Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I waited several weeks to post this as I don't want to get anyone in trouble. Went to visit the other dealer in So. Florida because I wanted to see his showroom, stock etc. Very nice guy on the phone with me when I bought my bike in July. Figured I'd see what was going on down there. I am smack in the middle of both dealers 20 miles in either direction. This is what he told me about Polaris / Indian and the dealers.
1) Stock is closely guarded. He told me how pre-orders which are allocated to dealers MUST be titled within 10 days of the bike's arrival in the computer system or it gets "red tagged." This was put in place to prevent Dealers from saying they had pre orders on say 15 Scouts when they only have orders for 10. Polaris takes this VERY seriously and dealers have lost their Dealerships over this issue.
2) Dealer fees, once set, can not be toyed with. Once a Dealer sets this fee ALL must pay it! No friends and family discounts here.
3) The price they MUST sell these bikes for is CLOSELY monitored so as not to bastardize the line and to keep prices up. This goes hand in hand with not flooding the market with tons of bikes. Think supply and demand.
4) Dealers who break rules get a red check (lack of better term) 3 red checks, your out.
5) Indian knows what they are giving for the buck they are charging. They are providing a fantastic product with terrific stock appointments especially when contrasted with the competition, and the prices are right.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Interesting info. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I was re-reading this and started thinking about the "10 days to title" once in the computer. Wouldn't a vin being created be that point? If that is the case, they will be busting their you know what to get them to the dealer :D Something to think about :D

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
walking the fine line between getting your product into the consumers hands but controlling the #'s to create demand for the product that will bring in strong pricing.

All fine and dandy but hope that they don't settle for what is done without making improvements to the product.

My Chieftain is a great bike, but we all know there are improvements needed. Minor ones but there are some.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is always room for improvement. I am not just speaking about the bikes but also the " back room stuff" such as Indian Riders Group, accessories availability, parts for service availability etc............

·
Registered
497 Posts
Seems like the dealers are being penalized for the accessory problem. Since the accessories are behind, if the dealer orders a bike with a bunch of accessories, then the ship date is longer. If the dealer orders a stock bike to get one in and then add the accessories, it takes a long time. Either way the dealer has to face an unhappy customer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So I waited several weeks to post this as I don't want to get anyone in trouble. Went to visit the other dealer in So. Florida because I wanted to see his showroom, stock etc. Very nice guy on the phone with me when I bought my bike in July. Figured I'd see what was going on down there. I am smack in the middle of both dealers 20 miles in either direction. This is what he told me about Polaris / Indian and the dealers.
1) Stock is closely guarded. He told me how pre-orders which are allocated to dealers MUST be titled within 10 days of the bike's arrival in the computer system or it gets "red tagged." This was put in place to prevent Dealers from saying they had pre orders on say 15 Scouts when they only have orders for 10. Polaris takes this VERY seriously and dealers have lost their Dealerships over this issue.
2) Dealer fees, once set, can not be toyed with. Once a Dealer sets this fee ALL must pay it! No friends and family discounts here.
3) The price they MUST sell these bikes for is CLOSELY monitored so as not to bastardize the line and to keep prices up. This goes hand in hand with not flooding the market with tons of bikes. Think supply and demand.
4) Dealers who break rules get a red check (lack of better term) 3 red checks, your out.
5) Indian knows what they are giving for the buck they are charging. They are providing a fantastic product with terrific stock appointments especially when contrasted with the competition, and the prices are right.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any additional "pressures" on new dealers? One opening soon in the Cincinnati area finally- Loveland Maderia Rd exit off I-275(northeast of Cincinnati,@ past VW dealership),Sounds like there will be very little negotiating room available/allowed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know that it's pressure. I think they are running a tight ship. Discounts on accessories, gift cards for apparel, things of that nature the dealers have wiggle room.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts