Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is simple. The answer is not so simple. I've read the other thread where Wal-Mart has them and have Googled 64mm filters (the correct size) and even ordered three of them. As each wrench came, it turned out to be the same size as I had; 64.7mm which would work if the filter is not tightly installed but won't work if it is. One 64.7mm wrench was even stamped 64 but was indeed 64.7 when measured. (64.7mm is popular for Toyota cars it seems) We have SuperWal-marts here - no wrench fitting the Indian filter. I've tried Autozone - nothing. I have called a few auto parts stores. The Indian dealers ship is not close and was out. The Indian Website does not list them. Okay, there's the rant.

Now, does anyone know of a brand and part number than fits a 2521421 Indian oil filter snugly? And please, not from a website saying such as I see tons of them. I guess I should say, does anyone have an end cap oil filter wrench fitting a 2521421 Indian oil filter snugly and if so, where did you get it? I'm not trying to be difficult here but it does seem like a simple question with a ton of companies saying they have one but they don't. Sorry in advance for the attitude.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This filter wrench https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER773149 fits everything from the huge ones on large diesels down to the little ones on bikes and lawn equipment. You loop the strap around the filter, turn the square drive counter clockwise until the slack is gone then you snap your 1/2" drive ratchet into the square hole to apply more counter clockwise force to it and no filter can defeat you. :cool: Once you crack it loose you just spin it off by hand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Or you just buy a K&N # 303 motorcycle oil filter. It has a hex head molded on the end so you can use a open and wrench to loosen. A lot better filter than stock.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Strap filter wrench... readily available at any auto parts store, cheap, and they work.
Indeed. I used strap wrenches also early on my military career when I was doing maintenance on Diesel engines . They get the job done !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gort, thanks for the input as that was going to be my next try. I already have quite an assortment of 64.7mm end cap wrenches that are supposed to be 64.0mm. I have strap wrenches and while they are usually a good alternative, I don't believe I have enough room on my bike (Challenger) plus there are wires near the mounting plate that you don't want to mess with. I have an old Indian oil filter that I carry in the car when I go by an auto parts store and will keep trying to find something to fit it. I was just so surprised on how hard it is to find a 64.0 mm end cap oil filter wrench and how many places try to sell their 64.7mm as 64.0mm. Inbetween time I will rig up a little gripper filler piece to use with the 64.7mm wrenches that I have. Thanks for each of your inputs though.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,081 Posts
I use a small strap wrench. You have to work it back and forth a little but does a good job.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
First of all,Indian [Polaris] is NOT in the oil filter manufacturing business.They build motorcycles,amongst other things, but things like oil filters,spark plugs,tires,etc., are put out for bid,and low bidder gets the contract.I use the Wix #51358 oil filter on my bike,which I also used on the last couple of bikes I owned.And,unless I miss my guess,Wix also makes these filters for Indian,but naturally,rebrands em with their name,a different part number,then places an over inflated price tag on em.[I bought the last Wix #51358 filters from Amazon and for lot less money then you'll pay for em at a STEALERSHIP !! ] The oil filter socket/wrench / tool [what ever ya wanna call it,lol] that fits this oil filter [the one I use,and have been using on just about all the motorcycles I've changed the oil and filters on over the years] is made by KD tools,Part# 3253, and sells for 5 or 6 bucks,atleast that's what I paid for it when I bought it a number of years ago!! So ya might wanna check Amazon for that too. Questions??????? Dave!!!

·
Rider
795 Posts

·
Rider
1,113 Posts
Picked up the Pennzoil cap from O'Reily's number 19908 65/67mm 14 flutes 3/8" drive, fits great, if you find one that's a bit loose, throw a small strip of cloth inside to snug it up to fit your filter

Reactions: Baron58

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all. Looks like I have a lot of choices to check out. I have encountered some of the responses before and ordered a couple as I said in the original post. What I'm finding out is that when I read the details, they kept saying the filter was 64mm but fitting Toyota cars. I have a 2018 Toyota and what fits it nicely is a 64.7mm. WHen I put those wrenches on the Indian filters, they get real loosy goosy almost to the point of slipping by a flute. Normally, that works. But if the filter is tight, it slips. Been there and did that with the Indian. Also, I noticed in some of the manufacturers 'details' that they measure the size differently than others. They don't use those words but 'measured inside not on the flute' or such. But to sum it up, I"ve never had such a hard time finding the exact fit on an oil filter before. But instead of getting frustrated, I just need to get back to the task at hand and do some more homework.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
If looseness is what you've encountered,then either ya have the wrong size socket wrench, or you're not getting it on the filter square.But,ya could also use a small oil filter strap wrench.I got four of em and in different sizes and the small strap wrench will work on the 111 motor cause theres' room to get it on and off and move it.And don't forget to apply a thin coat of oil on the rubber gasket on the new filter BEFORE ya screw it on.And when ya put the new filter on do NOT over tighten it,and ALWAYS check for leaks.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
If the looseness is what you've encountered then use a small oil filter strap wrench.I got four of them in different sizes and the small strap wrench will work on the 111 motor cause theres' room to get it on and off and move it.But when ya put the new filter on don't over tighten it.But ALWAYS check for leaks
... and always lubricate the rubber seal on the filter with a little oil. That will prevent the filter from being nearly impossible to loosen.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts