Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! I wanted to ask if anyone has ever used the passenger seat for carrying luggage or a cooler? I would like to commute to work some but do not yet have a luggage rack. Is it possible to use the passenger seat and a cargo net hooked to the grab bars maybe? Any information is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Rider
1,408 Posts
It is very difficult to pass any strapping under the seat. Cargo netting onto it would just be a compromise and worry me too much about losing the gear. Go buy a rack and if you board it out against debris it acts as a great crud and dirt deflector if you’ve ditched the possum scraper number plate holder.

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Registered
84 Posts
with the FTR as my only mode of transport I go to the shops often and come back loaded up like this, I had a fun haul the other day with about twice the groceries in the back and also some things strapped down to the tank using ROK straps.
Havn't lost anything, so far..

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
539 Posts
I just bought a tail bag on amazon (still don't have it yet). I hope its not too hard to pass under the seat (according to the instructions you need to remove the seat and then push the seat back down on top of the straps to secure it. Once the straps are there, they stay there permanently and you can just unbuckle the bag and take it with you, leaving the straps attached to the bike. I'll let you know how it works out. I also got the rear luggage rack directly from Indian (also waiting on deliver of that as well) but that is made for use with a cargo net as well.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
539 Posts
Finally got the tail bag in. Works and fits great, however as @K9F has said, it is an absolute pain to get the strapping right to go under the seat. An hour and two beers later, I finally got it so it's not sliding all over the place and so theres enough room for the buckles. Not a fun time but its just big enough for what I need it for. It would also make a good lunch box, as you can unclip it and carry it by the handle.

·
Rider
1,408 Posts
With my recent experience of an air filter change when I have to pass straps under again I think I'll just whip out the two seat retaining bolts and just lift the seat to pass the straps under. I used long cable ties last time and once they were through taped the straps to them and gently pulled the cable ties back out pulling the straps under. Was a bit fiddly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts