Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so it's getting cold in the west of Canada and riding is almost over for the season, so time for some silly questions.
I was looking over the bike yesterday getting ready to store it for the winter months and notice a couple of things.
1. There is burnt bug juice from my last couple of rides on the heat shields that WILL not come off. I have tried soap, bug and tar remover, chrome cleaner, scraping with finger nail, paint thinner
and Goof Off.
2. My passenger seat is faded to two different shades of black, Indian refuses to replace it.

Any ideas?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,048 Posts
2. My passenger seat is faded to two different shades of black, Indian refuses to replace it.

Any ideas?
Good Morning,

The desert sun down here in the Chihuahuan Desert is hard on leather. I saddlesoap the seat well, apply black Kiwi liquid boot dye, and oil the whole shebang well with Montana Pitch-blend Leather Dressing. Leave it sit in the sun so the dressing soaks in well then buff the seat with a soft cloth. Might suggest to your passenger that white britches should be avoided the first few rides after this...
--- Randall

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
OK, so it's getting cold in the west of Canada and riding is almost over for the season, so time for some silly questions.
I was looking over the bike yesterday getting ready to store it for the winter months and notice a couple of things.
1. There is burnt bug juice from my last couple of rides on the heat shields that WILL not come off. I have tried soap, bug and tar remover, chrome cleaner, scraping with finger nail, paint thinner
and Goof Off.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
You could try purple slice chrome cleaner. This stuff is so good it cleaned up the yellowing on my 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 800. I have not seen anything it would not remove without damage

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try hydrogen peroxide. Bugs are mostly protein and H2O2 just bubbles them up. Ironically I got the info from a Canadian gent on a Gold wing in Alaska. Works great on blood too.. After a bad trauma we used the stuff like water to clean the room up, and that's another story…
mitch

·
Registered
723 Posts
Mitch, I just threw up a little in my mouth but you're right.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I highly recommend Easy-Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner, I swear by that stuff, turns bugs, burnt rubber marks, and road tar right off like it's water, amazing! Now it's a cleaner, not a polish, I use an old product to polish and detail my chrome, Dupont Chrome Polish. Wipe on let set for a few minutes, buff off.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CDN, how many miles do you have on the bike?
Only around 3000 kms. But Indian came through unexpectedly and replaced my passenger seat with a brand new one!
That gave me a little more hope for good service.

Reactions: Chief KP

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try hydrogen peroxide. Bugs are mostly protein and H2O2 just bubbles them up. Ironically I got the info from a Canadian gent on a Gold wing in Alaska. Works great on blood too.. After a bad trauma we used the stuff like water to clean the room up, and that's another story…
mitch
Thanks Mitch, will try that too.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I learned from my wife about a "magic" substance used for cleaning everything. It is eucalyptus oil. It removed for me some permanent marker writing from a plastic cover . Mate ...it is magic....try it. Good for everthing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts