your own tire you can pay the labor. Expect 1 to 1.5 hours for a back tire at about $140 an hour. Made sense to me to just buy the tire from them, but I know you already have the tire.

If you feel comfortable removing the wheel from the bike, Cycle Gear will mount the tire on the wheel and balance it for about $50 and you can do the rest yourself.

I'd try to go to a "powersports" place instead of the Indian dealer. They will probably be cheaper and just as qualified.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, you are right. But the dealership is closed right now, so I thought I'd ask on this fourm to get a general idea.
I just called my dealer, and they are having a special...$30 each tire to remove, and replace!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Assuming that's with the wheel already removed from the bike?
No. That's me taking them the new tire to put on. They take the wheel off, change the tire, and replace the whole thing. $30 is a great deal!

·
Rider
1,165 Posts
Cost me $250 to buy a rear tire and get it installed on my Scout.

A lot of the places around here do free tire install if you buy the tire there (obviously at an inflated price), or if you have your own tire you can pay the labor. Expect 1 to 1.5 hours for a back tire at about $140 an hour. Made sense to me to just buy the tire from them, but I know you already have the tire.

If you feel comfortable removing the wheel from the bike, Cycle Gear will mount the tire on the wheel and balance it for about $50 and you can do the rest yourself.

I'd try to go to a "powersports" place instead of the Indian dealer. They will probably be cheaper and just as qualified.
I live in a small town with a Honda powersports dealer. He charges a flat 1 hour labor for mounting and balancing the tires on my Scout. $75 per tire. Because his rates are so low I buy the tires from him, about $20 more each. I figure that I will get the fork oil changed with every tire change under the circumstances. The fork oil was pretty icky at 11K.

·
Rider
1,165 Posts
Yes, you are right. But the dealership is closed right now, so I thought I'd ask on this fourm to get a general idea.
I just called my dealer, and they are having a special...$30 each tire to remove, and replace!!!
Damn good, do it.

Reactions: Chichi scout

·
Registered
221 Posts
I find it easy to take my own wheels off and bring them to a motor sports shop where its a common thing to mount and high speed computer balance the tire,got mine done real cheap at cycle gear and if you buy the tires from them the mount and balance is 25$ per tire,if you bought the tires from someone else,they charge 50$ per tire,I like to do my own work on my bike but to balance the tires right and seat the beads correctly which I actually got to help the guy do it on the machine because those Metzlers fit so tight a shop mount is definitely a must,and that fire cracker sound when the bead seats at 175-200 psi is so satisfying with the slime flying everywhere

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
$500 for a rear tire at my HD dealership, like some here are doing, I’m going to find way cheaper ootion or learn to do it myself

·
Rider
944 Posts
We checked a small local bike shop here for a tire and he is priced way less than Indian and tire swap is also cheaper. They were slightly more than amazon but supporting a local shop is worth a couple of bucks.

Indian prices are out of line I can buy a tire and have them swap it when I bring in the wheel for less than Indian's "special price" for just the skin as the guy at the dealership said.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a Roadmaster, had my local dealer replace front and rear tires. Before I purchased the tires I offered to buy their tires if they could match the cost, they could not. I purchased the tires online and had them put them on. They charged me $150.00 to replace both tires (paid $312 for both tires, Michelin Commander 2's). Three months later I had a bolt go through the rear tire, hole was to big to patch, had to have a different dealer come get the bike and bring it to their shop and put on their tire. The dealer was 28 miles away. They charged me $545.00. I'm lucky, I have three motorcycle dealerships with in 15 miles of my home, any of them can mount tires for me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Cheapest option for me is buy tyres from an independent and take your own wheels off and let them fit them.If you have a lift the wheels are easy to remove on the 111s people still seem to think rear guards and exhausts have to come off. Its a quick and easy job to simply lift the bike pull the shock pin and the back end just swings down giving full and easy access to pull the axle and drop the wheel out. A dealer with all the gear and knowhow should be able to remove both wheels and change the tyres within an hour.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts