Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow tribespersons (I hope that isn't too far from Politically Incorrect)! I just traded my Scout 60 in for a new Super Chief Unlimited. Since the SCU is air cooled, I was wondering about some cooling fans that I saw available from Dennis Kirk. Any comments about adding them to the SCU?. I worry about the heat buildup on a 116 engine. Thanks and Many, Many carefree miles to all you two-wheel riders!

· Registered
67 Posts
My friend wanted fans on her Harley. I said it looks like they will just blow hot air on your right leg. She bought them and I installed them.
She said they blow hot air on her right leg...go figure!
My personal opinion: good for your engine, bad for your right leg.
Maybe others will chime in and, if so, I'll be anxious to read their opinions.

· German Rider
2,740 Posts
Hi fellow tribespersons (I hope that isn't too far from Politically Incorrect)! I just traded my Scout 60 in for a new Super Chief Unlimited. Since the SCU is air cooled, I was wondering about some cooling fans that I saw available from Dennis Kirk. Any comments about adding them to the SCU?. I worry about the heat buildup on a 116 engine. Thanks and Many, Many carefree miles to all you two-wheel riders!
It is a personal thing, the heat. I got no heat problems on my 2018 Roadmaster. Coming from a 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan VN1700 Voyager. That thing was water-cooled and way more hot between the legs, than my Roadmaster. So for me, everything is cool.

Maybe, just ride it first a few hundred miles and then make a decision.....

Cu,
Sven

· Registered
2020 Indian Roadmster Dark Horse
57 Posts
I had the Love Jugs put on at Sturgis. Amsoil Dan was selling them. He has an older Harley with them on it. Has Amsoil in it too. He starts the Harley and lets it idle 10 plus hours without it overheating. This is everyday at every rally, all day long.
I got into some hundred degree temps after I purchased my 2020. I pulled the Winchester grade in Idaho and it was 113 that day. I think it might be a little different in Idaho when it hits 100. We are pulling some steep mountain passes. as opposed to running on the flats in 100 degree temps. Running across the flats last year to Sturgis was 103.
I love my Love Jugs.
I did look at the Ultra cool system prior. They are thermostatically controlled and cool the oil down by 50 degrees. If you add their oil filter system it takes 10 more. They claim it will run same temps as a water cooled engine.

· Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
945 Posts
I suspect the bike can take the heat for many enjoyable miles. If you are moving there should be no issue at all, if you do a lot of stop and go riding, yes, your leg and butt may get hot, but unless you are stuck at a train crossing (turn it off) the bike will be fine. I'm no mechanic just my opinion.

· Registered
2022 Springfield 111 Black & Tan
570 Posts
The Thunderstroke engine is air and oil cooled.The heads carry 60 lbs oil pressure and the 2020 & up have a larger oil capacity.I live in Arizona and my 2022 111 Springfield is the coolest running of all the 3 Thunderstrokes I have owned.My 2017 was a 116 BBK and ran quite a bit hotter than any of the 111s.Bigger,more compression=hotter.
That being said,When I worked for Indian Motorcycle in NW Arkansas, we had a customer start his Thunderstroke one winter day.He left it in the garage and forgot about it.The bike got so hot that it melted all the rubber hoses and plastic parts till it quit running.Kinda suprised it did not catch fire.Anyway,the bike was trailered to the shop to have all the fried parts replaced.The bike still ran like new.No oil consumption or loss of power.
Lastly,those love jugs look like $hit! But if the bike is just going to sit running,any shop fan will work.
My 2014 Chieftain had 95,000 miles and was never apart when I traded it for my 2017.After doing the BBK on the 2017(50,000) it was a moody bike not suitable for me so I got a great deal on my Springfield 111/stg2.Keepin her 4 sure.

· Premium Member
2022 Indian Chief Bobber
193 Posts
How much quality time have you added to your life by worrying? Trust the Indian engineers who designed the motor.

· Premium Member
2022 Chief Darkhorse
833 Posts
Last summer I got stuck in a traffic jam on the freeway in 98 degree weather. It was stop and go for an hour. The bike did fine. I was pretty dehydrated afterwards but the bike was great!
Based on that experience, and as others have said, I’m sure the Polaris engineers took into account that there will times that our bikes will sit running. Additional cooling won’t hurt anything, but I don’t think it’s a necessity unless the bike is constantly left idling in extreme heat for extended periods of time.

· Registered
2022 Springfield 111 Black & Tan
570 Posts
www.httpsultracoolfl.com I am installing the next time.
I had the original one on my 2006 HD and the bike ran hotter.We used a lazer temp gun and the company took it back.The gave me a full refund.
The newer one looks like it may work better but not worth my money.The Indian oil/air cooled engine has no issues in the 116+ temps here in Arizona.

· Registered
2020 Indian Roadmster Dark Horse
57 Posts
I had the original one on my 2006 HD and the bike ran hotter. We used a lazer temp gun and the company took it back.The gave me a full refund.
The newer one looks like it may work better but not worth my money. The Indian oil/air cooled engine has no issues in the 116+ temps here in Arizona.
Good to know. It seems I have a slight knock when mine is hot. If I run it hard all day long in hot weather. When I slow down going through towns maybe going 10 -25. Doesn't do it when I stop.
I contacted Lloydz and they said they could change the timing possibly.
This is why I am looking at the cooling fans.
I have been in the Rogers Indian dealership several times. Seem to be good people in there. I saw on here you were working there a while back.

· Bronze member
6,277 Posts
The New Chief line are much smaller motorcycles, and you are sitting right on top of a large engine. The bike needs to move, and regardless, you will feel the heat. The heavyweights, the rider sits up and away from the engine, so the heat is not as bad.

· Founding member / Distinguished
7,164 Posts
Yes that's very true. I sit more close to the engine on my Super Chief Limited and the exhaust comes much closer to my right leg. I have to be careful even with jeans on not to touch the exhaust system while I'm stopped. It's very hot.

· Registered
2022 Indian Chief
1,033 Posts
If you want to really feel the heat off an engine, go ride a '19 FTR... sometimes I wonder if my Chief is even running since it's so cool sitting in traffic lol.

Heat perception is all relative I guess. I'm sure the engineers know what they're doing and there won't be any heat related issues, especially with the rear cylinder deactivation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts