Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dealership in has been pretty good to me. I have been able to bring forth many informational issues to them that I have discovered through you (the forum), that they hadn't encountered at that time (flash upgrades for larger font, flash for the alarm, the cam noise and the different cam numbers).
My bike is in the shop right now, and I told them that my belt continues to loosen and that ther have some issues with belts/pulleys.
To his credit, he looked for service bulletins on this issue. He didn't find any, and did turn it in under warrantee. He said that Indian called him to question the belt pulley issue, and told him that they hadn't replaced any belt or pulleys for the issue of the rear pulley being cut wrong and creating a problem. It was my understanding that Indian had NOT replaced any belts or pulleys because of this.
I was told that the belt adjustment procedure was difficult and touchy, and that unless you have done it many times and it wasn't done just so, the belt would loosen.
Now if they are talking about the complete alignment issue as a whole, or the axle tightening that has to be done just right, I'm a little confused to the rocket science to a belt alignment, axle tightening, etc.
Is there a different part number, or upgraded part number for the rear pulley? Also, I heard mention of the ABS getting screwed up because of this (or am I mistaken?
What say you, Oh wise and experienced Indian forum members?

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I had a new belt and pulley put on my bike under warranty at 20,000 miles.
The 2016 have a different part number for the pulley and belt.

Reactions: Chas

·
Registered
152 Posts
My dealership in Sioux Falls, SD has been pretty good to me. I have been able to bring forth many informational issues to them that I have discovered through you (the forum), that they hadn't encountered at that time (flash upgrades for larger font, flash for the alarm, the cam noise and the different cam numbers).
My bike is in the shop right now, and I told them that my belt continues to loosen. The service managers response was that I "spend to much time on the forums".
To his credit, he looked for service bulletins on this issue, and did turn it in under warrantee. He said that Indian called him to question the belt pulley issue, and told him that they hadn't replaced any belt or pulleys for the issue of the rear pulley being cut wrong and creating a problem. It was my understanding that Indian had NOT replaced any belts or pulleys because of this.
I was told that the belt adjustment procedure was difficult and touchy, and that unless you have done it many times and it wasn't done just so, the belt would loosen.
Now if they are talking about the complete alignment issue as a whole, or the axle tightening that has to be done just right, I'm a little confused to the rocket science to a belt alignment, axle tightening, etc.
Is there a different part number, or upgraded part number for the rear pulley? Also, I heard mention of the ABS getting screwed up because of this (or am I mistaken?
What say you, Oh wise and experienced Indian forum members?
My dealer has ordered me a new pulley and belt to stop the squeeling issue. He will come to my house 50 miles away pick up my bike install it and then return my bike to my house. He told me Indian would pick up the tab. It is all under warranty. There is a lot of crap on the internet and all is not 100% truth, but it sounds like your dealer should be giving dance lessons instead of working on motorcycles.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealer has ordered me a new pulley and belt to stop the squeeling issue. He will come to my house 50 miles away pick up my bike install it and then return my bike to my house. He told me Indian would pick up the tab. It is all under warranty. There is a lot of crap on the internet and all is not 100% truth, but it sounds like your dealer should be giving dance lessons instead of working on motorcycles.
My dealer has tried to place it with Polaris as a warrantee item. It is Polaris that responded that they were not aware of this issue. I can't remember if I mentioned the belt squealing also, but I did mention that some of you had experienced these issues and your dealer had replaced the pulleys and/or belt.
I don't hold my dealership at fault if they are being told something different by corporate. If my dealership hasn't experienced it as of yet, they at least seem to try.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I also had the belt, pulley and cush drive replaced under warranty just a couple of months ago. No issues w/ Polaris at all once the dealer explained that the belt was in adjustment but still noisy. What is your dealer telling Polaris?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
It's a noise issue. Polaris requires the dealer to perform multiple adjustments to attempt to eliminate the noise, if it continues to squeal, they will then authorize replacing the pulley and bearing. In some instances, they will also replace the belt and/or the cush drive, or maybe not. They have been very inconsistent with their coverage of this issue, and tell different stories to different people when contacted about it, including different dealers. They act like people can't possibly communicate with each other and compare notes about their experiences with the company and it's service.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also had the belt, pulley and cush drive replaced under warranty just a couple of months ago. No issues w/ Polaris at all once the dealer explained that the belt was in adjustment but still noisy. What is your dealer telling Polaris?
I can only assume that the dealer told Polaris what I had told them. What are the issues and which model years are having issues with the cush drive?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I don't know that there are any issues with the cush drive. The only real issue that I have had has been an almost constant squeal from the belt/pulley area, regardless of the adjustment, in the presence of any water what so ever, riding in rain, through a puddle, or even just on a humid day. It got so bad I was literally screaming at the Polaris rep on the phone about it. The dealer had to verify the condition to them and then they replaced my pulley, bearing, and belt. Others I know of, same type of noise issue, have had just the pulley and bearing replaced, or the pulley, bearing, and cush drive. If you don't have a noise issue, verified by the dealership, Polaris does not approve replacing anything.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Mine sounded like the Devil himself riding ***** and dragging his fingernails down an endless chalkboard.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can only assume that the dealer told Polaris what I had told them. What are the issues and which model years are having issues with the cush drive?
Can't say which model years are having issues w/ the cush drive although the new bikes also have a new cush drive part number. I haven't heard of many bikes that were having cush drive issues but mine sure was.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
My 2014 Chieftain had severe belt chirping all the first summer I rode it. The dealership that I bought it from, Twin Cities Indian of St. Paul, couldn't fix it by adjusting the belt and refused replace the belt and rear pully where the problem was, under warranty. I spoke with an attorney. He told me to try one more dealership. I did this with Tytler Cycle Indian of Green Bay. They replaced the defective pully with the upgraded pully, different part number and design. They also replaced the original belt with a new belt, no arguments, no questions, no problem. No trouble with belt drive since then. Your dealership is giving you the bums rush.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since I don't hear as well as I used to, I don't hear the chirp and squeal all the time. It does drive my wife crazy when she rides with.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Maybe one of you guys that have had the work performed under warranty could share a copy of the work ticket with Builder. Might give him a little ammo with his dealer.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have had mine adjusted 4 times now on my 14 Chieftain and it still squeals. Usually when I first start off for a mile or two then quites down. But it really sounds like hell though. I guess they will adjust it again when I can get it to there shop 2 hrs away " after the snow melts enought for me to get it there. Deffently want it done before Daytona bikeweek.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
What were the complaints that you had BD?
This a crazy story, but one worth telling.

My current gig has me doing commuting of 175 miles a day...in all weather.
It takes dedication coupled with careful choices of riding equipment to make this happen.
A cat that rides down to Dairy Queen can get by with a little piss pot novelty helmet, but I can't.

I was wearing a full face Arai helmet with earplugs....like all of the other hardcore riders I know.
I HONESTLY wasn't aware that my belt was squealing because I couldn't hear it.
Most of the time I don't ride with a wimpshield either.

I would suit up, roll the hammer back, pin the cruise control at 85mph, and not let up until I rolled into the gate at work, an hour or so later. Coming home it was the same way until I rolled into the ranch gate.

Then I started reading about others who had a belt squeal and squall. I got to looking at my Service Schedule and a saw that at 30,000 miles they called for a belt replacement as a normal wear item. At the time I had 20,000 miles on my bike.
Might be a good time to see....right?

I rode 10 miles into town with my train driver hat, no helmet, no earplugs....I'll be damned....my belt was squealing. I rode around for two hours like that and it didn't get better. I never heard it with my full face and earplugs....honestly.

At 20,000 miles I was ready for my first set of tires too. The star chart was aligned for all of this to happen with one fall of the ax.

I'm telling you all of this detail because it's important to look how it went going in to fully appreciate how good it looked coming out.

I went to my dealer fully expecting to pay for BOTH front and rear tires....they gave me a new rear tire. Browning of the whitewall warranty claim.
I fully expected to pay for a new belt and pulley, or be jerked around with endless attempts at adjustments. I told them that I was not a hobby rider and that i needed my bike now and everyday and I needed it to be right. I didn't have time to play around.

I was fully prepared to pay for a new belt and pulley but i told them what I had learned right here on this forum. I told them that the factory was replacing the 14/15 belts and pulleys with 2016 parts that by the way, had a different part number on each. The tech verified what I told him about the part numbers by looking in the computer and it was a done deal....free.

Again, I expected to pay for that rear tire and got it free.
With 20,000 miles on a bike that was out of the 1st year warranty....with a pending belt replacement in just another 10,000 miles on the service schedule? Let me say that I had what i thought were realistic expectations....pay up and shut up.

Once again, Indian Motorcycle has exceeded all of my expectations with spectacular customer service.

About 95% of the problems that i read about here are caused by dealerships not stepping up for their customers, not a lack of concern or response by Indian Motorcycle.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't know that there are any issues with the cush drive. The only real issue that I have had has been an almost constant squeal from the belt/pulley area, regardless of the adjustment, in the presence of any water what so ever, riding in rain, through a puddle, or even just on a humid day. It got so bad I was literally screaming at the Polaris rep on the phone about it. The dealer had to verify the condition to them and then they replaced my pulley, bearing, and belt. Others I know of, same type of noise issue, have had just the pulley and bearing replaced, or the pulley, bearing, and cush drive. If you don't have a noise issue, verified by the dealership, Polaris does not approve replacing anything.
WhissbangKC, and Forum Members;

I know from first hand experience, NOTHING gets approved for repair unless the issues are FIRST correctly reported to Polaris. I too had the identical "belt chirping", and it was corrected by the mechanic, but I was charged for the labor. With over 5K on her clock, the belt remains quiet. So far, I think my dealership provides a high level of service on their bikes, (with the exception of having to pay for the belt issue) don't have any issues with the dealership. In all probably I'd purchase another Indian and have it serviced there!

I hope all Forum members with the belt concern have the opportunity to read this!

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got a call from my dealership today about my belt and pulley. They got on the horn with corporate and gave them a little butt rash about what other dealerships have been claiming. They are going to replace my belt and pulley. :D
Now the other news is.....I have an oil weep behind the starter and they got the OK to split my cases to repair. :confused:Not sure if I want to have my cases split for a weep even if it is a warrantee thing. I was told they looked at three more they had out back, and found them to weep also, and have gotten the OK to fix them.
So, in the end, Sioux Falls Indian really pulls through.:cool:

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm electing not to have them split my cases right now. I found it very minimal. I praise Sioux Falls Indian on finding it and making the calls to corporate and getting the belt and pulley replaced, and being diligent on the oil weep. I told him If I had to make the call on what they considered an issue with minor weeping, I'm not so sure I would have gone as far as to consider it a problem. So we will wait for the time being.
They did this with no further contact with me also, besides informing me of the coverage. I feel Curt (service manager) really want to make me happy...and I am. Cudos.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts