Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, first post!

I will be picking up my 2015 Scout from FL in the next couple weeks. I got a great deal on it, so I bought it knowing that the reduced reach foot controls were not going to work well for me and I'd have to change them.

What I'd like to know is, what's the process like for changing them out? I'm reasonably handy, so is this just a bolt-on/bolt-off kinda thing?

For that matter, has anybody got standard or extended controls who might be looking to trade for reduced?

Thanks!

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
You will need the original length shift linkage (rod) for the shifter side and on the passenger side you will be just removing the two bolts and then removing the reduced reach brackets and then reinstalling the controls lining up with the original holes and reinstalling the two bolts. When you remove the reduced reach brackets the controls will move approximately 1/4" closer to the bike (the width of the reduced reach brackets). This was the original position of the controls. Now I installed extended reach controls on mine and it came with a 2" longer shifter rod and a longer rear brake cable which is NOT necessary on ABS models but IS necessary on non ABS models. The Indian website says that the reduced reach kit comes with an "extended" shifter linkage also. This is wrong as thing would never work. It also says that extended reach controls don't work on ABS bikes. Also wrong and confirmed by Polaris by telephone and my own installation experience. It would stand to reason that the reduced reach set came with a shorter linkage which is why I am pretty sure you will need the original to go back to standard position. Other than that you shouldn't need anything else.
To continue to the Brake side of the changeover... You may have to replace the hose to the brake reservoir and rear calipers.
If your not conversant with bleeding brakes you could have some problems.
Mostly bolt on stuff on the clutch side, but it is a little more complicated on the brake side of the bike.

·
10,006 Posts
If he is going from reduced reach back to stock he won't have to. But if he is going from reduced reach or stock to extended reach then he will need to change that brake line. But I do know from experience and AlPal's old write up on this that you do not need to change the brake line at all on the ABS models because there is plenty of slack.
True, I was just warning him about the possibilities....
Some of the kits come with new brake lines.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Hey folks, first post!

I will be picking up my 2015 Scout from FL in the next couple weeks. I got a great deal on it, so I bought it knowing that the reduced reach foot controls were not going to work well for me and I'd have to change them.

What I'd like to know is, what's the process like for changing them out? I'm reasonably handy, so is this just a bolt-on/bolt-off kinda thing?

For that matter, has anybody got standard or extended controls who might be looking to trade for reduced?

Thanks!
Welcome! Your going to love the bike! Even if cramped at first!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @Hatt !

I'm excited about it. It's a first bike for me, though I've been riding when I can (demos and wherever they'll let me) for about 5 years. The bike has already been outfitted with highway bars, and I've read in a couple places that the forward controls may not be compatible with them. Is there any truth to this?

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Great bike to start with!!
I dont know it to be fact,, but from what I have also deduced it seems there is some truth.. I know @RBinTEX has bars.. he may chime in to shine some light

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
To add,, I have standard pegs, a extended reach seat. Im 6'2" 34" inseam and I find it comfortable.. I used to want extended reach pegs, till I got the seat..then noticing how my feet sit on pegs, thought wow, I think if I went with extended that my feet would sit in more of a way that would make it easy to slide off.. I find my self tucking my feet under the levers now on long rides to hold them for me.. lol.. just my 2 cents of my experience..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To add,, I have standard pegs, a extended reach seat. Im 6'2" 34" inseam and I find it comfortable.. I used to want extended reach pegs, till I got the seat..then noticing how my feet sit on pegs, thought wow, I think if I went with extended that my feet would sit in more of a way that would make it easy to slide off.. I find my self tucking my feet under the levers now on long rides to hold them for me.. lol.. just my 2 cents of my experience..
I had considered the extended reach seat, but it seems to me that someone said that interferes with the passenger pillion seat. I want my wife to be able to hop on the back when the time comes. I've ridden the standard setup several times at various dealerships and that has always felt comfortable, but I imagine time will tell...

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you already have the reduced reach foot control spacer brackets you are able to tell how much they will move the controls closer to the bike.

When I had them installed I was kinda taken by surprise that the bracket moved the controls out as much as they did.

As mentioned the only thing included in the reduced reach kit are the 2 brackets and the shift linkage.

·
10,006 Posts
Great bike to start with!!
I dont know it to be fact,, but from what I have also deduced it seems there is some truth.. I know @RBinTEX has bars.. he may chime in to shine some light
I started out with the OEM bars and then sold them and got the Aeromach black powder coated bars because they were flat across the top instead of slanting downward like the OEM bars.
I don't have reduced reach or extended reach pegs on the bike because I have the Aeromach floor boards with heel/toe shiftier and I am able to extend or retard my legs on any portion of the boards for comfort.
And I can lay my heels on top of the Aeromach bars when I really want to stretch out.

I do know from sitting on a Scout with the extended reach pegs on it that they move the pegs "outward" a substantial amount of distance away from the center line of the bike when they are moved forward. Which felt very uncomfortable to me.
I have heard that the reduced reach are the same way, effectively widening the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a Scout that is already set up with extended reach pegs and controls. Problem is, I'd like it back to the standard setup. Does anyone have any suggestions for the easiest and least expensive way to do this. I don't have any of the original parts that were taken off the bike. Will I need to change the shift rod and brake line? Anything else?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just purchased a Scout that is already set up with extended reach pegs and controls. Problem is, I'd like it back to the standard setup. Does anyone have any suggestions for the easiest and least expensive way to do this. I don't have any of the original parts that were taken off the bike. Will I need to change the shift rod and brake line? Anything else?
You might be able to find someone willing to swap parts with you. Win/win situation.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The extended reach pegs is just a bracket right?
So to revert back from say extended reach pegs would just mean to remove the bracket?
What im getting at is if my dealer swapped over from standatd to extended reach pegs fo they owe me a standard bracket?
I got nothing handed back to me but the rear brake cable
Thanks
Liam

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
The extended reach pegs is just a bracket right?
So to revert back from say extended reach pegs would just mean to remove the bracket?
What im getting at is if my dealer swapped over from standatd to extended reach pegs fo they owe me a standard bracket?
I got nothing handed back to me but the rear brake cable
Thanks
Liam
You will need the standard length gear change rod. Or you could alter the long one, but,.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Baron - say, as WhiteAngus pointed out, I may be interested in a swap - extended for standard reach. I also recently purchased an Indian scout (2015) though wont be taking possession for another month, however, I wanted to touch base & see if you might be interested in a swap? The bike I've bought is at my brother-in-law's, and he can verify the foot controls, though I do believe their standard reach. My bike does have an engine guard - so hoping the extended reach would still work (I'll check into this)? In any event, if potentially interested, let me know & we go from there. Thanks Baron - cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts