Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started carrying Corbin seats for the Chief bikes and I got a chance to take it for a ride today. Short 1 hour ride to lunch and back, so not a "long term review" by any means. Still, seeing as I've logged some mileage on other Corbins this might still be useful for some people. The seat was installed on a Chieftain so it's seating position might feel a bit different on a Classic, Vintage, or Dark Horse due to different handle bar positions.

First some observations:

- As is usual with Corbin's, the seat is very hard at first. The usual recommendation is a minimum of 1000 miles before they break in. Still, upon initially plopping down on one the first thing you notice is how firm it is.

-The seat sits you much further back. Taller riders take note! If you are tall and feel the original seat had you a little pushed forward and cramped, this will feel a lot roomier.

-The stretched diamond stitched pattern is gorgeous. The leather is also of very good quality. The stitching and workmanship is top notch. Though the fringe is cut from a much thinner leather than stock it still feels really nice in your hand.

-The tan leather seat is a little different to the Dessert Tan color that Indian uses as it has a few "swirls" and almost a marbled look to it (See pics below). Still looks great though.

-There is a similar flap for a driver's backrest, but upon inspection it seems it's for a Corbin unit only and will not work with the stock Indian unit.

All in all a good addition to the Indian aftermarket universe. Corbin's been in the game for a long time and this seems like another top-notch product. Though seats are like shoes in the sense that it's all about a personal fit, I can attest that if you've had Corbin's in the past and know what to expect you'll love this seat.

Corbin seat black 1.JPG
Corbin seat black 2.JPG
corbin seat black 4.JPG
Corbin seaty black 3.JPG
Corbin seat tan 2.JPG
corbin seat tan 1.JPG

·
Registered
362 Posts
Great seats, took mine about 1500 miles to break in, but after that it gets better every ride. Not sure about their tan, doesn't seem to match any of the Indian stuff from what I've seen, black matches perfectly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am very pleased with my Corbin seat for my 2015 Chief Classic. For me, having the additional two inches in sitting further back was crucial. Also, for me, I had to get the backrest. It makes a huge difference when riding on roads with bumps and dips. Here in New Orleans, our streets are awful, and having the backrest to absorb the cracks in the road helps a lot.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Love mine (both of them with a third on the way). Good news is that the backrest from my Victory seat fits the RM/ Chieftain seat so I just swap it.
image.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
Love mine (both of them with a third on the way). Good news is that the backrest from my Victory seat fits the RM/ Chieftain seat so I just swap it.
View attachment 21005
Nice RMVic, also like the bars.....who's the manufacturer on the bars.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,457 Posts
Nice seats. My problem would be the seating position needs to remain the same as stock. I don't need to be pushed back. Also as I understand it the luggage racks won't work with the Corbin's? I have had a Corbin before and they are very nice seats.

·
Founding member
2,081 Posts
Corbin makes two different seats for our bikes. One is the larger size which places you back about 1.5" and is wider than the OEM seat (Indian backrest/rack will not fit on this one). The other is sized similar to the OEM seat and will allow the use of the Indian backrest/rack.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Corbin makes a reasonable seat, but far from the best, and vastly overpriced. The ride on the 4 or 5 I have had in the past were always a little harsh for me. The company and it's sales policies are entirely inadequate. We will NOT being buying Corbin seats in the future, especially not used seats. Corbin will not support any hardware from any seat they make unless.... 1. you can prove to them you personally bought it from them. Not another party. 2. If they still have the hardware in stock you might get it, or will be told it is on backorder 3 weeks after you have ordered it and call to find out where it went. 3. You are ready for days of discussion, arguing and confusion from their entire sales staff starting with the part time summer help that answers the phones. - No Corbins for us. There are better seats.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Corbin makes a reasonable seat, but far from the best, and vastly overpriced. The ride on the 4 or 5 I have had in the past were always a little harsh for me. The company and it's sales policies are entirely inadequate. We will NOT being buying Corbin seats in the future, especially not used seats. Corbin will not support any hardware from any seat they make unless.... 1. you can prove to them you personally bought it from them. Not another party. 2. If they still have the hardware in stock you might get it, or will be told it is on backorder 3 weeks after you have ordered it and call to find out where it went. 3. You are ready for days of discussion, arguing and confusion from their entire sales staff starting with the part time summer help that answers the phones. - No Corbins for us. There are better seats.
.....and who do you recommend for a "better" seat?

·
Registered
100 Posts
.....and who do you recommend for a "better" seat?
Hi, I have not slapped a new seat on my new Indian but in the past, Mustang seats were always more comfortable, better looking, and a better fit for rider and passenger. They also fit the bikes better with fewer adapters and goofy mounting plates. I almost always have a passenger so it is important they feel comfortable too.
DayLong seats are simply the best in the world. But they are kind of goofy looking. You going to Patagonia? DayLong. The one I put on a 2006 Harley Roadking was simply amazing. It was better than the bike.....
I have also had great luck the Heathers Leathers seats for my classic bikes. that is one on my '46 Chief in the picture. Wayne can be iffy to deal with (he is on again off again), and makes mistakes but when he gets it right it is a show piece and will last forever, that seat and luggage are now 12 years old and have been in some serious long term weather and look and fit new. His stitching will never come loose.
Diamond seats were also really plush and comfortable. They wear out faster because of being over padded but you can do your Iron Butt ride on one better than a Corbin.
Then there is just taking your seat pan for the Indian down and getting a great seat made locally. Have it fit just to you and your passenger. Cost is usually the same as buying one.
And if you like looks, La Pera is nice, but not that comfortable. Padded more like a Corbin.
And in my humble opinion of 40 motorcycles and 51 years of riding, they are all better than the Corbins I have had and offer better service.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts